Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 detects vertical shots. How?

D70 detects vertical shots. How?

Skip M

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "SBC News" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> You can turn auto rotate off. Its stupid anyway. Just rotate it on your
>> computer if you held the camera on its side.

> I find with my particular workflow, it is much faster if I have the
> pictures
> marked in the EXIF field for their rotation, so my download software can
> automatically rotate the pictures (and reset the EXIF field). One of my
> wished
> for features in my next camera is to have the camera do that automatically
> (right now, I do it as part of the review stage while the card is still in
> the
> camera).
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Unlike the other guys in this subthread, I like the autorotate, just for
that reason. It's on with my 20D, it was a small source of irritation with
my D30 that I had to go through and rotate the images one by one. Since I
shoot mostly portrait oriented images, that could be time consuming. When I
shot film, the contact sheets were pretty uniform, all the verticals lined
up neatly, with only the rare horizontal disturbing the sheet's wa...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

{STP}

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "SBC News" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > You can turn auto rotate off. Its stupid anyway. Just rotate it
> > on your computer if you held the camera on its side.

> I find with my particular workflow, it is much faster if I have the
> pictures marked in the EXIF field for their rotation, so my download
> software can automatically rotate the pictures (and reset the EXIF
> field).

I agree with this 100%.

{STP}

Rudi Cheow

> Personally, I think it's a pretty
> useless gimmick anyway...

I think it's by no means "useless" - in fact for me and shooting I do,
it's invaluable.

I almost always shoot handheld, so the tripod-head-skewing-syndrome is
not an issue for me, and a large proportion (about 40%-50%) of my
shots are portrait orientated. This means that when I view the preview
on screen (which I don't do much anyway - I carry an Archos AV400 with
me as storage and for viewing pictures), it is orientated correctly.
Yes, the actual preview size is smaller because it takes up less space
on screen, but as I said, I don't use this much anyway (and where's
the harm in zooming?).

But the most useful thing about the feature for me is the fact that I
don't have to rotate the vertical ones once they're on my PC - when
you go away on a trip and take thousands of shots, the last thing you
want to do is go through them and rotate the ones that you shot
vertically, especially when there's loads of them.

So I for one completely welcome this feature - and by no means would I
say it's useless or is a gimmick.

And heck, if folks don't like it, they can turn it off!

Rudi

Ken Tough

Peter Rongsted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes you can switch the rotation of the display off for playback. The
>image will still be rotated when you transfer it to the pc (unless it
>has been turned off on the pc). The detection can also be switch off.
>But then of couse the picture cannot be rotated automatically.

Now that sounds ideal. I hope the Nikon View software does that,
rotating the image when downloaded even if the cam doesn't
display it rotated.

--
Ken Tough

Mark M

"Rudi Cheow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > Personally, I think it's a pretty
> > useless gimmick anyway...
> >

> I think it's by no means "useless" - in fact for me and shooting I do,
> it's invaluable.
>
> I almost always shoot handheld, so the tripod-head-skewing-syndrome is
> not an issue for me, and a large proportion (about 40%-50%) of my
> shots are portrait orientated. This means that when I view the preview
> on screen (which I don't do much anyway - I carry an Archos AV400 with
> me as storage and for viewing pictures), it is orientated correctly.
> Yes, the actual preview size is smaller because it takes up less space
> on screen, but as I said, I don't use this much anyway (and where's
> the harm in zooming?).
>
> But the most useful thing about the feature for me is the fact that I
> don't have to rotate the vertical ones once they're on my PC - when
> you go away on a trip and take thousands of shots, the last thing you
> want to do is go through them and rotate the ones that you shot
> vertically, especially when there's loads of them.
>
> So I for one completely welcome this feature - and by no means would I
> say it's useless or is a gimmick.
>
> And heck, if folks don't like it, they can turn it off!

What I wish is that it would rotate automatically when transferred, but that
it would NOT rotate on the camera screen. The rotation on the camera screen
means that I end up reviewing a tiny version of the image instead of the
full size review of the landscape shots...

David Dyer-Bennet

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> What I wish is that it would rotate automatically when transferred, but that
> it would NOT rotate on the camera screen. The rotation on the camera screen
> means that I end up reviewing a tiny version of the image instead of the
> full size review of the landscape shots...

Furthermore, if you're holding the camera in the position you took the
photo in, and the image is rotated on the screen -- it's wrong for how
you're viewing it!

sid derra

"{STP}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
> Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "SBC News" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > > You can turn auto rotate off. Its stupid anyway. Just rotate it
> > > on your computer if you held the camera on its side.

> > I find with my particular workflow, it is much faster if I have the
> > pictures marked in the EXIF field for their rotation, so my download
> > software can automatically rotate the pictures (and reset the EXIF
> > field).

> I agree with this 100%.

same here...

Michael Meissner

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > What I wish is that it would rotate automatically when transferred, but
> > that it would NOT rotate on the camera screen. The rotation on the camera
> > screen means that I end up reviewing a tiny version of the image instead of
> > the full size review of the landscape shots...

> Furthermore, if you're holding the camera in the position you took the photo
> in, and the image is rotated on the screen -- it's wrong for how you're
> viewing it!

One of the features that Minolta quotes for the new D7D is that their rotation
sensor will sense this and rotate the image so if you are holding the camera
side ways it will still have the picture oriented correctly. Hopefully it also
means that the rotation sensor will set the EXIF field.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Peter Rongsted

Colin D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ken Tough wrote:
>>
>> Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> >Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
>> >we've been doing for years.

>> Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
>> it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
>> tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
>> when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
>> aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?
>>
>> --
>> Ken Tough

>I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
>child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
>dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
>sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
>auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
>knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
>with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
>useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
>when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
>the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
>harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.

He is just an idiot. On the D70 go into the playback menu and set
'Rotate Tall' to OFF. You can also go down to the setup menu and set
'Image rotation' to OFF, but then the camera will not record the format
of the shot.

Peter

Peter

Peter Rongsted

(E-Mail Removed) (Rudi Cheow) wrote:

>> Personally, I think it's a pretty
>> useless gimmick anyway...
>>

>I think it's by no means "useless" - in fact for me and shooting I do,
>it's invaluable.
>
>I almost always shoot handheld, so the tripod-head-skewing-syndrome is
>not an issue for me, and a large proportion (about 40%-50%) of my
>shots are portrait orientated. This means that when I view the preview
>on screen (which I don't do much anyway - I carry an Archos AV400 with
>me as storage and for viewing pictures), it is orientated correctly.
>Yes, the actual preview size is smaller because it takes up less space
>on screen, but as I said, I don't use this much anyway (and where's
>the harm in zooming?).
>
>But the most useful thing about the feature for me is the fact that I
>don't have to rotate the vertical ones once they're on my PC - when
>you go away on a trip and take thousands of shots, the last thing you
>want to do is go through them and rotate the ones that you shot
>vertically, especially when there's loads of them.

Or you could just read the manuall. And set the camera up to record the
format and have i rotated when transfered to the pc, but turn the
'Rotate tall' off in the play menu. Then you would get the best of both
worlds.

Peter