Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RANT- Reality Check-"The Early Days of Digital Photography"

RANT- Reality Check-"The Early Days of Digital Photography"

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that bob <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>>> I did a university

>> With about a 5 minute download, I could compile any of the standard
>> flavours of FORTRAN on this machine, for free.
>>

>Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
me).

jjs

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

> That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
> needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
> the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
> me).

Ach, you don't have to build a reader from scratch. Bulk-load a stacking
scanner and use OMR and a little BASIC.

Justín Käse

In Message-ID:<Xns957660947643Ebobatcarolnet@207.69.189.192> posted on
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:25:23 GMT, bob wrote:

>Digital photography has progressed to the point that a consumer can spend
>$400 on a digital camera that will produce resulting prints that are
>every bit as good as the prints he used to buy from his 35mm SLR. In
>fact, the limiting factor now is the photo printers, rather than the
>cameras.

Doesn't take too long to amortize the cost of equipment for casual
shooting (picnics, events) when the end result of snapshots can be had
at WalMart for 24 cents apiece. And that's only the ones you want, not
the entire roll of assorted ****ups and lab errors.
--

JK

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid

Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> for the sake of my comparison I consider modern photography to be a
> direct descendant of the first film negatives created by Henry
> Talbot in 1834. That gives photography a pedigree of at least 170
> years. Even starting from the first Leica (1924) we have a
> photographic history of 80 years!

> By contrast, digital photography (using a sensor as opposed to a
> film negative) can, at best, claim a history of roughly 17 years
> with Kodak's first commercial sensor around 1987

At best? The first commercial sensor for digital photography was the
CCD201ADC, from Fairchild, in 1973. By 1986, Kodak were a long way
down the road with a 1.4 Mpixel sensor.

Andrew.

usenet@imagenoir.com

Kibo informs me that "jjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>Yeah, but how are you going to read the punch cards?

>> That'd depend a lot on how many I needed to read, & how often. If I just
>> needed to do it once, & I'd build an optical reader from scratch, & feed
>> the cards by hand, (or pay a student/unemployed-person to feed them for
>> me).

>Ach, you don't have to build a reader from scratch. Bulk-load a stacking
>scanner and use OMR and a little BASIC.

Ew. That'd be too much like trying to make a wheel out of bricks. I like
even my kludges to /some/ degree of elegance.

JPS@no.komm

In message <Ufe7d.42$ae7.12@trndny07>,
"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Way back when I got my Oly E-10 I would hear people whisper "That's a
>digital camera!," others would freak when I showed them a photo on the
>viewer...they had no idea that digital existed. I think that is what people
>are refering to when they talk of when digital was new...the days before it
>was ubiquitous. I do agree though that we are where the PC was before the
>IBM-PC. There are no standards.

I often find that when I am out with my 10D, that people automatically
assume that it is a film camera. I had one guy back in the spring look
at me using my 10D, and said, "it's good to see some people are still
using film; this digital stuff everyone's going for today is just a bad
joke".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Drifter

---snip----
>I often find that when I am out with my 10D, that people automatically
>assume that it is a film camera. I had one guy back in the spring look
>at me using my 10D, and said, "it's good to see some people are still
>using film; this digital stuff everyone's going for today is just a bad
>joke".

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, the look of shock on
their faces when I tell them it IS digital is priceless.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:55:10 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>In message <Ufe7d.42$ae7.12@trndny07>,
>>"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>---snip----
>>I often find that when I am out with my 10D, that people automatically
>>assume that it is a film camera. I had one guy back in the spring look
>>at me using my 10D, and said, "it's good to see some people are still
>>using film; this digital stuff everyone's going for today is just a bad
>>joke".

>I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, the look of shock on
>their faces when I tell them it IS digital is priceless.

I am often at popular tourist spots in NYC, and people see me with my
10D and ask me to take a picture of them. My running joke is to lift my
camera and take a picture of them, knowing full well that they meant
with *their* camera. A couple of weeks ago, as a woman handed me her
camera, she said, "sorry, but it's a digital". I then pressed the
review button on mine and showed her the LCD, and she said, "I didn't
see that big camera in Office Max!".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Drifter

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:31:40 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:55:10 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>In message <Ufe7d.42$ae7.12@trndny07>,
>>>"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>---snip----
>>>I often find that when I am out with my 10D, that people automatically
>>>assume that it is a film camera. I had one guy back in the spring look
>>>at me using my 10D, and said, "it's good to see some people are still
>>>using film; this digital stuff everyone's going for today is just a bad
>>>joke".

>>I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, the look of shock on
>>their faces when I tell them it IS digital is priceless.

>I am often at popular tourist spots in NYC, and people see me with my
>10D and ask me to take a picture of them. My running joke is to lift my
>camera and take a picture of them, knowing full well that they meant
>with *their* camera. A couple of weeks ago, as a woman handed me her
>camera, she said, "sorry, but it's a digital". I then pressed the
>review button on mine and showed her the LCD, and she said, "I didn't
>see that big camera in Office Max!".

ROTFLMAO! Stop, yer killing me!!! <gasp wheeze>

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."