Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Rebel

Canon Rebel

Susan Phillips

I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade. Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now. Thanks to anyone who can help.

--
Susan Phillips

"God Bless America"

Drifter

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:50:39 -0400, "Susan Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade.
>Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now.
>Thanks to anyone who can help.

Yes it seems to be a fairly decent camera. However I would suggest
you read the following article so you may have some idea what you are
getting into.

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_Be_A_Bozo.html

Have fun

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

ed

"Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/Pontification/ba_Don't_Be_A_Bozo/a_Don't_
Be_A_Bozo.html

> Have fun

Great link, and the information applies to all digicams (except sigmas!)

John Wright

"Susan Phillips" wrote
I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade. Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now. Thanks to anyone who can help.

--
Susan Phillips

"God Bless America"
The information you have provided is hardly adequate for anyone to provide you good advice. You have to start with what you needs are. For example ...

Do you need use of interchangeable lenses, have you already got any? Is small size/weight and portability important to you?

Will you do a lot of low-light photos? Do you need to freeze very fast action? Are you experienced in using a wide range (1/4000 sec to 30 sec) of exposure? Do you have use for ISOs up to 1600? Do you need [and can you use] aperture priority, shutter priority, depth of field etc?

Is it for taking professional quality photos (where you wish to make an income from your photo work), or simply pleasure/family/holiday/friends photos?

Even if you have the budget to pay Rebel's price tag, you should verify that you can use its features. Otherwise you may be wasting money.

Regards - JW

GT40

You would be better off with the 10D or 20D

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:09:16 -0400, Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:50:39 -0400, "Susan Phillips"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want to upgrade.
>>Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of publicity right now.
>>Thanks to anyone who can help.

>Yes it seems to be a fairly decent camera.
>
>Have fun
>

>Drifter
>"I've been here, I've been there..."

Bill Crocker

Wouldn't we all!

Bill Crocker
Canon G6

"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would be better off with the 10D or 20D
>
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:09:16 -0400, Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:50:39 -0400, "Susan Phillips"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and
>>>want to upgrade.
>>>Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot of
>>>publicity right now.
>>>Thanks to anyone who can help.

>>Yes it seems to be a fairly decent camera.
>>
>>Have fun
>>

>>Drifter
>>"I've been here, I've been there..."

GT40

I'd rather have a 1D Mark II or 1Ds Mark II

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:44:54 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wouldn't we all!
>
>Bill Crocker
>Canon G6
>

>"GT40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> You would be better off with the 10D or 20D
>>
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:09:16 -0400, Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Yes it seems to be a fairly decent camera.
>>>
>>>Have fun
>>>

>>>Drifter
>>>"I've been here, I've been there..."

Larry R Harrison Jr

The Digital Rebel is "Highly Recommended" by a website called
http://www.dpreview.com, a very good website.

However, if you do really need a Digital SLR, do not also overlook the Nikon
D70, which is flat-out outstanding and not THAT much more. Also Pentax has
their *ist D, although that's quite a bit higher; they now have the *ist DS,
which is about the same price as the Digital Rebel.

As someone else stated, make sure you do need that much camera. You may well
be happier with something less pricey--yet still wonderful--like a Nikon
Coolpix 5700, Sony DSC-F717, or Canon Powershot G3 (the latter two are
discontinued but you may can still find them). Also, the Nikon Coolpix
8700--basically the same as the 5700 but with 8 megapixels instead of 8--has
come down in price somewhat, so don't ignore that possibility.

I mean, your comments "fairly new, have cheap camera, want to upgrade"
sounds like someone who maybe doesn't need something in the league of a
Digital Rebel or even the other models I mentioned; heck, a Canon Powershot
A95 or Nikon Coolpix 5200 (say) might be more up your alley. Depending on
what you have, going from what you have now to a D-SLR may be like going
from a 1985 Toyota Corolla to a 2005 Lexus IS400--when a (say) good used
2003 Toyota Camry or 2001 Toyota Corolla would still be a huge upgrade--hope
that analogy makes sense.

LRH

"Susan Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I am fairly new to digital photography. I have a very cheap camera and want
to upgrade. Is the Canon Rebel a good camera? It seems to be getting a lot
of publicity right now. Thanks to anyone who can help.

--
Susan Phillips

"God Bless America"

macro