Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3

Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3

mfy

I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
differences...$249).

Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
functional and/or physical differences are substantial.

Thanks so much.

David J. Littleboy

"mfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
> optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
> Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
> differences...$249).
>
> Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
> help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
> functional and/or physical differences are substantial.

I'd recommend the FZ10 or FZ20 over the FZ1/2/3.

The larger cameras are a lot easier to use and when shot at f/5.6 at ISO 50,
the FZ10 at least can produce amazingly good images. (I've seen enough good
FZ10 images to be fairly confident in recommending it. But they were all
shot at f/5.6 at ISO 50<g>.)

Buy (and use!) a solid tripod.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

David J. Littleboy

"mfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
> optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
> Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
> differences...$249).
>
> Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
> help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
> functional and/or physical differences are substantial.

I'd recommend the FZ10 or FZ20 over the FZ1/2/3.

The larger cameras are a lot easier to use and when shot at f/5.6 at ISO 50,
the FZ10 at least can produce amazingly good images. (I've seen enough good
FZ10 images to be fairly confident in recommending it. But they were all
shot at f/5.6 at ISO 50<g>.)

Buy (and use!) a solid tripod.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

ArtKramr

>Subject: Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3
>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mfy)
>Date: 10/2/2004 1:23 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
>optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
>Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
>differences...$249).
>
>Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
>help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
>functional and/or physical differences are substantial.
>
>Thanks so much.

For about $350 you can get a 4mp- Kodak 6490. It has a Schneider lens, is
screaming sharp and has a lot of controls. Just take a look. Just one look.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr) writes:

> >Subject: Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (mfy)
> >Date: 10/2/2004 1:23 PM Pacific Standard Time
> >
> >I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
> >optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
> >Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
> >differences...$249).
> >
> >Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
> >help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
> >functional and/or physical differences are substantial.
> >
> >Thanks so much.
> >

> For about $350 you can get a 4mp- Kodak 6490. It has a Schneider lens, is
> screaming sharp and has a lot of controls. Just take a look. Just one look.

But it doesn't have image stabalization, so you had better hope you can shoot
in bright light to avoid camera shake.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (mfy) writes:

> I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
> optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
> Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
> differences...$249).
>
> Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
> help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
> functional and/or physical differences are substantial.

If memory serves, the FZ1 does not have much in the way of manual controls (ie,
be able to use aperture or shutter priority modes). However there is an update
that gives you most of the FZ2 functionality including manual controls, but I'm
not aware of whether it is an extra cost version. If you can't use the update
or it is too expensive, you basically will be limited to shooting only in full
automatic. Which is fine if you don't want to be bothered with the controls,
but it would be limiting if you want to do some things you can't do in auto
mode, and couldn't.. Note, the FZ1 is last years model, so presumably Ritz is
only selling existing stock.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Hans-Georg Michna

On 02 Oct 2004 21:08:23 -0400, Michael Meissner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>However there is an update
>that gives you most of the FZ2 functionality including manual controls, but I'm
>not aware of whether it is an extra cost version.

Michael,

the FZ1-2 firmware update was floating around the 'net. I still
have it, I believe.

It's now a clever way to get a fairly good camera for very
little money. The FZ1 should be very cheap, now that it's been
obsolete for quite some time. Or one could buy it used for even
less. $249 is too much.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Linda_N

"mfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
> optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
> Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
> differences...$249).
>
> Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
> help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
> functional and/or physical differences are substantial.
>
> Thanks so much.

All 3 are good cameras for the low cost (in comparison to other large
zooms), but if I'm remembering correctly the FZ3 is the only one with IS to
prevent shake. That alone is well worth the extra you'll pay for the new
FZ3. Besides $399 is pretty darn cheap as it is for a digital camera with
lots of useful features.

The FZ1 is pretty old at this point (probably discontinued) so only getting
$150 off (or between newest model and oldest) is not very good in my
opinion.

It is probably out of your price range, but the Panasonic DMC FZ20 is a
tremendous value at approximately $550, and the DMC FZ15 (also new release)
is close in dollars to what you are looking at with the FZ3. Both are better
cameras including in build quality.

Linda

Linda_N

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjn402$7qn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mfy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I am planning to purchase either a new Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x
>> optical zoom, Leica lens, 3 megapixel...$399) or a Panasonic FZ1 from
>> Ritz camera (same lens, but only 2 megapixel and some other
>> differences...$249).
>>
>> Is anyone possibly familiar with these two camera? If so, might you
>> help me understand if the price difference is worth it, and if the
>> functional and/or physical differences are substantial.

> I'd recommend the FZ10 or FZ20 over the FZ1/2/3.
>
> The larger cameras are a lot easier to use and when shot at f/5.6 at ISO
> 50,
> the FZ10 at least can produce amazingly good images. (I've seen enough
> good
> FZ10 images to be fairly confident in recommending it. But they were all
> shot at f/5.6 at ISO 50<g>.)
>
> Buy (and use!) a solid tripod.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I agree with looking at the new FZ20 or FZ15, or even the older FZ10 first.
The price difference isn't that drastic and you would be getting a much
better build quality and value for the dollar.

I doubt you need a tripod though. The IS on those models is very good from
what I've read from various sources.

Linda

Michael Meissner

"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I agree with looking at the new FZ20 or FZ15, or even the older FZ10 first.
> The price difference isn't that drastic and you would be getting a much
> better build quality and value for the dollar.
>
> I doubt you need a tripod though. The IS on those models is very good from
> what I've read from various sources.

I have a camera with image stabalization (Olympus C-2100UZ) and while the IS is
certainly useful for handheld shots, it doesn't completely eliminate the need
for a tripod. I use a tripod for instance to shoot fireworks (4-10 seconds),
and in places where I want to accurately frame something (portraits, macro,
etc.).

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)