Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best RAW converter to recover blown / overexposed highlights

best RAW converter to recover blown / overexposed highlights

digiboy

Thanks for the reply. I have (only) Canon S60, is there a way to find
out how much above 'average grey'? Maybe I need some kind of test
chart?

> How much headroom you have for the highlights would depend on the
> camera. I have the Canon 10D, and if the camera is set to shoot JPEGs,
> with daylight white balance, and normal contrast, you get clipping at
> 2.2 stops above what the camera meters as average grey, in all three
> color channels. If you shoot RAW, the RAW data has about 3.7 stops in
> the red channel, 3.2 stops in the green, and 3.1 stops in the blue
> channel.
>
> Generally speaking, with evaluative metering (averaged for entire frame
> with slight weighting for the center), there are very few circumstances
> in which the RAW data actually blows out. Exceptions are bright white
> objects in the sun against a mostly shady background, highly saturated
> flowers, and overcast skies that only compromise a minority fraction of
> the frame.

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (digiboy) wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. I have (only) Canon S60, is there a way to find
>out how much above 'average grey'? Maybe I need some kind of test
>chart?

You need to photograph a greyscale step wedge, like the Kodak one, and
over-expose it by two or three stops.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>