Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Help configuring a Cisco 1711 router

Help configuring a Cisco 1711 router

Leo Nardo

Hi,

We have recently bought a Cisco 1711 router. Until now, I've been using a
Linux based firewall. Our ISP provides us with a fixed DSL address and an
extra range of six usable IP addresses (a .248 subnet) that are not
contiguous to the DSL address, and are not routed through it. The DSL
interface only gets 1 IP address. On the Linux firewall, I am using a setup
that has all the .248 servers in a DMZ and I use proxyarp to bring this
addresses forward so they appear to be on the same net as the DSL
interface. Is it possible to create a similar configuration on the 1711,
for example putting all the .248 servers in a vlan and using proxyarp to
make this addresses appear to be on the WAN side of the router? While
testing, I've noticed that as soon as I enable proxyarp I get "Duplicate IP
address" message on the DMZ computer. Is there an alternate configuration
that will allow access to this servers from the WAN side. All of this
servers have legal IP addresses so there is no need for port forwarding or
nat. Please answer to the newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.

robert.edmeister@gmail.com

I would like to help, but I'm not exactly sure of your setup. If, for
example, your single IP address and /29 subnet both hang off the same
router interface, I believe you should be able to add a secondar IP
address on the 1711 interface. For example:

int fa0/0
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.248 secondary

As long as the ISP has a route pointing to that subnet giong through
the single IP address and you have a default route back to your ISP, I
think this setup should work. HTH.

Robert

Leo Nardo

> I would like to help, but I'm not exactly sure of your setup. If, for
> example, your single IP address and /29 subnet both hang off the same
> router interface, I believe you should be able to add a secondar IP
> address on the 1711 interface. For example:
>
> int fa0/0
> ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.248 secondary
>
> As long as the ISP has a route pointing to that subnet giong through
> the single IP address and you have a default route back to your ISP, I
> think this setup should work. HTH.
>
> Robert

The setup is as follows:

".248" legal addresses subnet-> Vlan2
4-port WIC ->1711<- Ethernet0 -> DSL
Private LAN -> Vlan1

Our ISP does not route the ".248" addresses through the the main DSL address
(wich by the way is on a different subnet). I need to use proxy arp to
bring the 248 addresses forward to the DSL interface. This is what I do
with the Linux firewall. By the way, is it possible to have secondary
addresses on the FastEthernet0 interface when using ADSL, When it is
connected to an ADSL modem?

If I use the setup you are suggesting, I have to port forward from the DSL
interface to the Vlan2 servers I guess.

Thanks.

Thanks.