Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 20D Viewfinder and Spot Metering

Reply
Thread Tools

20D Viewfinder and Spot Metering

 
 
Jimmy Pop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
Hello,

I have only been into photography "seriously" for about 1.5 years. I
currently have a Minolta 7i but am thinking of upgrading to the new
Canon 20D. I have spent a lot of time reading all the 20D posts but I
have a couple more questions I couldn't find direct answers to:

1. It seems the viewfinder is stationary, meaning it can't be tilted
up 90 degrees (or any other direction). Am I missing something here?
This seems to be a pretty common feature on most cameras and one that
I use quite a bit.

2. Like I said, I am pretty new and just getting into metering and
such. I live in the Eastern Sierras and spend a lot of time taking
pictures of bright skies and darker foregrounds. How will not having
the spot metering affect the use of graduated neutral density filters?
Are there other techniques to use these filters as well?

3. Overall, how is the Canon 20D as a landscape camera?

Thank you very much for your help. I have learned a lot from this
newsgroup!

Jimmy Pop
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
The "viewfinder" does not tilt because it is not a viewfinder. The view is
through the lens - that's what a reflex is all about. the screen on the back
is for reviewing pictures already taken.
I've never used a spotmeter to use grad filters so I don't see why anyone
would need one. Since I've started doing my printing through photoshop, I've
not used a grad filter at all - why have a straight line running across a
print when you can filter for the exact horizon? Sometimes this involves
combining two pictures, but can usuallly be done with simple mask and curves
techniques.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html

"Jimmy Pop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I have only been into photography "seriously" for about 1.5 years. I
> currently have a Minolta 7i but am thinking of upgrading to the new
> Canon 20D. I have spent a lot of time reading all the 20D posts but I
> have a couple more questions I couldn't find direct answers to:
>
> 1. It seems the viewfinder is stationary, meaning it can't be tilted
> up 90 degrees (or any other direction). Am I missing something here?
> This seems to be a pretty common feature on most cameras and one that
> I use quite a bit.
>
> 2. Like I said, I am pretty new and just getting into metering and
> such. I live in the Eastern Sierras and spend a lot of time taking
> pictures of bright skies and darker foregrounds. How will not having
> the spot metering affect the use of graduated neutral density filters?
> Are there other techniques to use these filters as well?
>
> 3. Overall, how is the Canon 20D as a landscape camera?
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I have learned a lot from this
> newsgroup!
>
> Jimmy Pop



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Jimmy Pop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>1. It seems the viewfinder is stationary, meaning it can't be tilted
>up 90 degrees (or any other direction). Am I missing something here?


Well, tilting the actual viewfinder would be somewhat interesting
mechanically, since it relies on the reflex mirror and pentaprism delivering
light in the right direction. Canon sell a clip-on angle-finder, however, if
you really need the feature.

[snip question about ND-grads - I've never tried them]

>3. Overall, how is the Canon 20D as a landscape camera?


As good as you're going to get from digital without spending stupid money.
You'll get better results from wide-angle primes than zooms, if maximum
detail and sharpness is your goal. The Canon 15mm fisheye lens makes a nice
landscape lens. It's inexpensive, doesn't vignette, and can be used to
produce either fisheye projection images, or rectilinear projection images
via the use of "defishing" software, such as the facility included in
Panotools.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2004
"Jimmy Pop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I have only been into photography "seriously" for about 1.5 years. I
> currently have a Minolta 7i but am thinking of upgrading to the new
> Canon 20D. I have spent a lot of time reading all the 20D posts but I
> have a couple more questions I couldn't find direct answers to:
>
> 1. It seems the viewfinder is stationary, meaning it can't be tilted
> up 90 degrees (or any other direction). Am I missing something here?
> This seems to be a pretty common feature on most cameras and one that
> I use quite a bit.
>
> 2. Like I said, I am pretty new and just getting into metering and
> such. I live in the Eastern Sierras and spend a lot of time taking
> pictures of bright skies and darker foregrounds. How will not having
> the spot metering affect the use of graduated neutral density filters?
> Are there other techniques to use these filters as well?
>
> 3. Overall, how is the Canon 20D as a landscape camera?
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I have learned a lot from this
> newsgroup!
>
> Jimmy Pop


1) No DSLR has a tiltable viewfinder. There is an attachment that mounts on
the viewfinder that serves that function. In fact, I've never seen a
viewfinder that tilts on any camera. The back LCD, yes, but those don't
tilt on DSLRs either. It is not the best way to shoot, compos, check
exposure, or anything else.

2) The 20D does not have a spot meter, it has a "partial spot," or 9.5% of
the viewfinder image. Meter what you want exposed correctly, lock the
exposure and shoot. Or remove the filter, meter, and then shoot.

3) Until the 10-24 USM lens actually hits the market, any DSLR with a 1.6x
crop factor is pretty limited as to landscapes. A 17mm gives you the same
field of view as a 28mm, a 14mm the same as a 22.4mm, and these are the
widest currently available for the 20D.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bernhard Mayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-08-2004
"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<HCj9d.1305$hj.79@fed1read07>...
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...


> 1) No DSLR has a tiltable viewfinder. There is an attachment that mounts on
> the viewfinder that serves that function. In fact, I've never seen a
> viewfinder that tilts on any camera. The back LCD, yes, but those don't
> tilt on DSLRs either. It is not the best way to shoot, compos, check
> exposure, or anything else.


The Minolta 7i the original poster is refereing to (plus all relatives
of it) has a tiltable viewfinder - which is extremely useful and at
the minimum saves you the 150 USD investment, that e.g. Canon charges
for its additional viewfinder dongle.

We may argue about whether or not these super compacts are SLR... they
are certainly TTL but maybe not SLR(eflex) due to the lack of a
swinging mirror

There is even a true DSLR with live feed on the display - not very
useful, though, as it locks the mirror and only offers limited frame
rates - not quite suitable for framing...

> 3) Until the 10-24 USM lens actually hits the market, any DSLR with a 1.6x
> crop factor is pretty limited as to landscapes. A 17mm gives you the same
> field of view as a 28mm, a 14mm the same as a 22.4mm, and these are the
> widest currently available for the 20D.


well, there is a Sigma 12-24 HSM (USM) for Canon bodies that's been on
the market for quite some time
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-09-2004
"Bernhard Mayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<HCj9d.1305$hj.79@fed1read07>...
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

>
>> 1) No DSLR has a tiltable viewfinder. There is an attachment that mounts
>> on
>> the viewfinder that serves that function. In fact, I've never seen a
>> viewfinder that tilts on any camera. The back LCD, yes, but those don't
>> tilt on DSLRs either. It is not the best way to shoot, compos, check
>> exposure, or anything else.

>
> The Minolta 7i the original poster is refereing to (plus all relatives
> of it) has a tiltable viewfinder - which is extremely useful and at
> the minimum saves you the 150 USD investment, that e.g. Canon charges
> for its additional viewfinder dongle.
>
> We may argue about whether or not these super compacts are SLR... they
> are certainly TTL but maybe not SLR(eflex) due to the lack of a
> swinging mirror
>
> There is even a true DSLR with live feed on the display - not very
> useful, though, as it locks the mirror and only offers limited frame
> rates - not quite suitable for framing...
>
>> 3) Until the 10-24 USM lens actually hits the market, any DSLR with a
>> 1.6x
>> crop factor is pretty limited as to landscapes. A 17mm gives you the
>> same
>> field of view as a 28mm, a 14mm the same as a 22.4mm, and these are the
>> widest currently available for the 20D.

>
> well, there is a Sigma 12-24 HSM (USM) for Canon bodies that's been on
> the market for quite some time


I stand corrected, but I didn't say they didn't exist, just that I hadn't
seen them. That's my usual dodge, just in case someone has come up with
something when I wasn't looking! <G>
The DSLR that has live feeds, is it in production now? I've never heard of
that in anything out there now, but I vaguely remember some mention of one
that would be released in the near future.
I remembered that lens just as I hit "send!" Ooops. I was thinking just in
terms of Canon lenses, not aftermarket, and didn't go far enough afield.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spot metering sony cybershot provost9 Digital Photography 2 12-19-2005 04:50 PM
20D Spot Metering Charles Dickens Digital Photography 15 11-13-2004 10:02 PM
Disadvantge of using spot meter instead of default matrix metering zxcvar Digital Photography 10 05-21-2004 09:00 PM
zoom V's spot metering V's macro Beck Digital Photography 6 05-10-2004 11:06 AM
Last 10D question: How big a deal is no spot metering? Paul Digital Photography 16 09-26-2003 10:13 PM



Advertisments