Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best laptop for digital photo work?

Best laptop for digital photo work?

hassy_user

andre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<NEr6d.21106$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Keith Kuttler wrote:
> > I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
> > Any recommendations on what I should look at?
> > I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
> >
> > r/
> > Keith
> >

> Although I am using Laptops myself I believe its not the best choice for
> image editing, since you will never be able to perfectly adjust gamma.
> Mainly because the perceived gamma depends on your viewing angle. So
> matching the edited image to the print is relative hard. A CRT display
> will do much better since it is less dependent on viewing angle.
>
> Andre

Agreed. I do everything on my laptop, but have a CRT plugged into it
for editing. Unfortunately, since the LS8000 I scan on is at a
friend's place, I have to scan using the LCD, but it works out ok. I
tried calibrating the LCD using the Gretag Eye-one, but the results
were still unsatisfactory.

Mark Weaver

"Keith Kuttler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am looking at a HP zd700. Come with the 17" screen which might make for

> bulky computer but will sure be nice when processing my digital photo's.
> Anyone have any comment regarding this choice?

Sounds like a reasonable choice to me. I have a 15.4" Compaq (HP) WXGA+
notebook with an Athlon 64 processor. Very happy with it so far for digital
photography and in general.

Mark

Hils

>Most pros use Mac's but I use a PC now. Just look for A LOT of RAM
>512MB min

It's also worth bearing in mind portability. The weight of laptops can
vary from less than 2kg to 5kg, and you probably won't want to add 5kg
to your everyday gadget bag. Battery life is another aspect: this can
vary from 40 minutes to 4-5 hours, and spare batteries are expensive. By
and large the lightweight models have better battery life; if you need
real portability start by looking at the latest Centrino-based models
(1.7 or faster).

--
Hil

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm pretty happy with my Dell Inspiron 8200 (older model). You might want
>to take a look at some of the newer Inspirons. I got the UXGA display
>(1600x1200) and find that useful. One thing you might like about many of
>the Inspirons (verify before you pick one) is that many have interchangeable
>video cards so that you can upgrade later on...THAT is rare in a laptop.
>
>"Keith Kuttler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
>> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
>> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
>>
>> r/
>> Keith

Look for a firewire port. A firewire disk can be used as backup
for your images, and as a PS work disk.

USB 2 is fast for file transfer but. IMO it uses lots of CPU while
it's reading or writing and therefore not good as a second disk for
processing.

Price an extended warranty (3 years). It's lots easier to get a
machine fixed than to select a new model in a rush, bu ity, and
reinstall your software if the old machine breaks 13 minths ago.

FWIW I've had lots of luck with Dell's on-your-site, next day
service. I used to "own" about 3,000 laptops. I have no other
relationship with Dell.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

George

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjfric$fnl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I'm pretty happy with my Dell Inspiron 8200 (older model). You might

want
> >to take a look at some of the newer Inspirons. I got the UXGA display
> >(1600x1200) and find that useful. One thing you might like about many of
> >the Inspirons (verify before you pick one) is that many have

interchangeable
> >video cards so that you can upgrade later on...THAT is rare in a laptop.
> >
> >"Keith Kuttler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography

work.
> >> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
> >> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
> >>
> >> r/
> >> Keith
> >>

> Look for a firewire port. A firewire disk can be used as backup
> for your images, and as a PS work disk.
>
> USB 2 is fast for file transfer but. IMO it uses lots of CPU while
> it's reading or writing and therefore not good as a second disk for
> processing.
>

> Price an extended warranty (3 years). It's lots easier to get a
> machine fixed than to select a new model in a rush, bu ity, and
> reinstall your software if the old machine breaks 13 minths ago.
>
> FWIW I've had lots of luck with Dell's on-your-site, next day
> service. I used to "own" about 3,000 laptops. I have no other
> relationship with Dell.
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m

I didn't mention the Firewire (or i-Link or IEEE1394) port as even
my two year old Inspiron has it...I'd be surprised if a notebook made
in the last year didn't have one. (But, it doesn't hurt to verify.) BTW,
there are new (faster) Firewire and USB standards and those ports
should be appearing soon. Also, Cardbus slots are handy...I got a
Cardbus reader for type I & II Compact Flash from B&H and that
works great. Also have a Firewire Compact Flash reader on order.

Linda_N

"Harry Krause" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Linda_N wrote:
>> "Keith Kuttler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
>>> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
>>> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
>>>
>>> r/
>>> Keith
>>>

>> I don't know if it is the best, but it is designed for multimedia and got
>> all the parts'N'toys to prove it.
>>
>> http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...7&ccid=1291021
>>
>> If that breaks off it is the Toshiba Satellite P25 Multimedia Extreme
>> machine. The enhanced LCD is key.
>>

> Great machine, but it must weigh close to 10 pounds. That's a lot of
> laptop to lug around.

That is a lot especially for a Toshiba which normally pays attention to slim
and trim. My older model Satellite is no where near 10lbs, it is 4 maybe, so
it didn't even register to look at weight for a newer model. Good lesson.

Linda

Dave Herzstein

George wrote:
> ...Also have a Firewire Compact Flash reader on order.

If your laptop only has a 4-pin Firewire connector, it won't supply
power to the card reader.

-Dave

Mark Weaver

"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > Great machine, but it must weigh close to 10 pounds. That's a lot of
> > laptop to lug around.
> >

> That is a lot especially for a Toshiba which normally pays attention to

slim
> and trim. My older model Satellite is no where near 10lbs, it is 4 maybe,

so
> it didn't even register to look at weight for a newer model. Good lesson.

That's because it's a 17 inch "desktop replacement" machine--it's not
designed to be a lightweight. It wouldn't be a good choice to lug through
airports and wouldn't be very handy on an airplane tray table, but for a lot
of uses, it would be fine.

Mark

bob

"Keith Kuttler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I am looking at a HP zd700. Come with the 17" screen which might make
> for a bulky computer but will sure be nice when processing my digital
> photo's. Anyone have any comment regarding this choice?

We have a HP N5170 at the office with a 17" screen. It's two or three years
old. It's ok for general purposes, but it wouldn't work well for much
editing. The screen is just too limited. The colors are off, and the
contrast is different.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Linda_N

"Mark Weaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> That's because it's a 17 inch "desktop replacement" machine--it's not
> designed to be a lightweight. It wouldn't be a good choice to lug through
> airports and wouldn't be very handy on an airplane tray table, but for a
> lot
> of uses, it would be fine.
>
> Mark

Yeah 10 lbs is too much for a laptop to lug around. The concept of 'desktop
replacement' that 'isn't portable' seems like an irony to me because the
whole idea of laptops/notebooks originally was 'portability' while still
being able to plug in at home/office. Laptops/notebooks are near double the
price of a better featured PC tower system (normally more expandable and
cheaper to do so). I think people are so caught up in the technology game
and having the biggest and best that perhaps they're buying stuff that just
doesn't make sense to anyone but the manufacturers who sit back and laugh as
the endless dollars flow in.

Linda