Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 8700: A Deal at $450 ?

Nikon 8700: A Deal at $450 ?

Magnusfarce

The Nikon Coolpix 8800's predecessor, the 8700, can be had for about $450
thanks to a rebate, which puts it at about half of the price of the new 8800
and it's closest rivals. Seems like a lot of camera for the money. Any
thoughts?

- Magnusfarce

David J Taylor

Magnusfarce wrote:
> The Nikon Coolpix 8800's predecessor, the 8700, can be had for about
> $450 thanks to a rebate, which puts it at about half of the price of
> the new 8800 and it's closest rivals. Seems like a lot of camera for
> the money. Any thoughts?

Go for it, if it handles as you wish and does what you want!

Assuming you don't want the image stabilisation of the 8800, of course.

David

Martin Francis

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:sWe9d.4447$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Magnusfarce wrote:
> > The Nikon Coolpix 8800's predecessor, the 8700, can be had for about
> > $450 thanks to a rebate, which puts it at about half of the price of
> > the new 8800 and it's closest rivals. Seems like a lot of camera for
> > the money. Any thoughts?

> Go for it, if it handles as you wish and does what you want!

(and if the dealer is reputable)

> Assuming you don't want the image stabilisation of the 8800, of course.

(and absolutely colossal frame in comparison to the 8700)

no, and yes...."

Linda_N

"Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck44dr$esk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> wrote in message news:sWe9d.4447$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Magnusfarce wrote:
>> > The Nikon Coolpix 8800's predecessor, the 8700, can be had for about
>> > $450 thanks to a rebate, which puts it at about half of the price of
>> > the new 8800 and it's closest rivals. Seems like a lot of camera for
>> > the money. Any thoughts?

>> Go for it, if it handles as you wish and does what you want!

> (and if the dealer is reputable)
>
>> Assuming you don't want the image stabilisation of the 8800, of course.

> (and absolutely colossal frame in comparison to the 8700)

To add to what's been said I'd suggest reading up on the 8700 at
http://www.dpreview.com because if memory serves it come in rather low along
with the other 8 megapixels released around the same time. I've read several
folks saying they were going to skip the whole 8 meg sensor phase the
industry is going through. Whatever the case you would be wise to invest a
little time reading reviews because $450 is still a lot of money if you end
up unhappy.

Linda

Magnusfarce

I appreciate the suggestions. I agree that it is not going to be as good a
camera as its replacement, the 8800, but for less than half the price I
wouldn't expect it to be. And if it is not quite as good as the others in
its class, I still fall back on the idea that for the money, it's a lot of
camera. Given my alternative is the Canon A95 for only $70 less, I'm
thinking that the 8700 is a big jump in quality for a small increase in
price. Am I safe in assuming that the 8700 will outperform the A95 in most
or all areas?

- Magnusfarce

Mark Johnson

"Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I appreciate the suggestions. I agree that it is not going to be as good a
>camera as its replacement, the 8800, but for less than half the price I
>wouldn't expect it to be. And if it is not quite as good as the others in
>its class, I still fall back on the idea that for the money, it's a lot of
>camera. Given my alternative is the Canon A95 for only $70 less, I'm
>thinking that the 8700 is a big jump in quality for a small increase in
>price. Am I safe in assuming that the 8700 will outperform the A95 in most
>or all areas?

I think people have complained of CCD noise in all four of that 2/3"
8MP sensor, even the Canon.

I understand the Oly C8080 came out best. But I've seen people
complain about ease of use.

I do think, in general, that a lot of people posting here would be far
better off with a little portable digicam rather than some bulky dSLR,
with all the disadvantages of price, exposure of the body, softness,
bulkiness, lack of LCD preview, expense, and even the price (did I
mention?). It's like using a mini-cannon at the target range.

Christopher Muto

i believe in the efficiency in the market, meaning that things are priced
where they are for a reason. in this case the 8mp sensor that is has,
though impressive, has it limitations. specifically it does not perform
well in low light. in fact, you will probably only want to use it at iso
50. the significance of this may not seem important at first, but it is.
if your intention is daylight photography then it does not present a
problem, but it does impact the versatility of the camera. add to this the
fact that is has an electronic viewfinder and the appeal of the camera to
many folks becomes limited. the drastic drop in price does make it
attractive, but it also signals to me that others will adjust their prices
accordingly, that is if they feel they have to...

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) rdnews.com...
> "Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I appreciate the suggestions. I agree that it is not going to be as good

> >camera as its replacement, the 8800, but for less than half the price I
> >wouldn't expect it to be. And if it is not quite as good as the others

in
> >its class, I still fall back on the idea that for the money, it's a lot

of
> >camera. Given my alternative is the Canon A95 for only $70 less, I'm
> >thinking that the 8700 is a big jump in quality for a small increase in
> >price. Am I safe in assuming that the 8700 will outperform the A95 in

most
> >or all areas?

> I think people have complained of CCD noise in all four of that 2/3"
> 8MP sensor, even the Canon.
>
> I understand the Oly C8080 came out best. But I've seen people
> complain about ease of use.
>
> I do think, in general, that a lot of people posting here would be far
> better off with a little portable digicam rather than some bulky dSLR,
> with all the disadvantages of price, exposure of the body, softness,
> bulkiness, lack of LCD preview, expense, and even the price (did I
> mention?). It's like using a mini-cannon at the target range.

Seriously, where can I get the BEST DEAL on Nikon lenses?? I'm poor cassia Digital Photography 15 04-03-2007 02:45 AM
AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal? Tad Confused Computer Information 7 04-13-2006 05:43 PM
deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
Nikon D70 - looking for a good deal with a starter lens Fred Finisterre Digital Photography 6 10-12-2004 10:08 PM

Advertisments