Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time

Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time

bk

Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time

I've tried 3 SD cards in my Pentax Optio 4Si - Belkin efilm, Kingston,
and PQI. The first two appear to be standard (256MB), the PQI is a fast
card (512MB). PQI doesn't claim any particular speed on its packaging,
but i've seen tests (mostly from PDA-land) that show PQI as a fast card.

I did the following test: turn off instant review mode, go into
continuous shot mode, point camera at a plain background, and see how
many shots i get in 1 minute. I subtract two from the "score" because
the 4Si has a two shot buffer, which continues to empty after i release
the shoot button. With continuous mode i don't think it is refocusing
between, but not sure about that.

With the 2 standard cards, i got 12 (14 - 2) shots in a minute, with the
fast PQI card i got 30 shots. Shot to shot times (after first two shots)
of 5 sec w/ standard cards, 2 sec w/ fast card.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:56:21 -0700, bk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time
>
>I've tried 3 SD cards in my Pentax Optio 4Si - Belkin efilm, Kingston,
>and PQI. The first two appear to be standard (256MB), the PQI is a fast
>card (512MB). PQI doesn't claim any particular speed on its packaging,
>but i've seen tests (mostly from PDA-land) that show PQI as a fast card.
>
>I did the following test: turn off instant review mode, go into
>continuous shot mode, point camera at a plain background, and see how
>many shots i get in 1 minute. I subtract two from the "score" because
>the 4Si has a two shot buffer, which continues to empty after i release
>the shoot button. With continuous mode i don't think it is refocusing
>between, but not sure about that.
>
>With the 2 standard cards, i got 12 (14 - 2) shots in a minute, with the
>fast PQI card i got 30 shots. Shot to shot times (after first two shots)
>of 5 sec w/ standard cards, 2 sec w/ fast card.

Thanks, very interesting!

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

MarkH

bk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4141eb6a$(E-Mail Removed):

> Faster SD card cuts shot-to-shot time
>
> I've tried 3 SD cards in my Pentax Optio 4Si - Belkin efilm, Kingston,
> and PQI. The first two appear to be standard (256MB), the PQI is a fast
> card (512MB). PQI doesn't claim any particular speed on its packaging,
> but i've seen tests (mostly from PDA-land) that show PQI as a fast card.
>
> I did the following test: turn off instant review mode, go into
> continuous shot mode, point camera at a plain background, and see how
> many shots i get in 1 minute. I subtract two from the "score" because
> the 4Si has a two shot buffer, which continues to empty after i release
> the shoot button. With continuous mode i don't think it is refocusing
> between, but not sure about that.
>
> With the 2 standard cards, i got 12 (14 - 2) shots in a minute, with the
> fast PQI card i got 30 shots. Shot to shot times (after first two shots)
> of 5 sec w/ standard cards, 2 sec w/ fast card.

This seems like something that is not too much of a big deal on a camera
with a big buffer, but obviously on you camera it makes quite a noticeable
difference.

Maybe anyone with a camera using SD cards that finds the camera too slow to
clear the buffer should try a faster card like the PQI.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
understand binary and those that don't"