Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ACDSee 7--first impressions...

ACDSee 7--first impressions...

Mark M

OK.
This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
screwed up).

It is ROCK SOLID this time.

Major improvements.

Perhaps best:
Images look as close to identical in ACDSee as they do in Photoshop.
-A real bummer in the past, because you couldn't use ACDSee to judge how
prints would look from PS.

Faster thumbnail display, as well as FAR more control over size and quality
of thumbnails.

MUCH cleaner interface.

More logical and useful "image basket..."
-Might actually use it now.

Far more complete EXIF and file info handling.

Keyboard short-cuts are more complete.

VERY fast RAW viewing (though FULL res RAW viewing isn't super fast, it's
very decent). You can now quickly browse RAW files without needing to to
quick jpeg conversions for browsing/selection.
***This means I will stop setting my camera to RAW+JPEG...which means I'll
get more RAW shots per card (I've been shooting RAW with jpeg so that I can
quickly view files and select which RAWs to tinker with fully).

Nice back-up options which make synchronizing lots of gigs of files much
more simple.

Everything is faster.

Automatic flash and .pdf slide-show creation with transitions.

GLARING OMMISSION:
Where the **HECK** is the real HELP file??
-All that is available from the help menu is a download of a pdf manual!!
What the heck?????

Anyway...
It looks great from this VERY picky user's view.
But Let's get that useable help file, for crying out loud.

-Mark

PeteZ

Mark

thanks for that . . . . I'm a long time user of the product as well BUT ...

I brought into Ver 4 or so and actually down-graded to an earlier version as
it was these earlier versions that had the features and UI that I liked
most.

The version looks very promising.

cheers,

- peteZ

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> OK.
> This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
> irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
>
> I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
> screwed up).
>
> It is ROCK SOLID this time.
>
> Major improvements.
>
> Perhaps best:
> Images look as close to identical in ACDSee as they do in Photoshop.
> -A real bummer in the past, because you couldn't use ACDSee to judge how
> prints would look from PS.
>
> Faster thumbnail display, as well as FAR more control over size and
> quality
> of thumbnails.
>
> MUCH cleaner interface.
>
> More logical and useful "image basket..."
> -Might actually use it now.
>
> Far more complete EXIF and file info handling.
>
> Keyboard short-cuts are more complete.
>
> VERY fast RAW viewing (though FULL res RAW viewing isn't super fast, it's
> very decent). You can now quickly browse RAW files without needing to to
> quick jpeg conversions for browsing/selection.
> ***This means I will stop setting my camera to RAW+JPEG...which means I'll
> get more RAW shots per card (I've been shooting RAW with jpeg so that I
> can
> quickly view files and select which RAWs to tinker with fully).
>
> Nice back-up options which make synchronizing lots of gigs of files much
> more simple.
>
> Everything is faster.
>
> Automatic flash and .pdf slide-show creation with transitions.
>
> GLARING OMMISSION:
> Where the **HECK** is the real HELP file??
> -All that is available from the help menu is a download of a pdf manual!!
> What the heck?????
>
> Anyway...
> It looks great from this VERY picky user's view.
> But Let's get that useable help file, for crying out loud.
>
> -Mark

Harry Krause

Mark M wrote:
> OK.
> This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
> irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
>
> I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
> screwed up).
>
> It is ROCK SOLID this time.

Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?

Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.

Thanks!

Mark M

"Harry Krause" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark M wrote:
> > OK.
> > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
> > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
> >
> > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
> > screwed up).
> >
> > It is ROCK SOLID this time.

> Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?
>
> Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
> version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.
>
> Thanks!

It handles Nikon's files.
The new version isn't available to everyone yet.

Harry Krause

Mark M wrote:
> "Harry Krause" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mark M wrote:
>> > OK.
>> > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
>> > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
>> >
>> > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
>> > screwed up).
>> >
>> > It is ROCK SOLID this time.

>> Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?
>>
>> Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
>> version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.
>>
>> Thanks!

> It handles Nikon's files.
> The new version isn't available to everyone yet.

Thanks. Only last week I begged ACDcee to let me know whether the new
version would support NEF. I have been a paying user of the software for
years. I was told that such info was TOP SECRET and I couldn't even get
a hint.

So...

I bought Photoshop CS...and wouldn't now use ACDcee on a bet.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?

Patrick Peccatte

Does it manage IPTC fields ?
--
Patrick Peccatte
www.kalimages.com

Mark M wrote:
> OK.
> This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
> irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely
> buggy.
>
> I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
> screwed up).
>
> It is ROCK SOLID this time.
>
> Major improvements.
>
> Perhaps best:
> Images look as close to identical in ACDSee as they do in Photoshop.
> -A real bummer in the past, because you couldn't use ACDSee to judge
> how prints would look from PS.
>
> Faster thumbnail display, as well as FAR more control over size and
> quality of thumbnails.
>
> MUCH cleaner interface.
>
> More logical and useful "image basket..."
> -Might actually use it now.
>
> Far more complete EXIF and file info handling.
>
> Keyboard short-cuts are more complete.
>
> VERY fast RAW viewing (though FULL res RAW viewing isn't super fast,
> it's very decent). You can now quickly browse RAW files without
> needing to to quick jpeg conversions for browsing/selection.
> ***This means I will stop setting my camera to RAW+JPEG...which means
> I'll get more RAW shots per card (I've been shooting RAW with jpeg so
> that I can quickly view files and select which RAWs to tinker with
> fully).
>
> Nice back-up options which make synchronizing lots of gigs of files
> much more simple.
>
> Everything is faster.
>
> Automatic flash and .pdf slide-show creation with transitions.
>
> GLARING OMMISSION:
> Where the **HECK** is the real HELP file??
> -All that is available from the help menu is a download of a pdf
> manual!! What the heck?????
>
> Anyway...
> It looks great from this VERY picky user's view.
> But Let's get that useable help file, for crying out loud.
>
> -Mark

DonB

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, "Mark M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK.
>This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
>irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

How much did they charge you to upgrade from version6?
DonB

Hap Shaughnessy

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:46 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (DonB) wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, "Mark M"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>OK.
>>This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
>>irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

>How much did they charge you to upgrade from version6?
>DonB

It will be the same price for an upgrade from all previous versions.
No software vendor gives bigger discounts if you have the last
version.

Anyhow, I'll not be paying for any upgrade. 12 days with no reply. Not
impressed. Hope they do the right thing and give me a refund or
upgrade me for free.

---clip---

Subject: ACDSee 6 online support submission

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Support/

Submitted Sept 13/04 02:57 AM

---

I bought an ACDSee upgrade July 10/04 to use with my first digital
camera that wasn't purchased until Aug 12/04. I had no idea of any
problems until I archived my photos to CD-R a few days ago.

That CD contains 367 photos, 648.2Mbs, on the root directory - no
folders. It takes 2 minutes 20 seconds to build a database before
being able to view any photos and then it is so painfully slow to
search the collection that ACDSee 6.03 is useless for me.

It also takes 1 minute 30 seconds before a slide show begins.

Whereas, ACDSee 3.11 CD access to view archived photos and to run a
Slide Show has no wait times.

I no longer use ACDSee 6.03 and had to re-install 3.11 as my working
copy.

I have read that there will be no updates or fixes for ACDSee 6x.

I'm very disapppointed that ACDSee 6 did not meet my expectations and
that I have passed the 30 day full refund time limit through no fault
of my own.

What do you suggest?

TIA,

x my name here x

PS: The following quotes confirm that ACDSee 6x will never work
properly for me.

::

Question: ACDSee 6.0 seems to be slow. Is there anything I can do to
improve performance?

Answer: Performance is a known issue that should be addressed in the
next product service release.

::

http://forums.acdsystems.com/

6.0.3 Database NOT Ready for Prime Time!

ACD Systems closed this highly popular forum message thread on July
21, 2004 after it had been read over 4000 times. If you are interested
in using the database functions in ACDSEE vs. 6.0.3 this is a must
read message thread!

ACD Systems says they are taking these comments seriously as they work
on version 7. Until then, however, beware of problems in the current
product. There are apparently no plans to fix these problems in
version 6. You will have to purchase the upgrade to version 7 to
"hopefully" fix these significant issues.

Here is a link to the message thread.

http://forums.acdsystems.com/YaBB.cg...702895;start=0

djmoll

::

Mark Cosgrove
Administrator

Hello:

The ACDSee Database issue identified by djmoll will be addressed in
ACDSee 7.0.

I'm sorry to say, but at this time we do not have a workaround or
plans to release another update to address this issue.

We will fix this in ACDSee 7.0.

Mark M

"Patrick Peccatte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:415456d3$0$722$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does it manage IPTC fields ?

I can't answer that because I don't even know what that is.

-Unless it stands for something that just isn't coming to mind...
Educate me, and I'll try to answer.

> --
> Patrick Peccatte
> www.kalimages.com
>
> Mark M wrote:
> > OK.
> > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
> > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely
> > buggy.
> >
> > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
> > screwed up).
> >
> > It is ROCK SOLID this time.
> >
> > Major improvements.
> >
> > Perhaps best:
> > Images look as close to identical in ACDSee as they do in Photoshop.
> > -A real bummer in the past, because you couldn't use ACDSee to judge
> > how prints would look from PS.
> >
> > Faster thumbnail display, as well as FAR more control over size and
> > quality of thumbnails.
> >
> > MUCH cleaner interface.
> >
> > More logical and useful "image basket..."
> > -Might actually use it now.
> >
> > Far more complete EXIF and file info handling.
> >
> > Keyboard short-cuts are more complete.
> >
> > VERY fast RAW viewing (though FULL res RAW viewing isn't super fast,
> > it's very decent). You can now quickly browse RAW files without
> > needing to to quick jpeg conversions for browsing/selection.
> > ***This means I will stop setting my camera to RAW+JPEG...which means
> > I'll get more RAW shots per card (I've been shooting RAW with jpeg so
> > that I can quickly view files and select which RAWs to tinker with
> > fully).
> >
> > Nice back-up options which make synchronizing lots of gigs of files
> > much more simple.
> >
> > Everything is faster.
> >
> > Automatic flash and .pdf slide-show creation with transitions.
> >
> > GLARING OMMISSION:
> > Where the **HECK** is the real HELP file??
> > -All that is available from the help menu is a download of a pdf
> > manual!! What the heck?????
> >
> > Anyway...
> > It looks great from this VERY picky user's view.
> > But Let's get that useable help file, for crying out loud.
> >
> > -Mark

Justín Käse

In Message-ID:<Sh45d.334873$Oi.113185@fed1read04> posted on Fri, 24 Sep
2004 18:59:14 -0700, Mark M wrote:

> Does it manage IPTC fields ?
>
>I can't answer that because I don't even know what that is.
>
>-Unless it stands for something that just isn't coming to mind...
>Educate me, and I'll try to answer.

IPTC????
http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/

....or http://1096080640.v3.net

acdsee help doS Computer Support 5 06-26-2005 10:23 PM
Problem with ACDSee 7. Edited pic jumps to the end of the thumbnails in ACDSee after exiting Photoshop.. Madison Lapierre Digital Photography 1 03-07-2005 09:08 PM
ACDSee don guzman Computer Support 1 11-11-2004 10:53 AM
Lost ACDSee PageUp & PageDown Martin ©¿©¬ @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com Computer Support 2 08-20-2004 01:33 PM
ACDSee doesn't support Corel! JunkMonkey Digital Photography 2 07-15-2003 12:19 AM

Advertisments