Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Microsoft JPEG Hoax!

Microsoft JPEG Hoax!

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>, Larry
Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <_npdd.11866$(E-Mail Removed)> , david-
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk (David J Taylor)
> says...
> > Larry Caldwell wrote:
> > []
> > > The first PCs were smart terminals intended to interface to a
> > > mainframe and do a little computing locally.

> > That very much depends on your definition of PC!
> >
> > My first PC was one I built myself and had no connection to any mainframe.

> Your first PC was years after they were common in the business world.
> My first PC was a Reynolds and Reynolds TC-1000, designed to be a smart
> terminal for a DEC PDP-11 at General Motors. The first kits were
> designed to get affordable computers into the hands of home
> experimenters, but they were a long ways from leading edge technology.

<http://www.reyrey.com/about/historyall.asp>

gives a release date of 1979 for the tc-1000. even if it was a personal
computer (i do not consider a 'smart terminal' a computer), it still
would not be the first.

the altair 8800 appeared in 1975, but it was really a hobbyist project.
a number of other computers followed, including the imsai 8080 and
apple i, but it was not until the apple ii in 1977 when they became
useful to people who were not hobbyists.

none of these needed to be connected to mainframes or minicomputers to
be used.

Mxsmanic

Larry Caldwell writes:

> My first PC was a Reynolds and Reynolds TC-1000, designed to be a smart
> terminal for a DEC PDP-11 at General Motors.

Smart terminals were not PCs.

David J Taylor

Larry Caldwell wrote:
[]
>> My first PC was one I built myself and had no connection to any
>> mainframe.

> Your first PC was years after they were common in the business world.
> My first PC was a Reynolds and Reynolds TC-1000, designed to be a
> smart terminal for a DEC PDP-11 at General Motors. The first kits
> were designed to get affordable computers into the hands of home
> experimenters, but they were a long ways from leading edge technology.

No. My own PC preceded my business PCs by about ten years.

My first PCs were around 1975, and the S-100 system I subsequently built
around 1977 had a hard disk and high resolution graphics.

At this stage our business was still using a 300 baud teletype to access a
mainframe. I was responsible for the purchase and running on a DEC VAX
system (the PDPs were not powerful enough for us) and all of the access
was via dumb terminals until we got the Retrographics VT640 add-on
(perhaps around the start of the 1980s?).

PCs did not start to appear with us until the early-1980s (and they were
not even IBM clones). I actually bought the very first IBM PCs for my
company, and that was the AT model (6 MHz) in 1985. Its high-resolution
graphics was an EGA video card....

Cheers,
David