Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slide scanning questions

Slide scanning questions

Michael A. Covington

I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need to
scan.

I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute per
slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed, and
saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.

I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not been
satisfied with the quality.

My questions:

(1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays (in
the same positions)?

(2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan III in
quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.

BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are sufficient.
I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic dust and spot
removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes (E-4) would be very
welcome.

Many thanks!

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Michael Weinstein

On 2004-09-26 16:32:29 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I
> need to scan.
>
> I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1
> minute per slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned,
> processed, and saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour
> project.
>
> I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not
> been satisfied with the quality.
>
> My questions:
>
> (1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
> accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays
> (in the same positions)?
>
> (2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan
> III in quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.
>
> BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are
> sufficient. I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic
> dust and spot removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes
> (E-4) would be very welcome.
>
> Many thanks!

If you are satisfied with the scan quality, it seems to me that 6 hours
is not a lot to invest.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."

Frank ess

Michael A. Covington wrote:
> I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I
> need to scan.
>
> I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1
> minute per slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned,
> processed, and saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour
> project.
>
> I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have
> not been satisfied with the quality.
>
> My questions:
>
> (1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
> accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same
> trays (in the same positions)?
>
> (2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan
> III in quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.
>
> BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are
> sufficient. I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic
> dust and spot removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes
> (E-4) would be very welcome.

My Epson 4870 (flatbed )will do four or five slides at a time, comes
with Digital Ice and plenty of compensating tools. I've no experience at
using it for those purposes, but they are there, and must be of some use
in lowering your time investment.

--
Frank ess

Mark M

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4157295d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need

> scan.
>
> I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute

per
> slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed, and
> saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.
>
> I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not

been
> satisfied with the quality.
>
> My questions:
>
> (1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
> accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays

(in
> the same positions)?

So you'd rather spend those same 6 hours...

Finding a service...
Driving to that service...
Paying your money for questionable quality results at that service...
Waiting...
Driving back to pick them up...
-And whatever other messing around you'll inevitably do...

Seems to me 6 hours isn't all too bad after all!

Michael A. Covington

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Seems to me 6 hours isn't all too bad after all!

That's about what I've concluded, because on each slide, I can do about 1
minute of scanning and 1 minute of image processing (my way), and save it
with a suitable name. That works out to 2 minutes per slide (or more)... a
fairly lengthy project... but high quality.

Mark M

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>

> > Seems to me 6 hours isn't all too bad after all!
> >

> That's about what I've concluded, because on each slide, I can do about 1
> minute of scanning and 1 minute of image processing (my way), and save it
> with a suitable name. That works out to 2 minutes per slide (or more)...

> fairly lengthy project... but high quality.

Slide scanning is indeed a pain in the rear, but it's the only way to
maintain control of film images, as you say. I have a Nikon scanner and
have gotten a lot of great use out it, but there's no denying that it's a
pain...

Larz F. Kremer

Can anyone tell me if the Coolscan III would work with a Dell Inspiron
Laptop?
Thanks!

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4157295d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a substantial number (240) of slides from 30 years ago that I need
>to scan.
>
> I have a Coolscan III, which produces beautiful scans but takes 1 minute
> per slide. I figure I can average 40 slides per hour scanned, processed,
> and saved with meaningful names. That means it's a 6-hour project.
>
> I also have the slide copying adapter for my Coolpix 990, but have not
> been satisfied with the quality.
>
> My questions:
>
> (1) Can someone recommend a commercial slide scanning service that can
> accept slides in Carousel trays and return them to me in the same trays
> (in the same positions)?
>
> (2) Are newer slide scanners faster? Something equal to the Coolscan III
> in quality but 3 times faster would be very welcome.
>
> BTW, these are relatively casual snapshots and 900 dpi scans are
> sufficient. I'm more concerned about exposure metering and automatic dust
> and spot removal. Automatic compensation for fading cyan dyes (E-4) would
> be very welcome.
>
> Many thanks!
>

> --
> Clear skies,
>
> Michael A. Covington
> Author, Astrophotography for the Amateur
> www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

bmoag

If you are only scanning at 900 dpi and you think that is "high quality" you
are wasting your 6 hours.

Michael A. Covington

"Larz F. Kremer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41573e35$0$4027$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me if the Coolscan III would work with a Dell Inspiron
> Laptop?
> Thanks!

It requires a SCSI interface. Do they make PCMCIA SCSI cards? I think so.

Mark M

"Michael A. Covington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Larz F. Kremer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41573e35$0$4027$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone tell me if the Coolscan III would work with a Dell Inspiron
> > Laptop?
> > Thanks!

> It requires a SCSI interface. Do they make PCMCIA SCSI cards? I think

so.

Yes.