Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > college

college

johz

i just finished a course in college where practically all we did was
play around with digital cameras.

Des Perado

"johz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> i just finished a course in college where practically all we did was
> play around with digital cameras.

Of course you did.

Tony Morgan

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, johz
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>i just finished a course in college where practically all we did was
>play around with digital cameras.

Perhaps you should have considered which college you attended more
carefully.

Though I must admit that many (most?) college courses are conducted by
lecturers who have absolutely no practical working experience in the
field in which they teach.

Indeed, most teachers and lecturers at all academic levels have never
left school. Their "career path" is: primary school --> secondary school
--> college or university --> teaching.

How on earth any student can expect education/training for anything
(other than teaching) beats me

As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
teach".
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

Charlie Self

Tony Morgan writes:

>Indeed, most teachers and lecturers at all academic levels have never
>left school. Their "career path" is: primary school --> secondary school
>--> college or university --> teaching.
>
>How on earth any student can expect education/training for anything
>(other than teaching) beats me
>
>As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
>teach".

And those who can't even get cliches correct post on the Internet.

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Des Perado

"Tony Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
> teach".

.... and those that can't teach, teach geography. Or so I heard.

Tony Morgan

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Des Perado <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes

>"Tony Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
>> teach".

>... and those that can't teach, teach geography.

Or Sociology.... but please - don't let me go down that road

--
Tony Morgan

Charlie Self

Tony Morgan responds:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Des Perado <(E-Mail Removed)>
>writes
>>
>>"Tony Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
>>> teach".

>>... and those that can't teach, teach geography.

>Or Sociology.... but please - don't let me go down that road

You mean you don't like the science of making the obvious obscure?

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Paul W. Ross

I taught Computer Science for 20 years AFTER 7 years in industrial
research (Sarnoff Labs), and 6 years of running a college computer
center. Sorry, I don't buy your statement..

Tony Morgan

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, Paul W.
Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I taught Computer Science for 20 years AFTER 7 years in industrial
>research (Sarnoff Labs), and 6 years of running a college computer
>center. Sorry, I don't buy your statement..

Sorry, but you are very much the exception. And if you HAD run a college
computer center I would have thought that you would well know that what
I suggest is very true..

And, I might add, if you really HAD spent 7 years in industrial
research, I would have thought that you would be well aware of the
failure of colleges and uni's to impart sufficient knowledge to allow
their graduates to perform (without a substantial amount of additional
training). But then, of course, most lecturers are divorced from the
reality of the real world.

Only six years ago, 80% of unis taught Fortran and Cobol as their
languages. Now that is as far from reality as you can get.

I spent three-and-a-half years in an engineered systems division of
Rockwell Automation (formerly Allen-Bradley), where graduates (even
those with Firsts) had to be trained for two years as "Graduate
Engineers" before they could safely be let loose on anything.

Only last year, my grandson-in-law left uni with a First, and after
three months looking for a job, had to take a gopher job because
employers prefer experience. Six months of that and he went back to Uni
to get a PhD so that he could join the "system" and become a member of
academia.

Things haven't always been that way, which is perhaps you have now lost
the plot after being out of the loop for 20 years

Time was when to get membership of the IEE (that was before the days of
the IEEE), those in academia had to do a year in industry - and those in
industry had to do a year teaching.

I don't blame the students, I don't even blame the lecturers. The
problem is the system, where syllabus is set by academics and
examination/assessment is conducted by academics (often with a long time
out of the loop) - and I am surprised that you don't recognise that.

Anyway, this is running OT, though very relevant to the OP's post which
seems to support my view.

--
Tony Morgan

kashe@sonic.net

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:18:12 +0100, Tony Morgan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, johz
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>i just finished a course in college where practically all we did was
>>play around with digital cameras.

>Perhaps you should have considered which college you attended more
>carefully.
>
>Though I must admit that many (most?) college courses are conducted by
>lecturers who have absolutely no practical working experience in the
>field in which they teach.
>
>Indeed, most teachers and lecturers at all academic levels have never
>left school. Their "career path" is: primary school --> secondary school
>--> college or university --> teaching.
>
>How on earth any student can expect education/training for anything
>(other than teaching) beats me
>
>As the saying goes "There's those that can, do, and those that can't,
>teach".

That's used frequently by those who can't distinguish between
the skills needed for teaching and doing. Many doers also couldn't
pass their skills along through teaching if their lives depended on
it.

Since you said, "There's those ....", I hope you never intend
to teach English to anyone.