Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT - Printer Help?

OT - Printer Help?

Dave

Greetings!
This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.

*************************************!
I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
Printer 2: Canon i560s.
Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
printing.
The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
(Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
printer.

I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
their software.
HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
Canon: 26 " " " " "

System Info:
Compaq Presario S3200NX
2.0 Ghz
WIN XP Home SP1
512 MB RAM

Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!

TIA!

-- Dave

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings!
> This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
> printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.

Something else is wrong with your computer because the last post to
comp.periphs.printers was 9/15/2004.

> *************************************!
> I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
> 2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
> Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
> Printer 2: Canon i560s.
> Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
> printing.
> The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print

jobs,
> (Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool

up
> and begin print ingimmediately,usuallywithin1-2seconds.
> At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
> software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
> printer.

Just a guess:
Perhaps the Hp printer is more affected by the delay in a hub than the
Canon.
Jim

Rick

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings!
> This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
> printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
>
> *************************************!
> I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
> 2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
> Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
> Printer 2: Canon i560s.
> Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
> printing.
> The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
> (Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
> and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
> At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
> software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
> printer.
>
> I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
> from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
> their software.
> HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
> Canon: 26 " " " " "
>
> System Info:
> Compaq Presario S3200NX
> 2.0 Ghz
> WIN XP Home SP1
> 512 MB RAM
>
> Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
>
> TIA!

1. Free up any unused space on your hard drive(s).
2. Defrag your hard drive(s).
3. Check the options in your HP printer driver and see if
anything's been changed, e.g. the option to start printing
immediately or wait until jobs are completely spooled.
4. If nothing else works try uninstalling your AV software
and see if it fixes the problem. There could be a driver
specific issue between the software and HP's driver.

Rick

Bob

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings!
>This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
>printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
>
>*************************************!
>I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
>2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
>Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
>Printer 2: Canon i560s.
>Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
>printing.
>The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
>(Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
>and begin print ingimmediately,usuallywithin1-2seconds.
>At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
>software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
>printer.
>
>I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
>from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
>their software.
>HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
>Canon: 26 " " " " "
>
>System Info:
>Compaq Presario S3200NX
>2.0 Ghz
>WIN XP Home SP1
>512 MB RAM
>
>Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
>
>TIA!
>
>-- Dave

I can't help you - but I'd like to tell you that we have an HP printer at work
on the LAN and for some reason it is painfully slow! I can print a color photo
at home on a similar HP faster then it can print a memo!

If you ever find the reason - please post it here!

Charles

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:56:31 -0700, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings!
>This is OT, but two members of this NG suggested that I post here, as the
>printer NGs have been silent after more than two weeks.
>
>*************************************!
>I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port, Belkin, USB
>2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC.
>Printer 1: HP PSC 1210.
>Printer 2: Canon i560s.
>Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take longer for a print job to begin
>printing.
>The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs,
>(Web pages, spreadsheet, documents, photos, text & graphic scans), spool up
>and begin printing immediately, usually within 1-2 seconds.
>At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV
>software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP
>printer.
>
>I just did a test print to both printers, black only, this message printed
>from MS Word 2000. Both printers were set to highest quality printing in
>their software.
>HP: 48 seconds from "print" to complete.
>Canon: 26 " " " " "
>
>System Info:
>Compaq Presario S3200NX
>2.0 Ghz
>WIN XP Home SP1
>512 MB RAM
>
>Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated!
>
>TIA!
>
>-- Dave

Try taking one of the printers off the hub. Printers can hang up a
port, I've had problems with a printer and something on the same port.
different connections via a hub count as one port. I had to add a
separate USB card to get additional ports for the stuff I hang on
there.

It doesn't cause problems all the time, but it can and is worth
looking into when a problem does show up.

--

- Charles
-