Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photography restrictions in Churches and museums

photography restrictions in Churches and museums

Hugh Jorgan

Westminster Abbey doesn't allow it, but if you're very discreet you'll be
OK. If you get caught they just ask you politely to stop. Of course if you
have a relative buried in the floor of the place, which my wife has, they do
the old Look-around-for-the-boss trick (shouldn't they be looking up too?)
and let you snap a few shots quickly.
Notre Dame, pretty much anything goes. Flash, tripods, as long as you don't
start hanging off statues looking for a better angle they let you go. The
walk to the roof is very much a sheep run of tourists, but you can get some
good shots with a long lens when you're up there.
--
Hugh Jorgan

"zxcvar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
> restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
> other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
> Thanks.

Charlie Self

SamSez writes:

>>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>>other important buildings in the UK and France?

>Many cathedrals in the UK "require" a photography permit prominently
>displayed
>[available for a few pounds from the gift shop]. Most UK historic homes have
>forbidden interior photography completely [the most common explanation being
>that photos were being taken to produce 'what to steal' lists, though no two
>stories seem to agree exactly].

Some US houses are the same way: Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob homes
in Pennsylvania are examples. The rationale is simple: they sell interior shots
themselves.

Charlie Self
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Ron Hunter

Charlie Self wrote:
> SamSez writes:
>

>>>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>>>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>>>other important buildings in the UK and France?

>>Many cathedrals in the UK "require" a photography permit prominently
>>displayed
>>[available for a few pounds from the gift shop]. Most UK historic homes have
>>forbidden interior photography completely [the most common explanation being
>>that photos were being taken to produce 'what to steal' lists, though no two
>>stories seem to agree exactly].
>>

> Some US houses are the same way: Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob homes
> in Pennsylvania are examples. The rationale is simple: they sell interior shots
> themselves.
>
> Charlie Self
> "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
> President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Same for Biltmore. Unfortunately, the picture CDs have only a very few
shots of the interior, and you can take as many shots of the grounds and
conservatory as you want. Sure would have liked to get some of the
interiors. Oh well, they are in my memory, but it is hard to show that
to others....

Justín Käse

On 18 Sep 2004 08:33:36 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (zxcvar)
wrote:

>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
>Thanks.

I was confronted by a guard at the Castellano Sforzesco in Milano who
seemed concerned about my camera and the effect of the flash on the
exhibits. He did allow me to take one picture though. This was back in
1990 when I was there for the world cup games, I have no idea what
current policy is.
FWIW: The subject I chose was an armored knight on a horse which was
already illuminated by several incandescent track lights that gave bad
shadows and poor color temperature. If I had it to do again, I'd try to
have several other inconspicuous tourist types positioned around it with
slave triggered strobes. <g>
--

JK

Justín Käse

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:24:35 -0400, "James Silverton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I now have a little
>Nikon 3200 that does surprisingly well in its "Museum" setting: no
>flash, takes a series of pictures and selects the one that seems least
>fuzzy to the software.

Although I haven't tried it yet, my new Canon S1 IS mentions a bracket
mode where you can do a threesome as you say the Nikon does. I believe
(without getting out the manual) that you can select for a bracket of
exposures or focus distance, not sure if you can extend the series to
accommodate both.
--

JK

James Silverton

"Justín Käse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:24:35 -0400, "James Silverton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I now have a little
> >Nikon 3200 that does surprisingly well in its "Museum" setting: no
> >flash, takes a series of pictures and selects the one that seems

least
> >fuzzy to the software.

> Although I haven't tried it yet, my new Canon S1 IS mentions a

bracket
> mode where you can do a threesome as you say the Nikon does. I

believe
> (without getting out the manual) that you can select for a bracket

of
> exposures or focus distance, not sure if you can extend the series

> accommodate both.
> --

The Nikon takes up to 10 sequential pictures with the same nominal
settings and the emphasis is on automatic "best shot selection" of
sharpness rather than exposure bracketing. It's not very
"professional" perhaps but it usually works surprisingly well
especially when the exposure time is just a bit longer than I would
think of hand holding!
--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Richard Ballard

In article <414cadd0$0$20250$(E-Mail Removed)>,
F I Nishing <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>zxcvar wrote:
>
>>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>>other important buildings in the UK and France?
>>
>>Thanks.

>I understand there's no photography permitted in Westminster Abbey,
>which is a big disappointment to many of its visitors.

There were no photographic restrictions when I visited
Westminster Abbey in the early 1990's.

>Most of the
>other cathedrals in England permit photography, should you happen to
>stray from London, and Winchester has a particularly fine one. If it's
>not Sunday you probably won't find many of the churches unlocked.
>F.

In cathedrals and churches I follow rules plus propriety.
If worshippers are present I do not take photographs.
Visits to churches and cathedrals can be scheduled
for periods when worship is not scheduled. Visits to
churches can be scheduled at times when outdoor sunlight
illuminates stained glass windows.

I find it difficult to photograph inside large cathedrals
(e.g., Notre Dame de Paris, late 1980's). Large cathedrals
often do not have extensive windows, the interior is not
brightly illuminated, and the interior is so extensive
that a high powered consumer grade flash is not adequate.
At cathedrals I take exterior pictures -- I love gargoyles.

Most museums post rules concerning photography.
Most museums prohibit flash photography. I have
had good luck with high speed (i.e. ASA 800, late 1990's)
available light photography inside museums. I never carry
a monopod or tripod -- sometimes I lean against building
interior pillars while I take photographs.

I have provided rough dates for my experiences because
I have not traveled recently.

'Hope that helps.

Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
--
Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

John

Just a quick correction - I was at Notre Dame last weekend, and they now
restrict flash photography (justification is there are folks there who have
come to worship). Same restriction at the Louvre (for different reasons,
obviously), though the herd around the Mona Lisa were flashing away merrily.
.. .

- John

"Hugh Jorgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y763d.35488$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Notre Dame, pretty much anything goes. Flash, tripods, as long as you
> don't
> start hanging off statues looking for a better angle they let you go. The
> walk to the roof is very much a sheep run of tourists, but you can get
> some
> good shots with a long lens when you're up there.

Jeremy Nixon

SamSez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Many cathedrals in the UK "require" a photography permit prominently
> displayed [available for a few pounds from the gift shop].

You know, I wouldn't mind paying a (reasonable) fee for a photo permit, but
if they're going to expect me to pay for access, I expect to have access
normally unavailable to a tourist -- off-hours when the place is empty,
for example, or access to areas normally off-limits. If they want me to
pay and still be a regular tourist, they can bite me. I'll shoot until
they kick me out.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

David Littlewood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , zxcvar
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I plan on going to Paris and London in the near future. Are there any
>restrictions on taking pictures inside the churches and museums and
>other important buildings in the UK and France?
>
>Thanks.

The UK National Trust has a strict "no interior photography" rule. They
claim it's to stop thieves taking pictures to aid robbery, which is of
course a lie - it's to protect sales in the shop. It's utterly shameful,
given that almost all their properties were left to the nation in wills
to make them available to the public, and they should be drummed out of
office.

The British Museum - one of the best in the world - has a relaxed view
on photography. Don't know if they allow flash (I always avoid it where
possible anyway) and I don't imagine they would allow tripods. A fast
lens and fast film (or high ISO setting on your digital camera) should
suffice for many items. I have taken excellent photos of the Elgin
Marbles hand held with a 35mm f/1.4.

Many art galleries would not allow photography for copyright reasons
(for recent works) and also to protect print sales.

Also note that in UK law any work of art, building, statue etc. which is
visible from a public area can be photographed from there without
breaching copyright. There is absolutely no "buildings right". In France
the position is apparently different, and I understand some owners can
(and do) prevent photography of exteriors for commercial purposes.

Most smaller churches in the UK allow photography (as in my
not-very-recent experience in France. The larger tourist spots however
seem to be more interested in making money. Certain biblical stories
spring to mind.
--
David Littlewood