Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Overlay pictures on one another to crop ??

Overlay pictures on one another to crop ??

Hunt

In article <cjnfm0$hf8$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>Cheers Gene, good info there. I am starting to think this might be a bit
>complicated !!.
>
>Thanks
>Andy

Andy, don't be discouraged, as it's not that big a deal. Plan your shooting
well, and pick a stable location, that you can use as a base. Do some Googling
to find out what different programs will do. I've given you some basic
operations, though based on expensive programs. Just find the free ones that
offer you the same capability - you may just need to look around a bit and
perhaps get three or four programs to do the various things that I'd use PS or
Flash to do, that's all.

Good luck,
Hunt

Hunt

>> P.S. I have PSP8, but i'm pretty sure i cannot do it in there, or it's
>> too difficult. Is there such software out there which will do what i need
>> (preferably freeware) ?

>You already have the best photo imaging program in the world, and you expect
>some piece of freeware to be better? You spent hundreds of dollars on that
>software and you aren't willing to learn just a bit to use it? I don't know
>how to take that. In any event, if you do want to succeed in this endeavor,
>best study up. The location remedies posted so far don't make it.

Hi jjs,

For my personal edification, can PSP do Layers? I've never even seen the
program (oh, in stores, but never on a computer). I only use PS for this sort
of stuff, so I seldom look too far from Adobe myself. However, I have
recommended PSP to folk just starting in digital image manipulation, based on
the great things I've heard about it, and my feeling that these folk will not
need to spend US$600 to start into image manipulation. I probably ought to get
a copy of PSP and play with it, but I just have not taken the time.

Thanks for your info,
Hunt

David J Taylor

Hunt wrote:
[]
> For my personal edification, can PSP do Layers? I've never even seen
> the program (oh, in stores, but never on a computer).

Yes, it has layers, macros, chromatic aberration removal, digital camera
noise reduction etc. etc. You can get a free trial download of the
recently released PSP 9 from their Web site:

http://www.jasc.com/en/products/pain...sptrialreg.asp

Another thing I like about the program is how helpful the people in the
JASC forums are.

Cheers,
David

Jer

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

[....]

> It sound's very reminicent of the original "time machine" film during
> the time travel sequences.

Yeah it does. I remember reading about this somewhere, but they left
the cameras in place while rebuilding the scene for every frame.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jonathan Wilson

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:22:03 -0500, Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>
>[....]
>

>> It sound's very reminicent of the original "time machine" film during
>> the time travel sequences.
>>

>Yeah it does. I remember reading about this somewhere, but they left
>the cameras in place while rebuilding the scene for every frame.

Yeah, talk about painstaking... and considering the constraints they
had to work with, an amazing film for its time. Stop action
photography is an art and science in its own rights.

I've not seen the new re-make, but I believe the CGI and effects work
are stunning as the small amounts I saw on "the greatest special
effects" have piqued my interest.

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Andy100

Cheers everyone for the vast info here. I will take much of that into
account. I'll not be beaten on this !!!..

Cheers
Andy

"Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <cjn9k4$9u8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> >I am interested in making a sort of 'time lapse' series of pictures. I

was
> >planning on taking a photo of our garden at roughly the same time every

day,
> >then put them together to flick through to see how it changes over the
> >autumn. Well, a bit ambitious, i know !, but the problem i have is the

fact
> >that i won't know the exact line up of the last shot, so i cannot be sure

of
> >taking the photos in EXACTLY the same frame. So i am going to need

software
> >to view these pictures in an 'overlay' type of view (pictures one on top

of
> >the other), so that i can line them all up perfectly then crop to a

common
> >area in all pictures.
> >
> >Yep, a bit hard to explain in words what i mean. Hopefully, someone out
> >there will know a way.
> >
> >P.S. I have PSP8, but i'm pretty sure i cannot do it in there, or it's

too
> >difficult. Is there such software out there which will do what i need
> >(preferably freeware) ?
> >
> >Cheers
> >Andy

> Andy,
>
> I do not know the freeware image manipulation software market, so I can't
> address that, and I do not use PSP either, but:
>
> A program that allows you to place each image on a Layer, in which you

have
> control of the Opacity is all you need. Just pick a starting image, place

on
> Layer, select next image in sequence and place on separate Layer. Adjust

the
> Opacity of that Layer, so you can clearly see through it (onionskinning in
> image processing lingo), move this Layer, until it matches (sizing, if
> possible and necessary), then re-set Opacity to 100% and move on to the

next.

> As I use Photoshop (4 - 6 - 7 & CS), it does it, but I'll bet PSP has a
> similar operation, though I do not know this to be true. Look for a Layer,

and
> Layer Opacity feature (scaling of Layers is also a plus), when you search
> Google for the software.
>
> A tip, mount a fixed head to a secure spot in your garden and mount the

camera
> to it every time - do not remove the fixed head. You might cover it, when

not
> in use, so the weather doesn't muck it up, between shots, and so you can

re-
> use it later, when your project is done. The fewer adjustments it has, the
> better, however a quick-release connection would be nice for ease of use.

Just
> make sure you secure the q-r foot to your camera exactly the same each

time.

JPS@no.komm

In message <FnI7d.479$Cr6.23@trndny03>,
"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The effects can be magical and well worth doing. I think that if I wanted a
>perfect job I would want a camera that I could tether to a computer and that
>would take a photo every hour....or whatever. Say you want a 5 minute movie
>and you need 30 frames per second. That would be 9000 frames. You won't need
>hi-rez because of something called persistence of vision (Google it).

You can actually play back high-bandwidth images pretty fast if you have
a fast hard disk and use uncompressed 24-bit AVI.

When I had a RAID0 setup with two 45GB Deskstars a couple of years ago,
I was playing back uncompressed AVIs at 75 MB/s.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

bob

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
news:E2O7d.1547$(E-Mail Removed):

> I don't know of any auto-alignment software, but I've never needed to
> find any. Perhaps the software used in astronomy for "stacking"
> images can do this?

One can use panorama tools, with hugin and the automatic point finding
plugin. (http://hugin.sourceforge.net) The software can output multiple
alligned tif files, and maybe even a layered photoshop file. Having some
really solid control points would help a lot. The nice thing about using
panorama software is if some of the photos are slightly rotated, the
software will correct them.

I started a project like this when we added onto our house. I locked the
camera onto the triopd, and then I found two points in the yard that I
could remember for leg markers. So I put one leg at the corner of a
stepping stone, and rotated the other leg until it hit a tree root and
then I took the photo.

The house went up so quickly it wasn't a very interesting series, since I
could only shoot one per day.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply