Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > external battery pack for Canon 10D?

external battery pack for Canon 10D?

peter

Other than the canon bg-ed grip (which houses two canon batteries), are
there external battery pack for the 10D? Or is there a way to rig one
myself? The hardest part is attaching the wires to the camera, since it does
not have a plug/jack for external power.

Bill Hilton

>From: "peter" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Other than the canon bg-ed grip (which houses two canon batteries), are
>there external battery pack for the 10D?

My wife has a Quantum Turbo C battery pack that attaches to the tripod hole and
it has an option for a 10D battery substitute plus a slot for a flash battery
booster cord. Greatly extends the battery life. A bit expensive though ...

Bill Crocker

Not sure why you wouldn't want the Canon grip. It give a great grab on the
camera, both horizontally, and vertically! It even has another release
button, when used vertically.

Bill Crocker

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Other than the canon bg-ed grip (which houses two canon batteries), are
> there external battery pack for the 10D? Or is there a way to rig one
> myself? The hardest part is attaching the wires to the camera, since it
> does
> not have a plug/jack for external power.

Eric Gill

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Os_0d.5878$%O5.4378@trnddc07:

> Other than the canon bg-ed grip (which houses two canon batteries),

And provides a very useful grip, especially for portrait orientation, since
it mirrors some of the controls.

I bought an external battery and only use it for the flash; without the
grip the camera is too small for comfort and cannot mount the side strap.

http://www.digitalcamerabattery.com/

> Or is there a way to rig
> one myself? The hardest part is attaching the wires to the camera,
> since it does not have a plug/jack for external power.

No, but it has an internal one, in the battery compartment.

Richard Kaszeta

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Other than the canon bg-ed grip (which houses two canon batteries), are
> there external battery pack for the 10D? Or is there a way to rig one
> myself? The hardest part is attaching the wires to the camera, since it does
> not have a plug/jack for external power.

I've got an external battery pack for mine which is a belt-mounted
lead-acid battery that attaches to the camera through the battery
compartment, with a little cable snaking out to the belt pack.

Works fine, and will power my flash, a 400mm IS lens, and the 10D for
around 1000 shots before I need to plug it in.

If this arrangement interests you, I can go down to the garage and
find the manufacturer.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
(E-Mail Removed)

peter

Please do, and also, how much did you pay for it? Has it been reliable?

"Richard Kaszeta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've got an external battery pack for mine which is a belt-mounted
> lead-acid battery that attaches to the camera through the battery
> compartment, with a little cable snaking out to the belt pack.
>
> Works fine, and will power my flash, a 400mm IS lens, and the 10D for
> around 1000 shots before I need to plug it in.
>
> If this arrangement interests you, I can go down to the garage and
> find the manufacturer.

Richard Kaszeta

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Please do, and also, how much did you pay for it? Has it been reliable?

Found it. It's a "Quantum Turbo" battery from Quantum Instruments
(www.qtm.com), with adapter bits for both BP-511 batteries and a
half-dozen or so flash adapters (I use a Metz one).

It's about 4lbs, and it's been very reliable.

I bought both of mine from a coworker for a below-market price, but
I've seen them for under $200 on E-bay.

Let me know if you don't find one from qtm.com or ebay, if my spare
one works I might part with it.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
(E-Mail Removed)