Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP home, Wireless and WEP

XP home, Wireless and WEP

=?Utf-8?B?VXR6?=

I'm attempting to configure a 802.11b wireless network for my home office. I have 4 PCs. 2 running Win2K pro and 2 running WinXP home. 3 are all using Linksys USB wireless cards version 2.5 and one is using it's built-in Intel card. I am also using a Linksys wireless router.

Everything is working perfectly until I attempt to turn on WEP (12. The two Win2K machines work fine, but the router won't send to the XP machines. The packets go out, but do not return. I know the WEP key is correct.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to turn off the auto config and let me set up my connection the old fashion way? Or is there possibly another fix or work around?

Thank You

=?Utf-8?B?VXR6?=

Yeah, I tried that. The thing is the network works fine for all computers until I enable WEP. After that only the Win2K machines work. XP takes the setting then seems to throw it out and revert back to an ad-hoc network.

Does disabeling the Zero Config service harm windows in any way?

"BAR" wrote:

> If you click on the wireless connection icon in the system tray you should be able to get to the Properties menu and set it up.
>
> By the way, 128 bit encryption will slow down your network data flow as every packet sent or received must be encrypted by the sender and decrypted by the receiver. Use 64 bit to speed it up.
>

> "Utz" wrote:
>
> > I'm attempting to configure a 802.11b wireless network for my home office. I have 4 PCs. 2 running Win2K pro and 2 running WinXP home. 3 are all using Linksys USB wireless cards version 2.5 and one is using it's built-in Intel card. I am also using a Linksys wireless router.
> >
> > Everything is working perfectly until I attempt to turn on WEP (12. The two Win2K machines work fine, but the router won't send to the XP machines. The packets go out, but do not return. I know the WEP key is correct.
> >
> > I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to turn off the auto config and let me set up my connection the old fashion way? Or is there possibly another fix or work around?
> >
> > Thank You

chris French

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Utz
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Yeah, I tried that. The thing is the network works fine for all
>computers until I enable WEP. After that only the Win2K machines work.
>XP takes the setting then seems to throw it out and revert back to an
>ad-hoc network.
>
>Does disabeling the Zero Config service harm windows in any way?

No, I've disabled it on my XP laptop and let my manufacturers (Buffalo)
utility manage things
--
Chris French