Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rotated printer for Fuji

Rotated printer for Fuji

Tripurari Singh

Do you get "rotated" printers that can take advantage of Fuji's Super
CCD? Or do you have to resort to higher resolution "straight" printing
to recover the detail?

Thanks,
Tripurari

David Dyer-Bennet

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tripurari Singh) writes:

> Do you get "rotated" printers that can take advantage of Fuji's Super
> CCD? Or do you have to resort to higher resolution "straight" printing
> to recover the detail?

By the time you get access to the image on your computer, it's been
rendered into an ordinary rectangular pixel array -- this is necessary
to put it into any of the standard file formats. So nothing special
is needed to work with the images at that point.

Nor is there extra detail to recover anyway. There's a slight
increase in diagonal resolution compared to horizontal or vertical.
The benefit of the SuperCCD is that they have bigger pixel wells,
hence lower noise.

andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tripurari Singh) writes:

>> Do you get "rotated" printers that can take advantage of Fuji's Super
>> CCD? Or do you have to resort to higher resolution "straight" printing
>> to recover the detail?

> [ ... ]

> Nor is there extra detail to recover anyway. There's a slight
> increase in diagonal resolution compared to horizontal or vertical.

No, the diagonal resolution is lower: the horizontal and vertical
resolution are better, by a factor of about sqrt(2).

> The benefit of the SuperCCD is that they have bigger pixel wells,
> hence lower noise.

The diagonal packing really makes for a better fill factor? Have you
ever seen any real data to support this?

Andrew.

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, andrew29
@littlepinkcloud.invalid says...
> The diagonal packing really makes for a better fill factor? Have you
> ever seen any real data to support this?
>
> Andrew.

I have no paper data to back it up, but the pictures I take with my Fuji
cameras are a LITTLE better than pictures taken at the same (sensor)
resolution with cameras that dont have the Super-CCD.

I seem to get a SLIGHT improvement in the purely subjective areas of
"clarity" and "detail"(and a little less noise) (I shoot in RAW mode
exclusively (In manual mode with shoe mounted flash) at usually ISO 200 with
the fuji cameras, which alows me, in photoshop CS, to choose whether or not
to "interpolate' to the larger file sizes that the Fujis can produce)

How much of it is real and how much of it is "smoke and mirrors" is
irrelevent to me, I only care about the final photo, and I have several
thousand of those that are "Keepers".

I must interject here that I have been shooting/selling photos since 1964, so
I feel qualified to judge what Im getting. Like I said, the difference is, in
my judgement purely subjective, not PROVABLE other that it sometimes makes a
more PLEASING photo for me. (Im the ONLY person I work to please) If the
customer doesn't like/doesnt buy a print, I still keep the good ones,
sometimes Im contacted later for prints the customer didn't want at first. (I
hand out a LOT of business cards with Mail and Email address, phone number
ect.

Of course I also use a Sony 828, so Im treading on forbidden territory in the
digital world.(alot of people despise this camera and Sony in general) I dont
have the infamous "NOISE" problem with the 828 as I use it at ISO 64 and ISO
100 settings, in other words lots of light and a flash. (f2.8 to f3 with
shutter speed 160 to 260 and Sony proprietary flash with remote flashes
placed where I need them (outside the ring aimed AWAY from subject toward
walls to kill shadows)

The 828 (and the Fujis) are used to take pictures in environments where I
wouldn't dare use a camera with a lens that needs changing from time to time.

Though I was REALLY pleased with the Digital Rebel, I found myself hunting
for places, and waiting for times to change lenses to prevent dust on the
sensor. (it didn't work out for me) So I replaced it with the Sony.

In answer to un-asked questions, I have only had "CA" or "purple fringing" in
a half dozen shots out of 2650 pictures taken with the Sony (it shows up
sometimes around VERY FINE detail on mostly back-lit subjects).

Do I consider these cameras to be "Pro Level Gear"??? Not really,, I'de be
much happier shooting with a D70 or a Top of the line Canon, but Im selling
to a fairly captive audience (most of my shots are sold in places where other
photogs have tended NOT to show up a second time due to damage caused to
their equipment caused by dirt/dust intrusion in their equipment.)

The center of a horse show ring, with 20 to 25 horses walking, trotting, and
cantering/loping around you is NOT the place to change lenses, so I use
cameras with zooms that can handle the full range of shots in a 75' by 150'
or 100' by 200' indoor, poorly ventilated indoor show ring.(average size of a
show ring at the "A" level Quarter horse shows.

Having sold just over 2000 8x10 prints between April 1 and Sept. 30 this
year, I find I will be able to purchase the camera of my choice for the start
of the spring season in April, but it will NOT be going into the ring with
me, it will stay in the camera case and only be used to improve my POSED
shots, that are taken outside the ring, outdoors in comparitively non-dusty
environments. (I must investigate the "Ultra-Sonic" sensor protection to find
out if the adhesive pads involved are user replaceable, as one weekend at a
horse show would probably "fill it up")

Hell, I even shot a wedding (where I was a guest) with the Sony, and got MORE
and better pictures (according to the subject couple) than the "PRO" that was
hired to shoot the wedding. (I used the Sony with Sonys proprietary flash)

Surprisingly, she showed up with an old PENTAX 35mm SLR, two lenses, and from
the packages I saw her open, a bunch of 200/400 ISO fuji film, And a d70 that
I only saw her use once. I had expected at the price she charged to show up
(>$1000 (US)) with at LEAST a decent MF camera.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

mark_digital©

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, andrew29
> Hell, I even shot a wedding (where I was a guest) with the Sony, and got MORE
> and better pictures (according to the subject couple) than the "PRO" that was
> hired to shoot the wedding. (I used the Sony with Sonys proprietary flash)
>
> Surprisingly, she showed up with an old PENTAX 35mm SLR, two lenses, and from
> the packages I saw her open, a bunch of 200/400 ISO fuji film, And a d70 that
> I only saw her use once. I had expected at the price she charged to show up
> (>$1000 (US)) with at LEAST a decent MF camera.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

If you had stepped in and advised the married couple as to what
to expect from a professional, and they listened to you, you're
meal probably would have been cheese and crackers, not a choice
of filet mignon, stuffed chicken breast, or baked scrod.

mark_

Tripurari Singh

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-b.net>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Tripurari Singh) writes:
>
> > Do you get "rotated" printers that can take advantage of Fuji's Super
> > CCD? Or do you have to resort to higher resolution "straight" printing
> > to recover the detail?

> By the time you get access to the image on your computer, it's been
> rendered into an ordinary rectangular pixel array -- this is necessary
> to put it into any of the standard file formats. So nothing special
> is needed to work with the images at that point.

You can choose not to rotate if you use raw.

> Nor is there extra detail to recover anyway. There's a slight
> increase in diagonal resolution compared to horizontal or vertical.
> The benefit of the SuperCCD is that they have bigger pixel wells,
> hence lower noise.

If you print the straightened image, you don't lose detail but the
image isn't sharp because of interpolation. On the other hand, if you
resize it to a smaller image to make it sharp then you lose detail.

I can think of only two ways to get both sharpness and detail:
1. Print the interpolated/straightened image on a higher resolution
printer
2. Print the rotated image and trim off the sides

Both of these are wasteful/expensive. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Tripurari

Larry

> If you had stepped in and advised the married couple as to what
> to expect from a professional, and they listened to you, you're
> meal probably would have been cheese and crackers, not a choice
> of filet mignon, stuffed chicken breast, or baked scrod.
>

> mark_

Kept mum on the subject... not my place to advise them...even if they are
relatives.

I do know they are not happy with what they got, but then again its not my
place to say anything.

Im sure this photographer has had happy customers in the past, Im just
surprised at what she showed up with for doing wedding photos. I know if I
were to take on the responsibility of someones wedding photos (something I
know Im not equiped to do at this time) I would bring more than a 30 year old
35mm camera/flash and 2 wide angle lenses.

I expected to see (at the least) the top of Canons digital line and a 'Blad.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.