Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best laptop for digital photo work?

Best laptop for digital photo work?

Linda_N

"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Linda_N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'll look into the laptop bags that have a 'backpack' design. My 3 laptop
>>bags are all handle/strap and if carrying a distance I do find I need to
>>switch shoulders often. Thanks for pointing this out.

> I would suggest the bags by Hedgren. My wife and I both have one, and
> it has a thin padded pocket next to the back which is ideal for the
> laptop. The front pockets have places for phone, places for mouse
> and pocket for power-supply/cables etc. Mine is the HUP02l. It's
> exceedingly light, and does exactly what you want it to do.
>
> www.hedgren.com
> http://www.hedgren.be/modules/collec...?cid=7&iid=121
>
> It's perfect for my IBM T-series Thinkpad, which I love because it's
> rugged (titanium case) and portable. With CDRW-DVD and built-in WiFi
> etc it weighs less than 6 pounds. Battery life is great; can't
> complain.
>
> --
> Ken Tough

Thanks for the product recommendation based on your experience with it, and
the link. This is just what I need to balance the weight better.

The IBM Thinkpad models have always been good, and keep getting better in my
opinion. I've used several through work over the years. We still have one of
the older original Pentium models (used by visitors from other offices so if
it gets lost nobody cares) that is approximately 3 inches tall. That think
is built like a tank, but as heavy as one too. Most laptops were still on
the hefty side at that time, but now they are mostly light. That is why I
was so surprised when it was mentioned that the Toshiba Satellite P25
weighed in at 10lbs!

Linda

Mark Weaver

"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Most laptops were still on
> the hefty side at that time, but now they are mostly light. That is why I
> was so surprised when it was mentioned that the Toshiba Satellite P25
> weighed in at 10lbs!

It weighs 10lbs because it is designed as a 'desktop replacement' machine
where max portability isn't the most important criterion. It has a 17" LCD
and a desktop rather than mobile processor. There are tradeoffs between
power and light weight, and that particular machine leans toward the power
end of the spectrum. Toshiba also makes lightweights.

Mark

Ken Tough

Linda_N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Most laptops were still on
>the hefty side at that time, but now they are mostly light. That is why I
>was so surprised when it was mentioned that the Toshiba Satellite P25
>weighed in at 10lbs!

To be honest, I find the new Thinkpads lighter than most I've
seen around. Things like the Viao look light, then you realise
they had no CD/DVD built-in, if you need connectors you need to
bring a break-out port, the Sony power-supplies are huge bricks,
etc. I suppose your image requirements might be a factor, though
most good LCDs will be roughly the same these days. (Check out the
built-in display driving capabilities.)

One factor might be the ability to support the on-board LCD as
well as an external monitor together at once. XP will do that
for you out-of-the-box (at least on Thinkpad, probably on many)
whereas Win2000 etc will need a PCMCIA vid card for that.

--
Ken Tough

ERich10983

>One factor might be the ability to support the on-board LCD as
>well as an external monitor together at once. XP will do that
>for you out-of-the-box (at least on Thinkpad, probably on many)
>whereas Win2000 etc will need a PCMCIA vid card for that.

My HP Pavilion zx5180 does that. Very handy when I'm teaching with the Sony 19"
monitor facing the small audience and the laptop screen facing me. During
normal operation when using the external monitor, I dim the laptop screen so it
is practically off.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Ken Tough

ERich10983 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>One factor might be the ability to support the on-board LCD as
>>well as an external monitor together at once. XP will do that
>>for you out-of-the-box (at least on Thinkpad, probably on many)
>>whereas Win2000 etc will need a PCMCIA vid card for that.

>My HP Pavilion zx5180 does that. Very handy when I'm teaching with the Sony 19"
>monitor facing the small audience and the laptop screen facing me. During
>normal operation when using the external monitor, I dim the laptop screen so it
>is practically off.

Ahh, but the 'two monitors' thing in XP allows you to configure
the two monitors as windows onto a single desktop. So you can
move the mouse from one screen onto the other one. Handy for
keeping email on one screen and docs on the other, for example.

--
Ken Tough

Linda_N

"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F1SixrDVp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Linda_N <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Most laptops were still on
>>the hefty side at that time, but now they are mostly light. That is why I
>>was so surprised when it was mentioned that the Toshiba Satellite P25
>>weighed in at 10lbs!

> To be honest, I find the new Thinkpads lighter than most I've
> seen around. Things like the Viao look light, then you realise
> they had no CD/DVD built-in, if you need connectors you need to
> bring a break-out port, the Sony power-supplies are huge bricks,
> etc. I suppose your image requirements might be a factor, though
> most good LCDs will be roughly the same these days. (Check out the
> built-in display driving capabilities.)
>
> One factor might be the ability to support the on-board LCD as
> well as an external monitor together at once. XP will do that
> for you out-of-the-box (at least on Thinkpad, probably on many)
> whereas Win2000 etc will need a PCMCIA vid card for that.

My Toshiba Satellite has this feature. I run a 19" Professional Series
ViewSonic and the laptop's 15" LCD. I have lots of choices for display,
including the order of the Primary and Secondary monitors, which is
top/bottom or left/right, and if the desktop is extended (stretched across
both) or if each is to stand alone (desktop appears on both), plus I can
plug in the TV, DVD player, DV Cam. Mine is card driven though not via XP
alone.

I like it because sometimes I can just turn off the laptop display via the
taskbar graphics control icon to save the bulb, while other times I can have
one app on one monitor and another in the other. Speeds my workflow up.

Linda

Linda_N

"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ERich10983 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>My HP Pavilion zx5180 does that. Very handy when I'm teaching with the
>>Sony 19"
>>monitor facing the small audience and the laptop screen facing me. During
>>normal operation when using the external monitor, I dim the laptop screen
>>so it
>>is practically off.

> Ahh, but the 'two monitors' thing in XP allows you to configure
> the two monitors as windows onto a single desktop. So you can
> move the mouse from one screen onto the other one. Handy for
> keeping email on one screen and docs on the other, for example.

I like the feature too (mine is card driven, but still I get the options you
get through XP only). I can turn my LCD completely off which is nice to save
on wear if I don't need both displays, and use both if I want to
multi-apptask. (I made that term up hehehe).

Linda