Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Microsoft JPEG Hoax!

Microsoft JPEG Hoax!

David J Taylor

Roland Karlsson wrote:
[]
> Management can be a pain sometimes.
>
> And yes - I agree with Maniac here. The reasons for
> using the oldie NT 4 is not all that easy to find.
> In many respects it is better than W2K and XP, but
> ... UNIX is the logical choice for most server needs.

Well, my UNIX colleagues were very envious of the graphical tools that I
could use with NT4 when they were still stuck at the command-line. What
an arcane language they had to learn.

Of course, when batch changes were required, I was envious of their
command-line tools!

Now things have come together more, and ease of use both in GUI and batch
modes is available for far more tools. For smaller server applications,
Microsoft does have a lot to offer, but UNIX has its place too.

Cheers,
David

Siddhartha Jain

David J Taylor wrote:
> Well, my UNIX colleagues were very envious of the graphical tools

that I
> could use with NT4 when they were still stuck at the command-line.

What
> an arcane language they had to learn.

For the most part I have stayed away from this never ending debate. But
couldn't help posting in reply to this.

Unix admins very envious of NT4 admins?? Thats really a first for me in
almost six years. If they had to learn an arcane language against
already knowing it indicates they weren't pro Unix admins but newbies
in which case they might not have understood the power of CLI in Unix
(to be more appropriate, the shell).
Unix admins abhor administering Windoze stuff.

Cheers,

Siddhartha

David J Taylor

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
[]
> For the most part I have stayed away from this never ending debate.
> But couldn't help posting in reply to this.
>
> Unix admins very envious of NT4 admins?? Thats really a first for me
> in almost six years. If they had to learn an arcane language against
> already knowing it indicates they weren't pro Unix admins but newbies
> in which case they might not have understood the power of CLI in Unix
> (to be more appropriate, the shell).
> Unix admins abhor administering Windoze stuff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Siddhartha

It just a prejudice - like your mis-spelling of Windows.

David

Mxsmanic

David J Taylor writes:

> Well, my UNIX colleagues were very envious of the graphical tools that I
> could use with NT4 when they were still stuck at the command-line.

GUIs look fun at first, but they are extremely inefficent to use for
expert administrators, in most situations. They also gobble bandwidth.

> What an arcane language they had to learn.

It's a lot faster than endlessly pointing and clicking.

Roland Karlsson

Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> What an arcane language they had to learn.

> It's a lot faster than endlessly pointing and clicking.

Yepp - you do scripts. And then you are thousands
of times more efficient than when you are using
a GUI based system.

It was called "automatic data processing". Something
that is more or less extinct today. We are back in
the "manual data processing" era again. I would guess
that 99% of computer users never have made any
scripting facility at all today. And only 0.1% uses
scripts as an active method.

We have fast computers and slooooow users.

/Roland

Roland Karlsson

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> We have fast computers and slooooow users.

BTW - do you PhotoShop users here do any scripting?

/Roland

David J Taylor

Roland Karlsson wrote:
[]
> BTW - do you PhotoShop users here do any scripting?

I have written one script for Paint Shop Pro which I use to keep the
browser cache files up-to-date in an overnight batch job.

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

Mxsmanic wrote:
> David J Taylor writes:
>
>> Well, my UNIX colleagues were very envious of the graphical tools
>> that I could use with NT4 when they were still stuck at the
>> command-line.

> GUIs look fun at first, but they are extremely inefficent to use for
> expert administrators, in most situations. They also gobble
> bandwidth.

Most situations - what a generalisation! I thought we had already
addressed the bandwidth issue - have the GUI on your desktop talking to
the remote server - that's the UNIX way isn't it?

>> What an arcane language they had to learn.

> It's a lot faster than endlessly pointing and clicking.

Please note that I did say repeated operations were sometimes better
handled by a command-line interface. On the other hand, selecting a group
of objects from a set by shift-click and applying a common operation to
those objects may well be quicker in a GUI.

Cheers,
David

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote:

>> Unix admins abhor administering Windoze stuff.

> It just a prejudice - like your mis-spelling of Windows.

Maintaining Mickysoft crud is like swimming in an ocean of ****. Even
the worst Unix environment (arguably AIX; it's pretty bad indeed) is a
neo-Islamic paradise in comparison.

Only the profoundly ignorant call this "sour grapes", "jealousy", or
"prejudice".

And we spell it Windoze because Microshaft has a trademark for the
word "Windows" ((R) Microsoft Corporation), and we would rather not
step in Excrement of Bill^H^H^H, excuse me, trespass on their Precious
Intellectual Property.

Mxsmanic

> Maintaining Mickysoft crud is like swimming in an ocean of ****. Even
> the worst Unix environment (arguably AIX; it's pretty bad indeed) is a
> neo-Islamic paradise in comparison.

Posts like this discredit those who might wish to voice legitimate
criticism of Microsoft.

> Only the profoundly ignorant call this "sour grapes", "jealousy", or
> "prejudice".

Only the profoundly emotional are so irrationally vituperative with
respect to Microsoft (or whatever other targets they become obsessed
with).

> And we spell it Windoze because Microshaft has a trademark for the
> word "Windows" ((R) Microsoft Corporation), and we would rather not
> step in Excrement of Bill^H^H^H, excuse me, trespass on their Precious
> Intellectual Property.

Microsoft doesn't care if you say Windows.