Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re Nikon Standard Lens Question

Re Nikon Standard Lens Question

Graham Archer

Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
are a new realm to me.
If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
equivalent to a
80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?
Thanks

sid derra

"Graham Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cj8cv3$r64$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
> are a new realm to me.
> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
> equivalent to a
> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?
> Thanks

since the crop factor is 1,5 - afaik - it should be 50 * 1,5 = 75mm

rock on.

Bruce Murphy

"Graham Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
> are a new realm to me.
> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
> equivalent to a
> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of field.

Jeremy Nixon

Graham Archer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
> equivalent to a 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

75mm, actually. A 35mm lens becomes your "normal" lens.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Larry Miller

"Bruce Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Graham Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
>> are a new realm to me.
>> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
>> equivalent to a
>> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

> Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of
> field.

Or in terms of image magnification.

Bhup

the 50mm still will be a 50mm but your angle of view( due to the size of
the sensor being smaller that a full frame 35mm film by a factor of 1.5 is
the norm) will be equivalent to 75mm on a 35mm Film system

The Focal length of a lens never changes !!

D70 standard lens is 35mm
35mm film SLR standard lens is 50mm
Bronica 645 standard lens is 75mm
Hasslblad 6x6 standard lens is 80mm
one thing they have in common is the angle of view is the same to cover the
sensor and film.
--
All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2003
"Jeremy Nixon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Graham Archer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
> > equivalent to a 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

> 75mm, actually. A 35mm lens becomes your "normal" lens.
>
> --
> Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

Bruce Murphy

"Larry Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Bruce Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Graham Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
> >> are a new realm to me.
> >> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
> >> equivalent to a
> >> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

> > Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of
> > field.

> Or in terms of image magnification.

Well, the image magnification is a lot like pixel size. It really
depends on where you measure it. A 1:1 macro shot can be blown up as
large as you want