Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best RAW converter to recover blown / overexposed highlights

best RAW converter to recover blown / overexposed highlights

digiboy

Hi All

As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
overexposed highlights.

Cheers

Digi

macro

I've had good results from Breeze Browser, but nothing can save a totally
overexposed shot.

digiboy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
> overexposed highlights.
>
> Cheers
>
> Digi

Jeremy Nixon

digiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
> overexposed highlights.

I haven't compared them, so I can't say which is "best", but Photoshop
Camera Raw is pretty good at pulling *something* out of blown highlights,
as long as all three channels aren't clipped, of course (if they are, then
there is no hope).

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Mark M

"digiboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi All
>
> As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
> overexposed highlights.
>
> Cheers

C1 (Capture One) and Photoshop CS both do a great job at this.
It really is amazing what poorly metered shots you can rescue.

MB

The best RAW converter by a long way is Compact One by Phase One. It's not
freeware but it does a far better job than anything else currently
available.
Regards

"digiboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi All
>
> As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
> overexposed highlights.
>
> Cheers
>
> Digi

Mark M

"MB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The best RAW converter by a long way is Compact One by Phase One. It's not
> freeware but it does a far better job than anything else currently
> available.
> Regards

Don't you mean "Capture One"??

> "digiboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi All
> >
> > As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
> > overexposed highlights.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Digi

John McWilliams

Mark M wrote:
> "MB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>The best RAW converter by a long way is Compact One by Phase One. It's not
>>freeware but it does a far better job than anything else currently
>>available.

> Don't you mean "Capture One"??

Could you define "best" a bit? And by what measures does it do anything
"far better"?

--
John McWilliams

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (digiboy) wrote:

>Hi All
>
>As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
>overexposed highlights.

Capture One and Photoshop CS are the best, in my experience, although
the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW renders some grey highlight
levels with a greenish tint.

This probably has to do with a flaw in the way that it interprets
information from the remaining channel(s) in pixels where one or more
channels clip in the RAW data. Both programs treat these pixels as
greyscale, but ACR 2.2 makes certain levels greenish. There really
should be more user control to guide assumptions on clipped pixels.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>

JPS@no.komm

In message <h7M7d.12871$Hz.4901@fed1read04>,
"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"digiboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Hi All
>>
>> As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
>> overexposed highlights.
>>
>> Cheers

>C1 (Capture One) and Photoshop CS both do a great job at this.
>It really is amazing what poorly metered shots you can rescue.

It is also nice that if you know this headroom is there, you can use it
to your advantage. The noise in the 10D due to amplification and
readout is low up until ISO 400, so if you are in a situation where you
have a very low contrast subject, and were going to shoot at ISO 100,
you might shoot at ISO 400 instead and "overexpose" by two stops, to get
two extra bits of precision in the image, with almost no extra noise.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>

Michael Schnell

>As above really! What the best RAW converter to recover blown /
>overexposed highlights.

You can use a RAW converter to convert the file to a 3*16 Bit format (e.g.
as TIFF or JP2, e.g. Thumbs + 2000 can do this). This does not lose any
brightness resolution and you can use a 16 bit aware appropriate editor
program (e.g. within Thumbs+) to tweak the lightness.

-Michael