Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop CS vs. Canon File Viewer Util

Photoshop CS vs. Canon File Viewer Util

andre

I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
much better.
I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
results?

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Eric Gill

andre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:HLI5d.3470$nj.1977
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
> while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
> much better.
> I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
> results?

Saturation slider -> increase.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <HLI5d.3470$(E-Mail Removed)>, andre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
> I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
> For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
> the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
> The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
> while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
> much better.
> I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
> results?

You'll probably have to mess with the Shadow level and maybe exposure.
What you're seeing is the electronic negative. The Canon software is
crap.

Hunt

In article <HLI5d.3470$(E-Mail Removed)>, andre.

>I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
>I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
>For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
>the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
>The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
>while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
>much better.
>I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
>results?
>
>Andre

Andre,

The best A/B test that you could run, would be to open the same image, and
match the processing done by the two programs. Check out the defaults of each,
then match their settings, before you review the images. I don't know the
Canon CRW program, but suspect that by default there is different processing.
Then, you can make a direct comparison.

Hunt

Jer

Hunt wrote:

> In article <HLI5d.3470$(E-Mail Removed)>, andre.
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
>>I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
>>For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
>>the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
>>The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
>>while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
>>much better.
>>I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
>>results?
>>
>>Andre

> Andre,
>
> The best A/B test that you could run, would be to open the same image, and
> match the processing done by the two programs. Check out the defaults of each,
> then match their settings, before you review the images. I don't know the
> Canon CRW program, but suspect that by default there is different processing.
> Then, you can make a direct comparison.
>
> Hunt

Since each program he's using is installed on two different computers,
wouldn't each program be using two different screens? maybe only one of
the screens is even close to true? If so, I'd think a proper A/B test
would have to include being run on the same computer and screen.

just a thought

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

andre

Jer wrote:
> Hunt wrote:
>
>> In article <HLI5d.3470$(E-Mail Removed)>, andre.
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>> I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends
>>> computer. I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
>>> For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
>>> the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
>>> The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very
>>> saturated, while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich
>>> and generally much better.
>>> I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
>>> results?
>>>
>>> Andre

>> Andre,
>>
>> The best A/B test that you could run, would be to open the same image,
>> and match the processing done by the two programs. Check out the
>> defaults of each, then match their settings, before you review the
>> images. I don't know the Canon CRW program, but suspect that by
>> default there is different processing. Then, you can make a direct
>> comparison.
>>
>> Hunt
>>

> Since each program he's using is installed on two different computers,
> wouldn't each program be using two different screens? maybe only one of
> the screens is even close to true? If so, I'd think a proper A/B test
> would have to include being run on the same computer and screen.
>
> just a thought

Thanks for the advice. I have installed the canon software on my friends
computer as well. The canon software is much closer to the embedded jpeg
though, so I wouldn't dismiss it as being crap as someone posted
earlier. I would much rather see photoshop produce similar results.
Anways, thanks for all your answers.

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

sid derra

"andre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dSM5d.3550$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Jer wrote:
> > Hunt wrote:
> >
> >> In article <HLI5d.3470$(E-Mail Removed)>, andre.
> >> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Andre,
> >>
> >> The best A/B test that you could run, would be to open the same image,
> >> and match the processing done by the two programs. Check out the
> >> defaults of each, then match their settings, before you review the
> >> images. I don't know the Canon CRW program, but suspect that by
> >> default there is different processing. Then, you can make a direct
> >> comparison.
> >>
> >> Hunt
> >>

> > Since each program he's using is installed on two different computers,
> > wouldn't each program be using two different screens? maybe only one of
> > the screens is even close to true? If so, I'd think a proper A/B test
> > would have to include being run on the same computer and screen.
> >
> > just a thought
> >

> Thanks for the advice. I have installed the canon software on my friends
> computer as well. The canon software is much closer to the embedded jpeg
> though, so I wouldn't dismiss it as being crap as someone posted
> earlier. I would much rather see photoshop produce similar results.
> Anways, thanks for all your answers.
>
> Andre

i think the "crap" remark was because of the suspicion that the canon softwa
re doesn;t show you the TRUE unprocessed file. i dont know IF that is true,
but i think thats what he meant. could it be that some weird color profile
is set on your friends PS CS?

rock on. sid

stanb

it could well be that the canon software is showing the image with the
camera settings applied: the PS/CS is ignoring these - I have seen a
similiar effect with C1LE - for a second or so, when opening a new folder of
RAW files, the thumbnails seem quite bright /saturated, then change to a
flatter image. I'm not sure if CS has the ability to apply the sam
esettings to a group of files, but you certainly can apply most settings to
a batch in C1...and far more easily than with teh canon software

"sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "andre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dSM5d.3550$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Jer wrote:

with

image,

> > > Since each program he's using is installed on two different computers,
> > > wouldn't each program be using two different screens? maybe only one

of
> > > the screens is even close to true? If so, I'd think a proper A/B test
> > > would have to include being run on the same computer and screen.
> > >
> > > just a thought
> > >

> > Thanks for the advice. I have installed the canon software on my friends
> > computer as well. The canon software is much closer to the embedded jpeg
> > though, so I wouldn't dismiss it as being crap as someone posted
> > earlier. I would much rather see photoshop produce similar results.
> > Anways, thanks for all your answers.
> >
> > Andre

> i think the "crap" remark was because of the suspicion that the canon

softwa
> re doesn;t show you the TRUE unprocessed file. i dont know IF that is

true,
> but i think thats what he meant. could it be that some weird color profile
> is set on your friends PS CS?
>
> rock on. sid

Jeremy Nixon

andre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
> I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
> For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
> the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
> The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
> while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
> much better.

This is because of different default settings for the conversion. The
camera settings are saved with the file and used by the Canon software;
Photoshop ignores them and starts with some conservative defaults. You
can set the Adobe Camera Raw defaults to your liking and save them so
newly-opened images will start out with your chosen settings.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

andre

stanb wrote:
> it could well be that the canon software is showing the image with the
> camera settings applied: the PS/CS is ignoring these - I have seen a
> similiar effect with C1LE - for a second or so, when opening a new folder of
> RAW files, the thumbnails seem quite bright /saturated, then change to a
> flatter image. I'm not sure if CS has the ability to apply the sam
> esettings to a group of files, but you certainly can apply most settings to
> a batch in C1...and far more easily than with teh canon software

That makes sense. So if I can duplicate the camera settings in PS i
should get the same results. I wish PS would have taken the settings
into consideration.

Andre

--
http://www.aguntherphotography.com