Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital reflex, 300D good enough?

Digital reflex, 300D good enough?

Tony

Hi guys,
I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
the agencies/libraries?

Thank you for any advice,
Tony

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Gene Palmiter

yes....but you should do a bit better being a pro. Six is good for
consumers...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?
>
> Thank you for any advice,
> Tony
>
> Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Bill Crocker

Should be good enough! It's basically a "lite" (but not really limited),
version of the Canon 10D, which is commonly used for the same purposes.

Bill Crocker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?
>
> Thank you for any advice,
> Tony
>
> Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Martin Francis

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?

Used 10D prices are falling...

no, and yes...."

Jerry

The next step is how are you going from looking at the pictures on the
screen to good prints to sell, another expince, so make it a good one. There
are allot of printers to pick from , but for real good prints the selection
is slim.
Some inkjets are OK , and the Duy Sub Printers are better.

"Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cikaff$fbd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys,
> > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> > the agencies/libraries?

> Used 10D prices are falling...
>
> --
> Martin Francis http://www.sixbysix.co.uk
> "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for it will say both no, and yes, and
> no, and yes...."

Darrell Larose

It's actually cheaper in many cases to have a photo lab print for you. Cost
out the ink and paper, and factor in a waste factor as many printers need to
be used or they could have dirty jets. I can get a 8x10" photo output from a
digital file for $6.00. It's not ink, nad has the same look & feel as a
regular analog photo.

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> The next step is how are you going from looking at the pictures on the
> screen to good prints to sell, another expince, so make it a good one.

There
> are allot of printers to pick from , but for real good prints the

selection
> is slim.
> Some inkjets are OK , and the Duy Sub Printers are better.
>

> "Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cikaff$fbd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi guys,
> > > I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> > > portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> > > color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> > > professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> > > enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> > > the agencies/libraries?

> > Used 10D prices are falling...
> >
> > --
> > Martin Francis http://www.sixbysix.co.uk
> > "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for it will say both no, and yes, and
> > no, and yes...."

Matt Austern

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?

A friend who got married recently hired a photographer who used a 6
megapixel camera, so that's at least one professional who uses a
camera with that resolution.

You should think about some of the other limitations of the 300D
compared to the other dSLRs out there, though: no mirror lockup, less
independent control of exposure mode, a single dial for exposure and
shutter speed instead of two, and so on. Maybe those limitations
won't matter for the kind of work you do, of course, but you should
think about them. A Canon 10D or 20D doesn't have those limitations
and they aren't all that much more expensive. (For what it's worth, I
own a 300D and I'm happy with it. But then, I'm not a professional.)

Roland Karlsson

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:200409191416038904
@mynewsgate.net:

> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?
>
> Thank you for any advice,
> Tony
>
> Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

The 300D and the 10D takes just as good photos. The disadvantages
of 300D are mainly - lack of professional look and strange limitations
regarding functionality. Both irritating things; but the picture
quality is the same.

/Roland

Jim Townsend

Tony wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
> portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
> color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
> professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
> enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
> the agencies/libraries?

The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
crop too much).

Note that If you're *really* after professional results, don't scrimp
on the lenses. A good Canon portrait lens can easily come close to,
or exceed the cost of the camera.

Ryadia

Jim Townsend wrote:

> The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
> can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
> crop too much).

This is not entirely correct.
I own a 10D which has the same sensor as a 300D. Almost all the work I
sell lately is maxi-posters printed at 24"x36". The detail is as
stunningly crisp and accurate as printing at 8"x10". All you have to do
is open you mind to what professional photo printers are doing.

The process is called Interpolation and it has gotten so good lately
that upsizing a good quality, 6MP, digital image 1500% has virtually no
visable loss of detail.

Sure, the program I use costs big bucks but consumer programs like
Genuine Fractals cost not much more than the cost of the first print and
if you are selling your work, you can make enough from the first feww
prints to pay for their professional version.

Ryadia