Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Purchase Nikon D70 or wait for Fujifilm's Finepix S3 Pro?

Purchase Nikon D70 or wait for Fujifilm's Finepix S3 Pro?

Cary D.

I have been planning on purchasing Nikon's D70 camera for several months
now. I already have quite a few F-mount Nikon lenses that I have been using
with my Nikon 35mm SLR. Now, as I have gotten ready to take the plunge,
I've learned that Fujifilm is soon to launch the Finepix S3 Pro.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative advantage of one over the
other? Also, has anyone heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will
be. I'm anxious to start using a digital SLR, but now I'm not sure if I
should wait for the S3 Pro. I understand it will be launched in October.

Any recommendations?

Cary D.

Sorry for the duplicate message -- I thought the first one had not been
sent.

"Cary D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been planning on purchasing Nikon's D70 camera for several months
> now. I already have quite a few F-mount Nikon lenses that I have been

using
> with my Nikon 35mm SLR. Now, as I have gotten ready to take the plunge,
> I've learned that Fujifilm is soon to launch the Finepix S3 Pro.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative advantage of one over the
> other? Also, has anyone heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will
> be. I'm anxious to start using a digital SLR, but now I'm not sure if I
> should wait for the S3 Pro. I understand it will be launched in October.
>
> Any recommendations?

Gary Eickmeier

Cary D. wrote:
> I have been planning on purchasing Nikon's D70 camera for several months
> now. I already have quite a few F-mount Nikon lenses that I have been using
> with my Nikon 35mm SLR. Now, as I have gotten ready to take the plunge,
> I've learned that Fujifilm is soon to launch the Finepix S3 Pro.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative advantage of one over the
> other? Also, has anyone heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will
> be. I'm anxious to start using a digital SLR, but now I'm not sure if I
> should wait for the S3 Pro. I understand it will be launched in October.

The Fuji is rumored to be around $3000. It will be a true 12mp imager,
and have improved dynamic range. Finally, I believe that Fuji has better
flash exposure control, if this is important to you.

Gary Eickmeier

Howard McCollister

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tAz4d.38733$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> The Fuji is rumored to be around $3000. It will be a true 12mp imager,
> and have improved dynamic range. Finally, I believe that Fuji has better
> flash exposure control, if this is important to you.

Fuji's flash control in the S2 is plain old TTL. The S3 will have Nikon's
old D-TTL technology (only available with Nikon speedlights). Nikon's
current flash technology is i-TTL (standard on D70, D2H and D2X) and it is
significantly better than the D-TTL. Only available with their current
SB-800 and SB-600.

HMc