Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The three things that annoy my with digital

The three things that annoy my with digital

BG250

1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use with or when
not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now I have to stock up on
another format.

2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very small
cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even obsolete in
the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony models using 2 AA
batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive when
a second or replacement is necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh AA's
for around $10.

3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic range.
One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!

bg

Mark Weaver

"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very small
> cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even obsolete

in
> the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony models using 2 AA
> batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive

when
> a second or replacement is necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh

AA's
> for around $10.

I prefer the proprietary Li batteries -- more power means they last longer
and are more compact than AAs. And compared to the cost of the camera,
they're quite cheap. An extra 3rd party battery for canons runs about $10
(and it fits both my digicam and video camera).

> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic range.
> One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!

The smaller sensors make it possible to produce smaller cameras and smaller
and faster zoom lenses. Also live preview and video modes. It's true that
most of these cameras aren't great at ISO400, but arguably no worse than 400
film (especially if you apply a bit of noise reduction to the images). I
would like to have the two extra stops of 'film speed' you get with a
DSLR -- but not at the cost of compactness, lens speed, live preview and
video clips.

Mark

Bill Hilton

>From: "BG250" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> ... or when not carrying the dSLR ...

If you have a dSLR I'm surprised you didn't mention sensor dust

Gene Palmiter

Its rough being an early adopter....hold off for another twenty years and
things will standardize.

Things I hate about film photography.....the glass plates keep
breaking....and they dry out too fast. The darkroom tent is a pain to pack
on the mule...and I think the cyanide gasses might be bad for my health.

"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use with or

when
> not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now I have to stock up

on
> another format.
>
> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very small
> cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even obsolete

in
> the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony models using 2 AA
> batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive

when
> a second or replacement is necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh

AA's
> for around $10.
>
> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic range.
> One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!
>
> bg

Robert Barr

I prefer the lithium ions, but I wouldn't base a camera choice on that
aspect.

What annoys me: Those damned LED's that change color. They'll glow red
for one situation and green for another -- focus acquisition, camera
shake, etcetera. They're also on rechargers, to glow red when the
batteries are charging and green when they're done.

That's really handy UNLESS YOU'RE RED - GREEN COLORBLIND!

In my case, these are absolutely useless. When I see an LED glowing, it
means nothing -- unless it's the difference between a solid and a
blinking light.

NICE JOB, GUYS!

I realize the dual-color LED's probably save the manufacturer a few
cents in production costs. That's comforting when I pay $$$$ for a
digital camera.

David J Taylor

BG250 wrote:
> 1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use with
> or when not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now I have
> to stock up on another format.

Why not buy cameras which use the same standard, e.g. Compact Flash?

> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very
> small cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even
> obsolete in the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony
> models using 2 AA batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch.
> Li-ion are expensive when a second or replacement is necessary. You
> can get a four pack of Ni-mh AA's for around $10.

Why not buy cameras that use AA batteries?

> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic
> range. One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!
>
> bg

So buy the previous generation of sensors - 5MP not 8MP!

(We are actually considering which stabilised camera to buy - Nikon 8800,
Canon S1 IS or Panasonic FZ-20, and the battery and storage compatibility
with a Nikon 990 do indeed enter the considerations, but we don't feel we
being forced in a direction we don't want to go).

It seems that everything which annoys you is actually under your own
control....

Cheers,
David

Joseph Meehan

BG250 wrote:
> 1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use with or
> when
> not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now I have to stock up
> on
> another format.
>
> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very small
> cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even obsolete
> in
> the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony models using 2 AA
> batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive
> when
> a second or replacement is necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh
> AA's
> for around $10.
>
> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic range.
> One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!
>
> bg

I really hated film cameras, different film sizes different film types,
odd meter batteries, PC connections then they got hotshoes they even all had
different lens mounts, and just when you thought you had it figured out by
staying with one manufacturer they changed their mount. Such is life.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ken Weitzel

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> Its rough being an early adopter....hold off for another twenty years and
> things will standardize.
>
> Things I hate about film photography.....the glass plates keep
> breaking....and they dry out too fast. The darkroom tent is a pain to pack
> on the mule...and I think the cyanide gasses might be bad for my health.

Worse yet is I keep starting fires with the flash powder.
Near enough to burned the hut down!!

Ken

scott

"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> 1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use
> with or when not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now
> I have to stock up on another format.
>
> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very
> small cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are
> even obsolete in the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts,
> like Sony models using 2 AA batteries. You could even use Alkaline
> in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive when a second or replacement is
> necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh AA's for around $10.
>
> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic
> range. One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic
> range!

I just sold my Canon A40 to my sis, seems like that would suit you
perfectly. Takes compact flash (same as my dSLR), standard AAs, and has a
bigger sensor than the new smaller ones.

Rick

"BG250" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Too many card formats. I find a second compact I like to use with or when
> not carrying the dSLR, it takes a different card! Now I have to stock up on
> another format.

Agreed.

> 2. Proprietary Lithium Ion batteries, While necessary for the very small
> cameras, every maker has to have their own style. Some are even obsolete in
> the next model ARRGH! There are some compacts, like Sony models using 2 AA
> batteries. You could even use Alkaline in a pinch. Li-ion are expensive when
> a second or replacement is necessary. You can get a four pack of Ni-mh AA's
> for around $10.

I disagree. It's tremendously useful and worth the extra cost to
many people to know exactly how much battery time is remaining.

> 3. New smaller sensors. Noisy and some suffer from lessened dynamic range.
> One big ARRGH!! If anything, digital needs MORE dynamic range!

Couldn't agree more. Older is better in many cases. The other
post that mentions the Canon A40 is a good example. It runs
rings around our new 3MP S1 IS with regard to dynamic range
and chromatic aberration.

Rick