Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dark 20D picture

Dark 20D picture

Robert

Is it normal for the Flash pictures to come out too dark using the flash.
If so this is a problem as my older A1 film camera with it 20 year old
technology never gave a bad exposure using the 533G BIG flash, and it was
always on the automode.It would work from 3' to 12' away and all was right
on. Now I am hearing that the 20D has to be set to a higher level to make it
work right. I would think by now most cameras today could be at least as
good.
Paying $1500.00 for a camera today with all the new technology there is no
reason for any one to have a bad picture on auto.Most P a S do a better job
than this.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Robert" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> Is it normal for the Flash pictures to come out too dark using the flash.
>
>Now I am hearing that the 20D has to be set to a higher level to make it
>work right.

On several of the Canon dSLR's there's a Custom Function that defaults to
having the flash work primarily as a fill-flash, which means the exposures are
a bit dark if you wanted flash for the main light. Changing this CF should fix
your problem if the 20D has this CF.

Bill

Joseph Meehan

Robert wrote:
> Is it normal for the Flash pictures to come out too dark using the flash.
> If so this is a problem as my older A1 film camera with it 20 year old
> technology never gave a bad exposure using the 533G BIG flash, and it was
> always on the automode.It would work from 3' to 12' away and all was right
> on. Now I am hearing that the 20D has to be set to a higher level to make
> it
> work right. I would think by now most cameras today could be at least as
> good.
> Paying $1500.00 for a camera today with all the new technology there is
> no
> reason for any one to have a bad picture on auto.Most P a S do a better
> job
> than this.

Problems with underexposed flash photos have been reported by a number
of people. There seems to be three issues.

1. A weak built in flash with people expecting too much from it.
Reports of problems with other flashes have been few or none.

2. incorrect settings used. I believe Bill commented on this.

3. A software problem. There has been a software upgrade issued. I
would hold off a couple of weeks to see how that goes. I don't know if the
upgrade address this issue. As I understand it the software issue results
in a very small amount of underexposure, like or stop error.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math