Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fujifilm FinePix S7000 a battery killer?

Fujifilm FinePix S7000 a battery killer?

Steve

Hi

I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). I managed to get around 60 frames out of a
set of batteries, using a mixture of the LCD and EVF and using the flash
about 5 times, and switching the camera off and on every 10 frames.

This seems alot short of the quoted battery life estimates I have seen in
the manual and posted on the internet.

I know of the problem the S7000 had with CF cards, but I expect that I have
one manufactured after the fault was corrected, and the batteries are not
dying overnight, just through usage. I am currently using a 256Mb Viking CF
card.

I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much
better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines.

Is this battery life normal, or do I have a faulty power hungry camera?

Steve.

Conrad Weiler

Hi Steve,

<< I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). >>

<< I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much

better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines. >>

Good move! You'll get much better results with rechargeables. I've been using
an S7000 for several months now and get good results for battery life with my
NiMH set.

Enjoy your new camera and good luck with your pics.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Butch Lacadie

Steve wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've bought the S7000 this week and wondered about experiences with battery
> life. User manual says something like 200 frames from the supplied set of
> batteries (the 'AA' alkalines). I managed to get around 60 frames out of a
> set of batteries, using a mixture of the LCD and EVF and using the flash
> about 5 times, and switching the camera off and on every 10 frames.
>
> This seems alot short of the quoted battery life estimates I have seen in
> the manual and posted on the internet.
>
> I know of the problem the S7000 had with CF cards, but I expect that I have
> one manufactured after the fault was corrected, and the batteries are not
> dying overnight, just through usage. I am currently using a 256Mb Viking CF
> card.
>
> I have just purchased 2 sets of 2400 maH batteries, and Im hoping I get much
> better life out of the rechargables than the alkalines.
>
> Is this battery life normal, or do I have a faulty power hungry camera?
>
> Steve.

I too have the Fuji S7000 as well as a Canon EOS 300D digital rebel.
Both are great cameras and I use them equally as much. The S7000 was
eating batteries like potatoe chips when I just gave up on the CF
memory. Now I have a 256 meg SD and a microdrive (CFII) and the
batteries go and go. I would suggest selling the CF to a buddy and get
some XD. XD is FAST and is really what the camera is made to work with.
I wouldn't assume that the camera was fixed for CF. Although the S7000
is a little noisy when you zoom in to the subatomic level, it is easily
fixed with photoshops RAW (if it bothers you). But the pictures it takes
are excellent. One more thing, the extension tubes are available
somewhere on the net (I forgot) for under $10.00. Then you can put a
polarizing filter on, WOW - whicked sky shots! Great camera!

Butch Lacadie

Ron

> One more thing, the extension tubes are available
> somewhere on the net (I forgot) for under $10.00. Then you can put a
> polarizing filter on, WOW - whicked sky shots! Great camera!
>
> Butch Lacadie

Uhh, that'd be Camera Filters dot com.

http://www.camerafilters.com/default.aspx

Around $7.00 for the extension tube. Damn, I wish I'd found out about this
place before I bought my tube from Fuji for $45. What a rip-off!!

Ron