Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photography restrictions in Churches and museums

photography restrictions in Churches and museums

zxcvar

I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
other important buildings in the UK and France?

Thanks.

Graham

On 18 Sep 2004 08:33:36 -0700, zxcvar,
<news:(E-Mail Removed) om> expounded this
theory:

> I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?

In the UK flash is frowned upon in churches for obvious reasons. As
are tripods for public safety reasons...blocking the flow of visitors
and obstructing emergency access, also tripods can damage floors
which may be centuries old.

Joseph Meehan

zxcvar wrote:
> I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
> Thanks.

Rules vary from place to place. Well known and visited churches may
have rules posted. Most museums will have rules posted or on your ticket.

I suggest first of foremost keeping in mind the nature of the place. In
all areas you don't want to block others use/enjoyment so you need to stay
out of the way, and don't do anything that would detract from the dignified
environment of the place. Often this means not using tripods etc.

There are some locations that welcome photographers and do not object to
tripods. From my experience, you don't know until you get there what it may
be like.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Phil Wheeler

Generally do not plan to use flash nor tripod (one reason I like image
stabilization or high ISO).

Some churches may prohibit photography or charge a fee.

Phil

zxcvar wrote:
> I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
> Thanks.

F I Nishing

zxcvar wrote:
> I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
> Thanks.

I understand there's no photography permitted in Westminster Abbey,
which is a big disappointment to many of its visitors. Most of the
other cathedrals in England permit photography, should you happen to
stray from London, and Winchester has a particularly fine one. If it's
not Sunday you probably won't find many of the churches unlocked.
F.

Greg Shannan

"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
> Thanks.

I've taken a lot of pictures in Cathedrals and Churches through France. I use a
small "hiking" tripod that is about 6" long. It either sits on the floor, or,
mostly, clamps onto a seat. I think generally it's a bad idea to use flash in
these places (it can be inconsiderate). I've never had any objections, or, for
that matter seen any signs (in churches and cathedrals). Art museums would
probably complain, though.

.... Greg Shannan

James Silverton

"Greg Shannan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there

any
> > restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums

and
> > other important buildings in the UK and France?
> >
> > Thanks.

> I've taken a lot of pictures in Cathedrals and Churches through

France. I use a
> small "hiking" tripod that is about 6" long. It either sits on the

floor, or,
> mostly, clamps onto a seat. I think generally it's a bad idea to

use flash in
> these places (it can be inconsiderate). I've never had any

objections, or, for
> that matter seen any signs (in churches and cathedrals). Art

museums would
> probably complain, though.

"No photography" is much more unusual than "no flash". Some places
collect a fee if you use any sort of tripod and they catch you. One
that I seem to remember was Chartres cathedral. I now have a little
Nikon 3200 that does surprisingly well in its "Museum" setting: no
flash, takes a series of pictures and selects the one that seems least
fuzzy to the software.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Alan Meyer

"Greg Shannan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:6a23d.77666$XP3.16097@edtnps84...

> "zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> > restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> > other important buildings in the UK and France?

In my experience, most art museums restrict photos.
Some will even seize your camera if they see you walk
in with one, and give it back to you when you leave.

I think the problems are that they sell the photographic
rights to the artwork inside, and they sell images in their
museum shop. To allow anyone to take photos could
cost them money in both areas.

This kind of problem can also exist at palaces and other
(especially privately owned) tourist sites.

Alan

Phil Wheeler

Alan Meyer wrote:

> "Greg Shannan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:6a23d.77666$XP3.16097@edtnps84...
>
>>"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>>
>>>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>>>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>>>other important buildings in the UK and France?

> In my experience, most art museums restrict photos.
> Some will even seize your camera if they see you walk
> in with one, and give it back to you when you leave.

I've seen that only rarely (e.g., Academmia in Florence) in public
museums, but frequently in private gallerys (e.g., at Andros in the
Aegean in May). In Paris 2-3 years ago, no problem in Louvre, Musee
d'Orsay, Rodin, Picasso museums (with no-flash shooting).

More problems in churches, especially those which are also locations of
tombs.

Just my experience, and it could change quickly.

Phil

SamSez

>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>other important buildings in the UK and France?

Many cathedrals in the UK "require" a photography permit prominently displayed
[available for a few pounds from the gift shop]. Most UK historic homes have
forbidden interior photography completely [the most common explanation being
that photos were being taken to produce 'what to steal' lists, though no two
stories seem to agree exactly].