Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Wireless Linksys G router

Re: Wireless Linksys G router

francis.gerard

"CRazykevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 questions
>
> 1. If I have a Linksys wireless G-router will it work with any brand of
> wireless G-band nics?

technically speaking, yes, all wireless devices with the 802.11g designation
are interoperable

> 2. How well would a WIreless B NIC work with the Wireless G router?

in my experience with a Linksys WRT54G Router, not good. i upgraded from
the Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) to the WRT54G (802.11g and 802.11b) with the
intention of using both standards on my network, but i quickly discovered
that 802.11b devices do not interoperate well with 802.11g devices and their
connections to the Wireless-G router were consistently dropped and/or the
speed and signal quality fluctuated considerably. i do not recommend the
WRT54G router, it is garbage compared to some of Linksys' other products.
having said that, Linksys has discontinued version 1 of the WRT54G router
and has replaced it with what looks to be a completely different unit and
called it Version 2, so who knows, maybe they've fixed the horrible mess
that was WRT54G v1.

--
francis