Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera/binoculars

Digital camera/binoculars

elliot

Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
w/binoculars?

& I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?

Elliot in NJ.

Linda_N

"elliot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
> w/binoculars?
>
> & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
>
> Elliot in NJ.

It depends on the camera you're using. The largest problem you'll have using
binoculars (actually go for a monocular) is shake. There are a number of
stabilized binoculars including Canon, but they're costly. Spotting scopes
work like magic but again for 'high quality', image stabilized, monoculars
you're looking at 800+usd, else you'll need to use the tripod, and you'll
have to make sure your camara's lens is adaptable to the scope, monocular or
1 binocular eye cup. There are a number of adapters out there already for
different model P & S cameras.

Brunton puts out a really neat Macroscope if you can get your hands on one
(that model is almost always sold out the same day they get a new order in).
That monoscope has excellent low light performance and works perfectly with
a lot of P&S cameras for both macro and telephoto shots. Very nice for
$149usd.

Linda

Jan Nademlejnsky

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. The pictures could be only taken
when binocular is absolutely steady, which is impossible with hand held and
without some kind of remote control binoculars. I received one as a
Christmas gift, but I returned it to the store. No matter what I tried, even
under very good conditions, the pictures were always lousy.

Jan

"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1o06d.2813$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "elliot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
>> w/binoculars?
>>
>> & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
>>
>> Elliot in NJ.
>>

> It depends on the camera you're using. The largest problem you'll have
> using binoculars (actually go for a monocular) is shake. There are a
> number of stabilized binoculars including Canon, but they're costly.
> Spotting scopes work like magic but again for 'high quality', image
> stabilized, monoculars you're looking at 800+usd, else you'll need to use
> the tripod, and you'll have to make sure your camara's lens is adaptable
> to the scope, monocular or 1 binocular eye cup. There are a number of
> adapters out there already for different model P & S cameras.
>
> Brunton puts out a really neat Macroscope if you can get your hands on one
> (that model is almost always sold out the same day they get a new order
> in). That monoscope has excellent low light performance and works
> perfectly with a lot of P&S cameras for both macro and telephoto shots.
> Very nice for $149usd.
>
> Linda

Gadgets

Some of those cheapies shoot digi thru separate optics, not what you are
viewing bino thru... and then you're only looking at 1 or 2 MP maybe, with
poor quality plastic/glass if you're lucky, on a cheapie CCD. Maybe some
good models exist, but I haven't seen them!

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Jer

elliot wrote:

> Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
> w/binoculars?
>
> & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
>
> Elliot in NJ.

I'm unaware of any camera that doubles as binoculars. There are
binoculars that have a digital image capture feature, Meade is one brand
that comes to mind.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

nospam

In article <cjc45m$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> elliot wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
> > w/binoculars?
> >
> > & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
> >
> > Elliot in NJ.

> I'm unaware of any camera that doubles as binoculars. There are
> binoculars that have a digital image capture feature, Meade is one brand
> that comes to mind.

<http://www.pentaxusa.com/products/ca....cfm?productid
=60011>

The Pentax DigiBino DB100 is the world's first digital camera binocular.

Gadgets

First known brand name maybe!

Plenty of cheapies have been around over a year...
http://www.opticsplanet.net/digital-...inoculars.html
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/DIG3BI_ELEC.htm

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Linda_N

Oh you're talking about the built in cam/binocular units. Yip they are a
waste of time. There is a Meade 2.something megapixel that would be fine for
emailing pictures, but nothing out there can produce a picture worth
printing.

The Brunton Macroscope can be attached to some digital cameras. It gives a
large range, but can also focus down to 18 inches to use in close up shots.
It has good low light performance, and a tripod mount hole. For $149 it is a
really cheap lens that gives good close up and zoom performance.

Linda

"Jan Nademlejnsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Personally, I think it is a waste of money. The pictures could be only
> taken when binocular is absolutely steady, which is impossible with hand
> held and without some kind of remote control binoculars. I received one as
> a Christmas gift, but I returned it to the store. No matter what I tried,
> even under very good conditions, the pictures were always lousy.
>
> Jan
>

> "Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1o06d.2813$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "elliot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
>>> w/binoculars?
>>>
>>> & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
>>>
>>> Elliot in NJ.
>>>

>> It depends on the camera you're using. The largest problem you'll have
>> using binoculars (actually go for a monocular) is shake. There are a
>> number of stabilized binoculars including Canon, but they're costly.
>> Spotting scopes work like magic but again for 'high quality', image
>> stabilized, monoculars you're looking at 800+usd, else you'll need to use
>> the tripod, and you'll have to make sure your camara's lens is adaptable
>> to the scope, monocular or 1 binocular eye cup. There are a number of
>> adapters out there already for different model P & S cameras.
>>
>> Brunton puts out a really neat Macroscope if you can get your hands on
>> one (that model is almost always sold out the same day they get a new
>> order in). That monoscope has excellent low light performance and works
>> perfectly with a lot of P&S cameras for both macro and telephoto shots.
>> Very nice for $149usd.
>>
>> Linda

David Sommers

I had the Meade 2MP unit and sold it off. It was a poor camera. It did work
better with their new firmware, but was still a poor camera. Without an
image stabilizer, most of the shots are not quite what you want. It's nearly
impossible to hold it still. At least the newer firmware made an effort to
reduce the image distortion from the motion induced smearing. And, it just
wasn't a good camera. The images lacked good color and contrast.

While it's more money, what is a good camera is the Canon S1 IS with 10X
optical zoom and true optical image stabilizer. It also has usable 3.2X
digital zoom. And with a Canon 1.6X teleconvertor, that's like 50X of usable
magnification.

Bye.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...