Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to take photos of a supernova ?

How to take photos of a supernova ?

Roland Karlsson

Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%im1d.5296$YU2.2181
@twister.socal.rr.com:

> Indeed! Such prior knowledge should be shared. Gee -- hope its not too
> close

How about 6 light minutes away?

/Roland

Gene Palmiter

I have forgotten the facts...but that is the star named Sol...right? When
that one goes Super you should have your camera on already, manual focus and
set the speed to fastest (slow ISO as there will be plenty of light)
aperture small (same reasoning). You want to be all set up as the time you
have to take the shot exceeds the lag time of most cameras.

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%im1d.5296$YU2.2181
> @twister.socal.rr.com:
>
> > Indeed! Such prior knowledge should be shared. Gee -- hope its not too
> > close
> >

> How about 6 light minutes away?
>

> /Roland

Prometheus

In article <Xns9563E64728F71klotjohan@130.133.1.4>, Roland Karlsson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%im1d.5296$YU2.2181
>@twister.socal.rr.com:
>
>> Indeed! Such prior knowledge should be shared. Gee -- hope its not too
>> close
>>

>How about 6 light minutes away?

That makes it about 10^11 metres away which is closer than our Sun (150
x 10^9m), where is this hitherto unknown star? Just a few observations,
the photon flux will fry you, the particle storm will rip apart anything
left. But if you have the ability to know a day before when there are no
signs then you probably have the ability to escape with your photograph,
and don't need our advice anyway.

--
Ian G8ILZ

clw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, G.K.
> Konnig <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.
> >
> >How?

> More to the point how do you know there will be a supernova tomorrow?
>
> The final implosion of a massive dying star is not something we have
> ever been able to predict. When one occurs the resulting explosion makes
> the star outshine the galaxy that it sits in for a few weeks.
>
> Perhaps you meant something else?
>
> First thing to try is constellation photography with a standard lens and
> exposures in the range 30s to 2 minutes. Preferably on a fast film with
> low reciprocity failure.

Just go to the Space Telescope web site and down load what you want.
Much better shots, good resolution etc. And you do not have to wait for
millions of years perhaps. Also, even if it does occur, it might be
only visible in daylight from where you live...real bummer!

--
Panta rei

Bill Bannon

If the supernova is happening tomorrow then you should have plenty of time
to relax, shop for a new camera and telescope, raise your children, etc. It
will take a while for the light of it to get here.

"Bwzr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TSj1d.10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a Chevy Nova once. It wasn't super at all, though.
>
> "Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>> bullmordt@yahoo
>> .co.nz says...
>>>
>>>There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.
>>>
>>>How?

>> Big honking telescope, with tracking head.
>> Clear night sky - no ambient light.
>> Patience.
>>
>> Hunt

Phil Wheeler

Bill Bannon wrote:

> If the supernova is happening tomorrow then you should have plenty of time
> to relax, shop for a new camera and telescope, raise your children, etc. It
> will take a while for the light of it to get here.

Love it!

Scott

Simplicity itself.

First, find a star about to explode. If one isn't handy, use your handy
PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator. That should work nicely.

Second, take your camera to the viewscreen/porthole of the spaceship
you are on. Wait for the star to explode. Take picture.

Third, engage warp drive to outrun the explosion.
(Note: be SURE to time steps two and three properly.)

Apteryx

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) >, G.K.
> Konnig <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.
> >
> >How?

> More to the point how do you know there will be a supernova tomorrow?

Some of the OP's trolls on other groups I have visited today have been
much less subtle (eg, on alt.fan.tolkien, "Middle Earth is full of drug
abusers", and on alt.tv.buffy.v.slayer "Buffy is for lamers and
communists only").

This one's not too bad.

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Mark M

"G.K. Konnig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.
>
> How?

How?
Plan more than one day in advance, of course!

Preston Justis

G.K,

"G.K. Konnig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> There is one tomorrow and I must take some photos.
>
> How?

There are actually many currently active SN.................

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists...upernovae.html

You will need a relitively large aperture telescope with a very solid
tracking mount like this....

http://home.earthlink.net/~psjustis/telescope.htm

And then you can find a relitively bright SN in a distant galaxy and get an
image like this...

http://home.earthlink.net/~psjustis/ngc3877sn.htm

(I used a specially treated B&W film for this image, but there are much
better digital CCD imaging
cameras available)

Scott
Preston S Justis