Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20D lockup problems

Canon 20D lockup problems

Jerry

Anyone here have the same, maby I will wait before I buy.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10313358

James Fisher

Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

I have yet to see anyone that reports that this camera is in stock. About half
a dozen people said that they got theirs from b&h, b&h only recently began
taking pre-orders and still reports it as not even being in stock.. I
preordered my 20d from adorama a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard
jack **** from them about available. How are people saying that they got
theirs a week ago?

Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..

Jerry wrote:

> Anyone here have the same, maby I will wait before I buy.
>

> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10313358

Phil Wheeler

First deliveries reported from Calumet Photo in Chicago 8 days ago.
Many more were delivered last week. Body-only and 18-55 kit configurations.

17-85IS kits are expected mid-to-late next week.

Aside from B&H, most reports are deliveries from local shops. Here in
L.A. several had ads in the L.A. Times last week saying the 20D is in stock.

Phil

James Fisher wrote:
> Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

Bart van der Wolf

"James Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..

Good, it'll make someone else happy.

Do you believe all of these 'reports' are genuine? Has any of those
'reports' a common denominator (fake poster, OEM lens, cheap CF card,
cheap battery, etc.)?
I'm not saying there is no issue, but there is no solid reason to
think there is one either, or that it won't be fixed (if there is
anything to be fixed).

Bart

Eric Gill

James Fisher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:10kok7lltmeilc0
@corp.supernews.com:

> Where are all these people getting these 20ds?

From Canon, of course. And, as usual, they are spreading their available
units around to **** off as few people as possible.

The nearest camera shop to my home received exactly two, which I wistfully
watched pass over to the first two people on the waiting list.

Be patient.

Skip M

news:Xns95688ADE9C0E3ericvgillyahoocom@63.223.5.24 6...

Or to spread out the distribution of ****ed of people, anyway. <G>

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Skip M

"James Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where are all these people getting these 20ds?
>
> I have yet to see anyone that reports that this camera is in stock. About

half
> a dozen people said that they got theirs from b&h, b&h only recently began
> taking pre-orders and still reports it as not even being in stock.. I
> preordered my 20d from adorama a couple of weeks ago and still haven't

heard
> jack **** from them about available. How are people saying that they got
> theirs a week ago?
>
> Any route I'm cancelling my 20d order..
>
> Jerry wrote:
>
> > Anyone here have the same, maby I will wait before I buy.
> >

> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10313358

Why are you canceling?
The reports I've read of "lockup" are either with a cheap aftermarket
battery, an aftermarket lens, or from someone with no real posting history.
I'm going to give my 20D (yes, I got one from a local dealer, yesterday) a
thorough workout today, including with Sigma lenses, E-film battery. I
mean, someone with the screen name "Gotya," the instigator of thread you
linked, has to throw some doubt on the subject. There seems to be an equal
number of posts in that thread that report no problems. We'll see if there
are any problems with mine, and I'll let you know...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Jerry

After reading about all the BUGS I might hold off for a month, especially
after spending all that damn money, hell the $6.95 camera local drug stores
camera doesn't lock up like that.
Watch out on E-Bay the buggy ones could crop up.

I thougth only WINDOWS 98, se, or XP had bugs.

Skip M wrote:

> Why are you canceling?
> The reports I've read of "lockup" are either with a cheap aftermarket
> battery, an aftermarket lens, or from someone with no real posting history.

My read, from 120+ posts, is that there is a real problem: Enough are
using Canon lenses and batteries to remove the 3rd party theory. There
was no such rash of posts with either the 10D or the 300D.

> I'm going to give my 20D (yes, I got one from a local dealer, yesterday) a
> thorough workout today, including with Sigma lenses, E-film battery. I
> mean, someone with the screen name "Gotya," the instigator of thread you
> linked, has to throw some doubt on the subject. There seems to be an equal
> number of posts in that thread that report no problems. We'll see if there
> are any problems with mine, and I'll let you know...

My guess is the "no problem" cases may really be "no problem yet". That
said, I have one on order (17-85IS kit), expect in a week or two, and
will take it when it arrives. The camera is still usable with the
described problem (R&R the battery) and I think/hope that if there is a
real problem, it will be a firmware fix.

No need to panic.

Phil

Charles Schuler

Changing lenses while the camera is on might be a factor.