Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pocketable camera with manual control

Pocketable camera with manual control

zxcvar

Greetings! IS there any pocketable camera with some degree of manual
control? With thanks.

Roger

There has been a lot written about the Canon s60 so it's easy to
research and learn what the manufacturer's mean about "manual
control". I have the camera and use the manual features quite a bit
(e.g. scale focusing and aperture priority AE). You can also do
complete manual with manual shutter speed. Some of the manual
operations are fiddley but for the most it's pretty reasonable to do
so. Check out http://www.dpreview.com for the s60 reviews and
descriptions. Others are available.

I have the "C" (custom) shooting mode set up for 28mm f5.6 hyperfocal
shooting. It makes a great street setup and unless you have a very
contrasty situation, the AE is fast and there is negligible delay.

Hope this helps,
Roger

On 29 Sep 2004 11:24:46 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (zxcvar)
wrote:

>Greetings! IS there any pocketable camera with some degree of manual
>control? With thanks.

Ron Hunter

zxcvar wrote:
> Greetings! IS there any pocketable camera with some degree of manual
> control? With thanks.

Sure. MOst have some manual control. Check out the Kodak LS series,
and the DX series, for a start.
Full manual with manual focus is usually found only on somewhat larger
cameras.

photobugST@yahoo.com

Check out the Canon Powershot S-60 5MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical
Zoom
http://digital-camera.review-center....SIN=B00028CECM

You can get one for about $450. Or if you want better MP, there's
always the Canon PowerShot S70 7.1MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical
Zoom for about $560. The S60 is a great camera that has a good balance
between size and manual control features.

Definitely lighter than the S50, and the 28mm equivalent lense is nice
and wide angle, and maintains great edge sharpness. Full manual control
-- including the focus, auto bracket, and flexible autofocus and
auto-exposure controls.

Shoots in Canon RAW mode, though this is proprietary to Canon so keeps
you dependent. The battery last a long time and recharges quickly, but
again it's proprietary so doesn't take the AA batteries that many other
cams, and the batteries are harder to find of course. Solid
construction (except for battery door).

Cons: A bit of shutter lag (though this is pretty common in almost all
of this class of camera). Sliding lense cover may get in the way when
open, and the battery door does not stay closed so well if you have the
cam in your pocket, for example. Doesn't take standard batteries. LCD
screen doesn't swivel and lacks anti-reflective coating.

This is a prosumer, camera in a point-and-shoot body, so if that's the
balance you're looking for, it's definitely worth considering.

-Scott