Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Funny Focus Problem in Nikon D70.....

Reply
Thread Tools

Funny Focus Problem in Nikon D70.....

 
 
mert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2004
Started noticing lately my D70's images seemed just slightly out of
focus, sort of an uninvited "soft focus."

Was pulling my hair out, trying to find a reason for this....was there
an autofocus problem? Was my new D70 defective somehow??

Panic, Panic, etc, lol.


Then it dawned on me, it is my computer's flat-panel monitor which is
out-of-focus, not the camera, thank God!!

Anyone else here experience the same thing??

Thanks,

Mert
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harry Krause
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2004
mert wrote:
> Started noticing lately my D70's images seemed just slightly out of
> focus, sort of an uninvited "soft focus."
>
> Was pulling my hair out, trying to find a reason for this....was there
> an autofocus problem? Was my new D70 defective somehow??
>
> Panic, Panic, etc, lol.
>
>
> Then it dawned on me, it is my computer's flat-panel monitor which is
> out-of-focus, not the camera, thank God!!
>
> Anyone else here experience the same thing??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mert



No, but it could happen on any monitor.
For best results with digital photography, good glass-tube monitors
still are the best.


--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of
them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

What, me worry?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Tough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2004
Harry Krause <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>mert wrote:
>> Then it dawned on me, it is my computer's flat-panel monitor which is
>> out-of-focus, not the camera, thank God!!
>> Anyone else here experience the same thing??


>No, but it could happen on any monitor.
>For best results with digital photography, good glass-tube monitors
>still are the best.


Though an LCD is more likely to have user-accessible focus adjustment
than basic CRTs, isn't it?

--
Ken Tough
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-03-2004
Harry Krause wrote:
[]
> No, but it could happen on any monitor.
> For best results with digital photography, good glass-tube monitors
> still are the best.


.... but more likely to drift out of focus!

Cheers,
David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
On 3 Oct 2004 10:12:00 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mert) wrote:

>Started noticing lately my D70's images seemed just slightly out of
>focus, sort of an uninvited "soft focus."
>
>Was pulling my hair out, trying to find a reason for this....was there
>an autofocus problem? Was my new D70 defective somehow??
>
>Panic, Panic, etc, lol.
>
>
>Then it dawned on me, it is my computer's flat-panel monitor which is
>out-of-focus, not the camera, thank God!!
>
>Anyone else here experience the same thing??


Do you mean LCD monitor? You have to run them at maximum size or they blur.



>Thanks,
>
>Mert


 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
Ken Tough wrote:
[]
> Though an LCD is more likely to have user-accessible focus adjustment
> than basic CRTs, isn't it?


I've never seen and LCD/TFT monitor with a focus adjustment - you are
looking at the pixels directly! If the monitor is part of an EVF system,
it may have a diopter adjustment, of course.

If you drive an LCD monitor at anything other than its natural screen
resolution, it will need to interpolate the pixels, and this may cause
unsharpness, but this is /not/ lack of focus.

Cheers,
David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Tough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
David J Taylor wrote:
>Ken Tough wrote:
>> Though an LCD is more likely to have user-accessible focus adjustment
>> than basic CRTs, isn't it?


>I've never seen and LCD/TFT monitor with a focus adjustment - you are
>looking at the pixels directly! If the monitor is part of an EVF system,
>it may have a diopter adjustment, of course.
>
>If you drive an LCD monitor at anything other than its natural screen
>resolution, it will need to interpolate the pixels, and this may cause
>unsharpness, but this is /not/ lack of focus.


My NEC MultiSync 1525V has a menu option for horizontal 'fine adjust'
which appears to affect the sharpness, though I'm driving it at its
natural screen resolution. Seems it might have something to do with
clock phase? That's the one I was referring to; obviously it's not
the same sort of 'focus' as a CRT...

--
Ken Tough
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
Ken Tough wrote:

> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>>Ken Tough wrote:
>>
>>>Though an LCD is more likely to have user-accessible focus adjustment
>>>than basic CRTs, isn't it?

>
>
>>I've never seen and LCD/TFT monitor with a focus adjustment - you are
>>looking at the pixels directly! If the monitor is part of an EVF system,
>>it may have a diopter adjustment, of course.
>>
>>If you drive an LCD monitor at anything other than its natural screen
>>resolution, it will need to interpolate the pixels, and this may cause
>>unsharpness, but this is /not/ lack of focus.

>
>
> My NEC MultiSync 1525V has a menu option for horizontal 'fine adjust'
> which appears to affect the sharpness, though I'm driving it at its
> natural screen resolution. Seems it might have something to do with
> clock phase? That's the one I was referring to; obviously it's not
> the same sort of 'focus' as a CRT...
>



I've never seen a CRT without a focus adjustment, albeit most are under
the hood. This Sony Multiscan 21sf has been focus tweaked more than
once over the years.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
David J Taylor wrote:

> Ken Tough wrote:
> []
>
>>Though an LCD is more likely to have user-accessible focus adjustment
>>than basic CRTs, isn't it?

>
>
> I've never seen and LCD/TFT monitor with a focus adjustment - you are
> looking at the pixels directly! If the monitor is part of an EVF system,
> it may have a diopter adjustment, of course.
>
> If you drive an LCD monitor at anything other than its natural screen
> resolution, it will need to interpolate the pixels, and this may cause
> unsharpness, but this is /not/ lack of focus.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
>



Another question has come to mind... The diopter adj on the EVF
viewer... I presume this is an optical variance to view the EVF image
through? or is it an actual image adjustment of some sort?

I'm sorry, I'm still learning...

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-04-2004
Jer wrote:
[]
> Another question has come to mind... The diopter adj on the EVF
> viewer... I presume this is an optical variance to view the EVF image
> through? or is it an actual image adjustment of some sort?
>
> I'm sorry, I'm still learning...


Yes, it allows for eyes where the natural resting focus isn't infinity,
just like the dipoter adjustment on other pieces of equipment like
microscopes.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D40 cannot focus to infinity with manual focus prime lens zc94123@yahoo.com Digital Photography 8 08-17-2007 02:19 PM
this.window.focus() vs. window.focus() vs. this.focus() Roger Javascript 3 03-08-2007 08:53 PM
Funny Pictures ! Funny Jokes ! Drink Recipes, Reviews & More ! joevan Computer Support 0 06-29-2006 06:00 PM
Nikon 8800 vs Nikon 990 vs Canon 8MP Rebel vs Nikon D70 fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com Digital Photography 10 06-07-2005 06:53 PM
OT: The Interview - Real, Funny...Real Funny The Rev [MCT] MCSE 42 05-31-2005 10:42 PM



Advertisments