Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > iPhoto question

iPhoto question

clw

I am considering a new iMac, and I have many "files" of JPEG digital
photos.

Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's? Can iPhoto be used as the origin
of picts to combine into a DVD slide show using Mac's built in DVD
burner and burning application? Will the new Toast 6.0 burn DVD's on
the iMac internal burner?

John McWilliams

clw wrote:

> I am considering a new iMac, and I have many "files" of JPEG digital
> photos.
>
> Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's? Can iPhoto be used as the origin
> of picts to combine into a DVD slide show using Mac's built in DVD
> burner and burning application? Will the new Toast 6.0 burn DVD's on
> the iMac internal burner?

Yes on all but the last, and that's "I dunno", but almost certainly. For
more questions, the NGroup comp.sys.mac.systems is the place to go.

--
john mcwilliams

stan@temple.edu

clw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am considering a new iMac, and I have many "files" of JPEG digital
> photos.

> Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's? Can iPhoto be used as the origin
> of picts to combine into a DVD slide show using Mac's built in DVD
> burner and burning application? Will the new Toast 6.0 burn DVD's on
> the iMac internal burner?

Yes, to all your questions. You may also not need Toast because all
Macs come with software to burn DVDs right out of the box.

Wouter Wessels

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
clw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am considering a new iMac, and I have many "files" of JPEG digital
> photos.
>
> Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's?

Yes, just drag the files onto the iPhoto window, or press some Import
button will do the trick.

> Can iPhoto be used as the origin of picts to combine into a DVD
> slide show using Mac's built in DVDburner and burning application?

From iPhoto you can export to anywhere (just drag the photo's to a place
on your hard drive, or a burnable CD/DVD).

From iPhoto you can directly burn a CD or DVD, by pressing the 'burn'
button.

But I have not found a way to create a Slide show on CD/DVD. Sure, you
can export the files onto a CD/DVD, and perform the slide show on any
other computer using iPhoto or any other tool (on Mac or Windows), but I
would like a stand alone slide show ... never happened ;-(

> Will the new Toast 6.0 burn DVD's on the iMac internal burner?

Who needs Toast when Mac OS X does almost all the burning you need? The
only thing Mac OS X does not do is 'multi session CD' burning ... So for
that you'd need Toast or some other app ...

PS:
Mac OS X can do multi session, but it requires some extra work:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21010063520637
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...20718080952616
and many more on that same website ...

--

Wouter F. Wessels
Gouda, the Netherlands

Ray Fischer

clw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am considering a new iMac, and I have many "files" of JPEG digital
>photos.
>
>Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's? Can iPhoto be used as the origin
>of picts to combine into a DVD slide show using Mac's built in DVD
>burner and burning application? Will the new Toast 6.0 burn DVD's on
>the iMac internal burner?

Yes, Toast works fine with the internal burner and is generally faster
and more flexible than Apple's software.

--
Ray Fischer

Conrad Weiler

Hi Ray,

<< Can iPhoto import those older JPEG's? >>

Yes.

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon