Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 10D & New Sigma DC Zoom

Canon 10D & New Sigma DC Zoom

Hans Fischl

Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hans Fischl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
> 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
> curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
> new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

The name Sigma says it all.

Phil Wheeler

Go to dpreview and find the Canon SLR Lens forum there.

Much discussion of the 18-125 lens, pro and con.

Phil

Hans Fischl wrote:
> Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
> 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
> curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
> new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

Tony

You are always buying temporary with Sigma.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

news:hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)...

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> In article <hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hans Fischl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
>>18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
>>curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
>>new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

> The name Sigma says it all.

Too knee jerk. I've seen good Sigmas (e.g., 15 mm f/2.8 fisheye) and
bad. And some like the 50-500 mm and 18-125 mm seem rather unique
(can't buy a Canon lens with the same range).

Personally, I do avoid Sigmas -- but do own the above fisheye and find
it to be excellent. Of course, zoom lenses are another story.

Phil

Todd H.

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In article <hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hans Fischl
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
> > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
> > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
> > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

> The name Sigma says it all.

No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.

But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
actual experience.

Sigma has made some fabulous lenses that cost a hell of a lot less
than their Canon counterparts and have optical performance that comes
very close. It's true you may run a compatibility issue down the road
whereby you have no guarantees from either company that Sigma EOS
lenses of today will work with anything more than today's EOS cameras.
It's also true that if you're a pro and make your living off your
photographic work that it's probably worth keeping your life simple
and spending the premium for Canon all the time if you're with the
Canon system. For the weekend warrior or prosumer photographer
though, the choice becomes an economic one trading price for perhaps
some performance.

So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
DC lens?

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

GT40

On 22 Sep 2004 09:42:19 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Todd H.) wrote:

>Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> In article <hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hans Fischl
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new Sigma
>> > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great but I am
>> > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot use the
>> > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great addition.

>> The name Sigma says it all.

>No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.
>
>But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
>name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
>actual experience.

It does, Sigma is probably the worst 3rd party lens company (of the
main ones), Opticaly they are fine, its the connection between camera
and lens that they don't get right. Tokina's are good. Personaly I
had a 3rd party Tamron lens, and the AF was so slow...

Tony

The truth is more complex but anyone can Google it. For a quick refresher
Sigma build quality is less than ideal, the lenses do tend to fall apart
Sigma compatibility is bad. They reverse engineer the mounts in order to
save a few buck on license fees - consequently a Sigma that will work on a
current model might not work on future models. Sigma claims they will
re-chip lenses but they will fudge this too.
A friend sent them a lens that took six months to re-chip and it came
back ready to go on his Elan II but then would not work on my EOS 3 - a
model that was on the market when the lens was sent in for re-chipping.
Sigma would not re-chip it a second time.
My own Sigma lens that was "Too old" to rechip - it was six years old. I
was still using my 13 year old first Canon zoom on our fifth Canon body at
the time so I have a different view of "old" than the slime buckets at
Sigma.
You are trading price for performance AND for permanence. Sigma is always
a bad deal.

--

"Todd H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > In article <hBe4d.12079$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hans Fischl
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Has anyone seen test reviews / user reports / or purchased the new

Sigma
> > > 18-125mm DC lens? From a technical standpoint, the specs read great

but I am
> > > curious on its performance given the low price. Since the 10D cannot

use the
> > > new Canon lenses, this zoom range would theoretically make a great

addition.

> > The name Sigma says it all.

> No, Randall buddy, I'm afraid it doesn't.
>
> But, I can appreciate that it's a very simple thing to say with brand
> name snobbery. However, the truth is always more complex and takes
> actual experience.
>
> Sigma has made some fabulous lenses that cost a hell of a lot less
> than their Canon counterparts and have optical performance that comes
> very close. It's true you may run a compatibility issue down the road
> whereby you have no guarantees from either company that Sigma EOS
> lenses of today will work with anything more than today's EOS cameras.
> It's also true that if you're a pro and make your living off your
> photographic work that it's probably worth keeping your life simple
> and spending the premium for Canon all the time if you're with the
> Canon system. For the weekend warrior or prosumer photographer
> though, the choice becomes an economic one trading price for perhaps
> some performance.
>
> So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
> DC lens?
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/

Phil Wheeler

Todd H. wrote:

> So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
> DC lens?

There is a review (with the 10D) here

http://fiedler.free.fr/review/

Phil

Crownfield

Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Todd H. wrote:
> >
> > So, the question remains "Anyone actually used the new Sigma 18-125mm
> > DC lens?
> >

> There is a review (with the 10D) here
>
> http://fiedler.free.fr/review/

very interesting.

looking at the sigma crops at 125 mm hurts my eyes.