Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 detects vertical shots. How?

D70 detects vertical shots. How?

Ken Tough

Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

--
Ken Tough

chidalgo

Ken Tough escribio:

> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

Usually is some kind of switch with a drop of mercury (liquid metal)
inside, so when you rotate the camera, the switch knows in which
position the camera is

--
chidalgo

Mark M

"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
we've been doing for years.

Ken Tough

Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
>> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
>> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

>Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
>we've been doing for years.

Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?

--
Ken Tough

Peter Rongsted

Ken Tough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
>>> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
>>> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

>>Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
>>we've been doing for years.

>Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
>it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
>tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
>when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
>aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?

Yes you can switch the rotation of the display off for playback. The
image will still be rotated when you transfer it to the pc (unless it
has been turned off on the pc). The detection can also be switch off.
But then of couse the picture cannot be rotated automatically.

Peter

Michael Meissner

Ken Tough <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> >> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
> >> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
> >> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

> >Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
> >we've been doing for years.

> Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
> it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
> tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
> when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
> aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?

I believe all of the cameras that note the orientation in the EXIF have an
option to turn off the rotation of the display in the LCD.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Colin D

Ken Tough wrote:

> Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> >> Stupid question, but how does it know when to rotate the shot for
> >> display on the back LCD? Gravity? Clever image processing? What
> >> if you shoot straight down? [or skydiving?]

> >Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact like
> >we've been doing for years.

> Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
> it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
> tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
> when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
> aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?
>
> --
> Ken Tough

I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.

Colin.

Mark M

"Colin D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken Tough wrote:
> >
> > Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> > >Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact

like
> > >we've been doing for years.

> > Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
> > it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
> > tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
> > when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
> > aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?
> >
> > --
> > Ken Tough

> I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
> child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
> dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
> sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
> auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
> knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
> with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
> useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
> when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
> the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
> harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.

For those who play their shots back on a television directly from the
camera, this feature comes in very handy. Otherwise...it's a waste of
screen space on the camera...

SBC News

You can turn auto rotate off. Its stupid anyway. Just rotate it on your
computer if you held the camera on its side.

"Colin D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken Tough wrote:
>>
>> Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> >Then...heaven forbid...you might have to rotate the shot after the fact
>> >like
>> >we've been doing for years.

>> Sorry, I neglected to put the smiley. I can just imagine that
>> it would be annoying if it was random when shooting down from a
>> tripod to flat material on a table. The other annoying thing is that
>> when rotated, the image has to be reduced in size because of the
>> aspect ratio of the display. Can it be switched off as an option?
>>
>> --
>> Ken Tough

> I watched a photog with a D70 on a tripod shooting a portrait shot of a
> child recently. He had the auto-rotate turned on, and the camera LCD
> dutifully showed the image rotated sideways, so he was screwing his head
> sideways to look at the image. I asked him why he didn't turn
> auto-rotate off, and he claimed that the camera couldn't do that. Not
> knowing much about D70s I didn't argue, I just said that I could do that
> with my 300D, and left it at that. Personally, I think it's a pretty
> useless gimmick anyway, and it's only there to avoid rotating the camera
> when playing back shots with the camera in hand. And since it reduces
> the size of the image to fit the long dimension across the LCD, it's
> harder to evaluate the shot. Mine is off, and it will stay off.
>
> Colin.

Michael Meissner

"SBC News" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You can turn auto rotate off. Its stupid anyway. Just rotate it on your
> computer if you held the camera on its side.

I find with my particular workflow, it is much faster if I have the pictures
marked in the EXIF field for their rotation, so my download software can
automatically rotate the pictures (and reset the EXIF field). One of my wished
for features in my next camera is to have the camera do that automatically
(right now, I do it as part of the review stage while the card is still in the
camera).

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)