Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Very large image file

Very large image file

Gerry Boulter

I have a Kodak DC290 with a 256MB SanDisk Compact Flash card. After I've
taken about 15 or so photos, one photo file just keeps growing each time I
take a photo. Right now the file size is 217,636 KB. I suspect that it
contains the data for all the photos taken after the first 15. Has anyone
experienced this problem? Is there any change of recovering the individual
photos. If so how? What is causing this problem?

Thanks

GEB

John W. Wells

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:47:40 -0400, "Gerry Boulter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Kodak DC290 with a 256MB SanDisk Compact Flash card. After I've
>taken about 15 or so photos, one photo file just keeps growing each time I
>take a photo. Right now the file size is 217,636 KB. I suspect that it
>contains the data for all the photos taken after the first 15. Has anyone
>experienced this problem? Is there any change of recovering the individual
>photos. If so how? What is causing this problem?

My DC290 has taken over 10,000 pictures--no problems so far, so I
really can't answer your question.

I have used SanDisk CFs as large as 1GB with no problem. Does this
symptom occur with cards smaller than 256MB? If so perhaps the CF is
faulty. As I recall, SanDisk cards are guaranteed for life.

The thing I never did try with my DC290 was creating a folder
structure on the card. Could it be that your 217,636 KB file is a
FOLDER that you've inadvertently created?

There is a Yahoo group related to this camera series which might be
able to offer help. Kinda inactive now, but still read by many:

--John W. Wells

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:47:40 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Gerry Boulter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Kodak DC290 with a 256MB SanDisk Compact Flash card. After I've
>taken about 15 or so photos, one photo file just keeps growing each time I
>take a photo. Right now the file size is 217,636 KB. I suspect that it
>contains the data for all the photos taken after the first 15. Has anyone
>experienced this problem? Is there any change of recovering the individual
>photos. If so how? What is causing this problem?

DL the photos to you PC, then reformat the card in the camera if you all
ready haven't tried this.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ron Baird

Greetings Gerry,

That is unusual~! I have not heard of that situation before? I wonder,
have you tried using a different card in your system? If you do what
happens after the 15th picture. If you have not yet tried this please do
and let me know how you make out. Also, you may want to try running a
program like Norton Utilities to see if you can reclaim the card, or other
software that will salvage images, i.e. Image Recall. Let me know how you
make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

news:s956d.3015$(E-Mail Removed)...