Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DIGITAL is not ART !

DIGITAL is not ART !

Roland Karlsson

"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:GVQ9d.8056$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Very little photography, whether digital or chemistry-based, is art.
>
> Photography is photography. It doesn't have to pretend to be something
> it is not, and such pretense is important only to poseurs.

Very litle is art IMHO. Oil on a canvas does not make art either.

/Roland

Roland Karlsson

"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:GVQ9d.8056$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Very little photography, whether digital or chemistry-based, is art.

Just do clearify - to me art is an artefact that moves me.
Something that starts emotions and/or thoughts that I did
not know was there. Thats the main thing. Of course - there
also needs to be some kind of skill involved, either technical
and/or creative.

/Roland

Nostrobino

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:GVQ9d.8056$(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Very little photography, whether digital or chemistry-based, is art.

> Just do clearify - to me art is an artefact that moves me.
> Something that starts emotions and/or thoughts that I did
> not know was there. Thats the main thing.

Art does not require anything of that kind, though of course it is nice when
it does that. There's a lot of art that doesn't move me in the least, but is
still art.

> Of course - there
> also needs to be some kind of skill involved, either technical
> and/or creative.

It requires some kind of serious human effort. There doesn't have to be much
if anything in the way of skill. When a kiddie in kindergarten makes a
crayon drawing, it's art. The poorest art ever produced by the hand of man
is still art.

On the other hand, a photograph of some beautiful subject may "move you" but
is not art because of that. If the subject existed in a form that we would
regard as beautiful before the photo was taken, merely recording that
subject is not by any stretch of the imagination a work of art.

To call the successful recording of something by pressing a button "art" is
both pretentious and foolish.

N.

Mick Brown

Yeah I seen his question under he picture "can you do this with digital" and
I immediately thought, god I hope not!!

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck8gf3$2u9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > DarkRoom ForEver wrote:
> > > I'm not the only one thinking this...
> > >
> > > http://henrystop.port5.com
> > >

> > Henry Stop better embrace change or he will go the way of the dinosaur.
> > It may already be too late.
> > Apparently, he has not even advanced to Color Photography.

> From the image on that page, it appears he hasn't even made it to black

and
> white yet.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

bob

"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TzR9d.8062$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> It requires some kind of serious human effort. There doesn't have to
> be much if anything in the way of skill. When a kiddie in kindergarten
> makes a crayon drawing, it's art. The poorest art ever produced by the
> hand of man is still art.

Curiously, my dictionary says that art is "the conscious use of skill nad
creative imagination esp. in the production of aesthetic objects."

I think the kindergarten kid uses 100% of the skill he has in the
production of his art. And in a very conscious and typically creative way,
too.

It's interesting that the definition that relates to aesthetic objects in
fourth. The first three relate to acquired skills (The art of making
friends, etc.)

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Henry Stop better embrace change or he will go the way of the dinosaur.
>It may already be too late.
>Apparently, he has not even advanced to Color Photography.

Is this guy really serious? The photo that says, "can you do this with
digital" looks like crap, and nothing I can't do with digital. Even
though Bayer cameras don't record exact, perfect greyscale at every
pixel, an image shrunk that much is extremely accurate, as it contains
many pixels' witness.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Nostrobino

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns957D633DE9F80bobatcarolnet@207.69.189.191. ..
> "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:TzR9d.8062$(E-Mail Removed) m:
>
>> It requires some kind of serious human effort. There doesn't have to
>> be much if anything in the way of skill. When a kiddie in kindergarten
>> makes a crayon drawing, it's art. The poorest art ever produced by the
>> hand of man is still art.
>>

> Curiously, my dictionary says that art is "the conscious use of skill nad
> creative imagination esp. in the production of aesthetic objects."
>
> I think the kindergarten kid uses 100% of the skill he has in the
> production of his art. And in a very conscious and typically creative way,
> too.

Exactly. The skill involved may be great or small, but art presumes that
whatever skill and creativity exists, is used. The artist MAKES the thing,
he doesn't merely record it. That's the important part. It's pretentious to
say that one has created "art" simply by taking a pretty photo, but there
are photographers who for some reason like to believe they have done exactly
that.

N.

> It's interesting that the definition that relates to aesthetic objects in
> fourth. The first three relate to acquired skills (The art of making
> friends, etc.)
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Dave Martindale

"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> Curiously, my dictionary says that art is "the conscious use of skill nad
>> creative imagination esp. in the production of aesthetic objects."

>Exactly. The skill involved may be great or small, but art presumes that
>whatever skill and creativity exists, is used. The artist MAKES the thing,
>he doesn't merely record it. That's the important part. It's pretentious to
>say that one has created "art" simply by taking a pretty photo, but there
>are photographers who for some reason like to believe they have done exactly
>that.

That seems like a silly argument. The photographer *makes* the
photograph, even if the camera is recording something that already
exists. Landscape photographers don't "arrange" their subject, but the
process of recording and then printing it involves many decisions about
camera placement, lens focal length, cropping, exposure, tone and colour
adjustments, and so on.

Even if the photographer shoots on Auto and gets their prints from the
local drugstore with no input into the processing, they are still
deciding what subject to shoot, and under what lighting conditions.
This can still involve skill and creativity, and it can still be art.

Dave

Tony

DarkRoomForEver is not SMART.
I think more people will agree with me than with you.
If you rely on numbers to determine truth, you are in for a very sad life,
Ace. Take a course in logic. I'm sure you can find one aimed at your nine
year old mentality.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"DarkRoom ForEver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kfN9d.23903$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not the only one thinking this...
>
> http://henrystop.port5.com
>
> DarkRoom ForEver.

Tony

Then a MACK truck is art by your definition. Art is art - no matter
whether you exist or not. I take the commercial view - anything purchased as
art is art. This is nicely self serving as it makes me (de facto) an artist,
since I've sold stuff as art. I'm sure that we can all come up with many
many self serving definitions of art - but most of us would know they are
self serving. Perhaps you should look into your definition further, Ace.