Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3

Panasonic FZ1 (and FZ2) vs. New FZ3

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Linda_N wrote:

> Fair enough on the lugging part, and IS. There still is no expandability
> though, and the Rebel 300D with non-IS lens can be had for $800, and just
> over $1,000 with a consumer level IS lens. To me the 8800 is overpriced at
> $1000 for a fixed lens considering the reduced prices of entry level dSLRs.
> $800 would be more fair in my opinion. The Canon PowerShot S1 IS (is only
> 3.2 megs though) is only $400. I realize the 8800 has more features
> including the Nikon version of RAW, but I'm still thinking it is overpriced.

Which online sites have you seen the 300D for $800?

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

David J Taylor

Linda_N wrote:
[]
> Fair enough on the lugging part, and IS. There still is no
> expandability though, and the Rebel 300D with non-IS lens can be had
> for $800, and just over $1,000 with a consumer level IS lens. To me
> the 8800 is overpriced at $1000 for a fixed lens considering the
> reduced prices of entry level dSLRs. $800 would be more fair in my
> opinion.

When I priced it, for the same zoom range the DSLR was nearer $1500 for an
image stabilised system, and a lot bulkier and heavier as well.

> The Canon PowerShot S1 IS (is only 3.2 megs though) is only $400. I
> realize the 8800 has more features
> including the Nikon version of RAW, but I'm still thinking it is
> overpriced.
> Linda

My major criticism of the 8800 is its f/5.2 aperture at maximum focal
length, compared to the f/2.8 of the 4MP Panasonic (at what - $550?). Of
course, you do may more for the Nikon quality, but I agree with you that
$800 would be a fairer price.

We are actually in the market for this type of camera right now for one
rather special trip, and the IS part is a "must". We are between all
three Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8800. Almost tempted to think
of the Canon as a "cheap and nasty - use it and discard" and the Nikon as
"quality - buy to keep and use forever" (well, you know what I mean!).
The Panasonic somewhere in between. Of course, it isn't that simple...

Cheers,
David

Woodchuck Bill

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in news:7Tr9d.4764$(E-Mail Removed):

> We are between all
> three Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8800

Go for the Nikon 8800. Now there's a great ZLR!

--
Bill

David J Taylor

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> news:7Tr9d.4764$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> We are between all
>> three Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ20 and Nikon 8800

> Go for the Nikon 8800. Now there's a great ZLR!

Indeed it is, but with the f/5.2 lens you need the IS just to get back to
the sort of exposure level offered by the Panasonic ZLR and its f/2.8
lens!

Cheers,
David

Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:40:27 -0300, "Linda_N"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks again Hans-Georg [Ol'fountain of photo wisedom, tricks and tips]. I'm
>definitely going to make the bean bag. I might look for a similar small
>tripod that you mentioned with the legs inside too because I do take a fair
>amount of low light shots in the Winter (which is 8 months of the year here
>hahaha, just kidding, but the Winter is long in my end of Canada.) Another
>poster said they were pretty cheap so it is no great loss if I turn out not
>liking it much.

Linda,

nothing beats trying.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:35:57 -0300, "Linda_N"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does your bean bag have a waterproof fabric on it? I forget what/if you
>mentioned the material you used and the original post is no longer on my
>system here.

Linda,

no, my bean (or millet) bag is not waterproof at all. I believe,
if it ever gets wet, I can only eat the content, dry the bag,
and refill it. (

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Linda_N

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ck22gf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've been using a homebrew bag of "soft beans" inside of a old sock -
> styrofoam packing beans that have been chopped to smithereens in a
> blender. They're cheap, inert, waterproof, washable, extremely
> lightweight, yet still scrunchy enough to do the job. A needle and thread
> with creativity can add a face and cure any boo-boos.

Excellent suggestion, Jer. Thanks! I have access to lots of packing Styro.

hahaha on the add a face and cure boo-boos part. A perfectly snuck in funny
on your part.

Linda