Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 detects vertical shots. How?

D70 detects vertical shots. How?

Mark M

"Peter Rongsted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Rudi Cheow) wrote:

> Or you could just read the manuall. And set the camera up to record the
> format and have i rotated when transfered to the pc, but turn the
> 'Rotate tall' off in the play menu. Then you would get the best of both
> worlds.
>
> Peter

Manual?
What is this word, "manual?"
I don't think I know this word...

Mark M

"Peter Rongsted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Ken Tough wrote:

fact like

> >> Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
> >> it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
> >> tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
> >> when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
> >> aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Tough

> >I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
> >child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
> >dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
> >sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
> >auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
> >knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
> >with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
> >useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
> >when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
> >the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
> >harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.

> He is just an idiot. On the D70 go into the playback menu and set
> 'Rotate Tall' to OFF. You can also go down to the setup menu and set
> 'Image rotation' to OFF, but then the camera will not record the format
> of the shot.
>
> Peter

I'm not sure who you're referring to...but I shoot with a 10D...not a D70

Peter Rongsted

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
>> >child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
>> >dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
>> >sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
>> >auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
>> >knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
>> >with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
>> >useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
>> >when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
>> >the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
>> >harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.

>> He is just an idiot. On the D70 go into the playback menu and set
>> 'Rotate Tall' to OFF. You can also go down to the setup menu and set
>> 'Image rotation' to OFF, but then the camera will not record the format
>> of the shot.
>>
>> Peter

>I'm not sure who you're referring to...but I shoot with a 10D...not a D70

I was refereing to the photog with a D70. It can do exactly what he says
it cannot.

Peter