Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camcorder versus Digital Camera

Camcorder versus Digital Camera

mcp6453

My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with 10X
optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the 10X
camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured with
the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera, but I
don't know what it is.

David J Taylor

mcp6453 wrote:
> My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with
> 10X optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the
> 10X camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured
> with the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera,
> but I don't know what it is.

Are you trying to capture moving images at TV resolution or still images
at "photographic" resolution?

David

mcp6453

David J Taylor wrote:

> mcp6453 wrote:
> > My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> > at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with
> > 10X optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> > optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the
> > 10X camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured
> > with the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera,
> > but I don't know what it is.

> Are you trying to capture moving images at TV resolution or still images
> at "photographic" resolution?

Still images at photographic resolution. I think you just answered my
question. The camcorder is lower resolution. How do you determine the
resolution of a still created by a DV camcorder?

David J Taylor

mcp6453 wrote:
[]
>> Are you trying to capture moving images at TV resolution or still
>> images at "photographic" resolution?

> Still images at photographic resolution. I think you just answered my
> question. The camcorder is lower resolution. How do you determine the
> resolution of a still created by a DV camcorder?

Look in the specifications!

Some camcorders will do better than others, of course, and your choice of
final output medium - TV screen, Web image, computer display, print etc. -
will determine what resolution you actually need.

Cheers,
David

Jim Townsend

mcp6453 wrote:

> David J Taylor wrote:

>> Are you trying to capture moving images at TV resolution or still images
>> at "photographic" resolution?

> Still images at photographic resolution. I think you just answered my
> question. The camcorder is lower resolution. How do you determine the
> resolution of a still created by a DV camcorder?

Digital camcorders with the ability to do stills have the resolution
listed in the specs. You'll find the best you can get is around 1.6
Megapixels and you'll pay dearly for the feature. This is only good
for printing up to 5" X 7" .. Most lower end Camcorders only record
1 Megapixel or less. That limits you to 4" X 6"

Consumer still cameras today average about 4 Megapixels and can easily
print better than 8" x 10" Many do short movies.

If you want great video and marginal stills, get the Camcorder. If
you want great stills and the odd short video, then get a still
camera.

If you're most interested in bringing things in close, you'll find that
Camcorders generally have better telephoto ability..

Kevin

In rec.video mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with 10X
> optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the 10X
> camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured with
> the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera, but I
> don't know what it is.

Still shots captured by camcorders are pretty mediocre compared to what's
possible with a decent digital still camera. At those long zoom levels
though, it would be much more difficult to find a still camera (either one
with a very long zoom or one that supports external zoom lenses)

Good luck...

Paul Wantzelius

Because the digital camera will take much better (still) pictures than
any camcorder.

mcp6453 wrote:

> My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with 10X
> optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the 10X
> camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured with
> the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera, but I
> don't know what it is.

PTRAVEL

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with 10X
> optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the 10X
> camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured with
> the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera, but I
> don't know what it is.

1. No camcorder is capable of still imaging comparable to a _good_ quality
digitial still camera.

2. A 20x lens on a camcorder is useless for a variety of reasons. First,
it can't be handheld (anything over 8x-10x is virtually impossible to
handhold). Second, consumer camcorder that tout large focal length zooms
use inferior optics that will produce a miserable image at their extremes.

3. Digital still cameras have a broader range of shutter speeds, which
allow selecting one appropriate for the depth of field you wish to achieve.

andre

Jim Townsend wrote:
> mcp6453 wrote:
>

>>David J Taylor wrote:

>>>Are you trying to capture moving images at TV resolution or still images
>>>at "photographic" resolution?

>>Still images at photographic resolution. I think you just answered my
>>question. The camcorder is lower resolution. How do you determine the
>>resolution of a still created by a DV camcorder?

> Digital camcorders with the ability to do stills have the resolution
> listed in the specs. You'll find the best you can get is around 1.6
> Megapixels and you'll pay dearly for the feature. This is only good
> for printing up to 5" X 7" .. Most lower end Camcorders only record
> 1 Megapixel or less. That limits you to 4" X 6"
>
> Consumer still cameras today average about 4 Megapixels and can easily
> print better than 8" x 10" Many do short movies.
>
> If you want great video and marginal stills, get the Camcorder. If
> you want great stills and the odd short video, then get a still
> camera.
>
> If you're most interested in bringing things in close, you'll find that
> Camcorders generally have better telephoto ability..

Besides the stated obvious (above) my Sony MiniDV camcorder takes rather
noisy pictures. I am rarely using it for anything but video.

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Mark M

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife needs a digital camera with excellent zoom for taking pictures
> at my son's football games. There are some highly rated cameras with 10X
> optical zoom. However, there are some DV camcorders that claim 20X
> optical zoom. The camcorders are cheaper. Why should I purchase the 10X
> camera versus the camcorder 20X when still shots can be captured with
> the camcorder? There has to be a reason to prefer the camera, but I
> don't know what it is.

Video is recoreded at a TINY fraction of the resolution that still cameras
record.

Even video cameras that promote their "high resolution" sensors are woefully
LOW res in comparison with even the cheaper still cameras.

Sony has a video camera with a 2MP still capture.

Digitals still cameras are cheap at 4MP, and reasonable all the way up to
6MP.

If you want to print larger than 4x6, you'll be much happier with a still
camera.