Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anti-counterfeiting measures

anti-counterfeiting measures

Jer

mcgyverjones wrote:

> I remember a post from about a year ago debating the existance of
> anticounterfeiting measures being built into printers and copiers.
> I've been reading today that the new US currency, starting with the $50, is
> being designed in conjunction with a number of manufacturers of scanners,
> printers and software to make it impossible to copy the bill.
> Details are sketchy, and what happens when the system detects a bill seems
> to be unknown (does it delete the file, log you on a DB...
>
> A site has been set up at www. moneyfactory.com to allow low-res images of
> bills to be made available for use by artists etc.
> Anyone know anything more about this, and it there is any possibility of
> problems for legit users?
>
> MJ

I wonder what would happen if someone takes a really good macro image of
one and prints it?

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

kashe@sonic.net

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:30:59 -0700, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HOk8d.12539$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I remember a post from about a year ago debating the existance of
>> anticounterfeiting measures being built into printers and copiers.
>> I've been reading today that the new US currency, starting with the $50, is
>> being designed in conjunction with a number of manufacturers of scanners,
>> printers and software to make it impossible to copy the bill.
>> Details are sketchy, and what happens when the system detects a bill seems
>> to be unknown (does it delete the file, log you on a DB...
>>
>> A site has been set up at www. moneyfactory.com to allow low-res images of
>> bills to be made available for use by artists etc.
>> Anyone know anything more about this, and it there is any possibility of
>> problems for legit users?

>Yes, this technology is already in both Photoshop CS and the
>most recent version of PSP. If you try to scan in one of the new
>$20 bills it won't allow you, and you'll get a nasty message about
>being a bad person.
>
>The check was voluntarily implemented by Adobe and others at
>the request of a conglomeration of U.S. and international banking
>interests, not governments. On those grounds alone I have major
>problems with it. I mean what's next, checking to see if we're
>scanning corporate logos? Developers have opened a Pandora's
>Box of potential intrusions by agreeing to include this technology
>in their products.
>
>The currency check is causing problems for quite a few people,
>e.g. those who actually do need to scan money for business
>purposes (e.g. currency traders, etc). And apparently some
>people (e.g. government officials) can get a special version of
>PS that doesn't include this check. There's also a patch available
>for PS that will bypasss the check. Don't know if the same is
>available for PSP. Ask in one of the binary Usenet groups.

My son, who works for a graphics outfit, told me a couple of
years ago (as he heard from the actual artists whose work was
affected) that an early version of copiers simply evaluated an image
for an average shade of green that closely matched the average green
of the currency then in use. If the match was too close, it messed up
the overall color of the copy. Images could be altered to avoid the
averaging problem, but it was no longer the intended original.

kashe@sonic.net

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:52:25 +1000, call me any name
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>mcgyverjones wrote:
>
>> I remember a post from about a year ago debating the existance of
>> anticounterfeiting measures being built into printers and copiers.
>> I've been reading today that the new US currency, starting with the $50, is
>> being designed in conjunction with a number of manufacturers of scanners,
>> printers and software to make it impossible to copy the bill.
>> Details are sketchy, and what happens when the system detects a bill seems
>> to be unknown (does it delete the file, log you on a DB...
>>
>> A site has been set up at www. moneyfactory.com to allow low-res images of
>> bills to be made available for use by artists etc.
>> Anyone know anything more about this, and it there is any possibility of
>> problems for legit users?
>>
>> MJ
>>

>The so called "anti-counterfeiting measures" are a constalation image
>which triggers the refusal to scan at 1 to1 ratio.

I suspect that it's got to be more than the 1:1 bit. Otherwise
you could copy at 1:2, then reduce that copy 2:1.

> It is not on all
>bills although Europe has signaled their acceptance of the technology.
>
>It is possible to scan at different resolutions with different software
>but basically it is intended to avoid oportunist forgeries. It sertainly
>won't stop a skilled person.
>
>COE

John Bean

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:24:52 -0500, Jer wrote:
> I wonder what would happen if someone takes a really good macro image of
> one and prints it?

When I was calibrating a Minolta A2 (raw) image I used a picture that
included a Macbeth checker and some (Eoro) currency. None of the banknotes
showed a complete face. All was well until I got the colour right in ACR, at
which point CS complained of forgery and refused to import the image.

--
John Bean

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading (Henny Youngman)

Hunt

In article <HOk8d.12539$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>I remember a post from about a year ago debating the existance of
>anticounterfeiting measures being built into printers and copiers.
>I've been reading today that the new US currency, starting with the $50, is
>being designed in conjunction with a number of manufacturers of scanners,
>printers and software to make it impossible to copy the bill.
>Details are sketchy, and what happens when the system detects a bill seems
>to be unknown (does it delete the file, log you on a DB...
>
>A site has been set up at www. moneyfactory.com to allow low-res images of
>bills to be made available for use by artists etc.
>Anyone know anything more about this, and it there is any possibility of
>problems for legit users?
>
>MJ

You might want to go to www.groups.google.com and do a search on the Photoshop
NG's. This general thread has been hashed to pieces there over the last year,
or so.

Hunt

mcgyverjones

Olin K. McDaniel

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:53:15 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

(snipped)

>Australia and New Zealand print on sheets of clear mylar plastic instead of paper.
>They leave a small area uninked that you can see through.

It always bothers me to see how trademarks get violated, and after the
trademarked name is used generically long and frequently enough, it
can no longer be protected in the courts. "Mylar" TM is a registered
trademark of DuPont. To go back 3/4 of a century, so was cellophane,
to name one of many so violated and ultimately lost to the company
that originally owned it. But then I'm biased, I used to be with
DuPont in the manufacture of "Mylar" TM.

Olin McDaniel

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>Australia and New Zealand print on sheets of clear mylar plastic instead of paper.
>They leave a small area uninked that you can see through.

Yep, plus holograms.

dj_nme

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Kibo informs me that Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:
>

>>Australia and New Zealand print on sheets of clear mylar plastic instead of paper.
>>They leave a small area uninked that you can see through.

> Yep, plus holograms.

Holograms were only on the early plastic $5 notes and they were not very
durable.
It seems that none of the current polymer note designs use a hologram.
Mainly relying on the un-availability of the plastic sheet used and the
printing methods that give the notes a very obvious surface texture.

Jim Townsend

Olin K. McDaniel wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:53:15 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> (snipped)
>>
>>Australia and New Zealand print on sheets of clear mylar plastic instead of paper.
>>They leave a small area uninked that you can see through.
>>

> It always bothers me to see how trademarks get violated, and after the
> trademarked name is used generically long and frequently enough, it
> can no longer be protected in the courts. "Mylar" TM is a registered
> trademark of DuPont. To go back 3/4 of a century, so was cellophane,
> to name one of many so violated and ultimately lost to the company
> that originally owned it. But then I'm biased, I used to be with
> DuPont in the manufacture of "Mylar" TM.

LOL..

OK OK.. Aus and NZ bills are made with a plastic polymer instead of paper

Counter measures to eliminate spammers. neo C Programming 7 09-07-2007 11:56 AM
Anti-spam measures, grey listing very very impressed.... thingy NZ Computing 3 04-15-2006 07:49 AM
Objective measures - consulting for fixing a "broken" VoIP deployment papi VOIP 8 03-01-2005 09:57 PM
anti-spam measures Roedy Green Java 45 07-26-2004 03:01 AM
aspnet_wp.exe CPU 100% General Measures? =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXI=?= ASP .Net 0 01-26-2004 08:06 PM

Advertisments