Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fast P&S Digital camera advise please ?

Fast P&S Digital camera advise please ?

NOSPAM

Dear everybody,

I'm looking for a P&S Digital Camera about 3.2 - 4M , for around +/- 300
USD . I want one that has litlle shutter lag time (and picture quality of
course) , mean I want to shoot fast for snapping picture of my baby, that's
a big difficult with old generation of Digital P&S . I'm SLR user and have
Elan 7E, it forcus very fast with the ECF , that why I don't like slow
camera , and till now Canon does not yet release anything digital with
ECF technology .

I have seen on B&H website an Canon PowerShot A85 at 270 USD, do you know if
this one is fast ? I have seen some where ppl say the A80 is better but I
don't know why . If you have anything else recommanding, it'll be
appreciated also . Thanks in advance .

Best regards

Thomas T.

Robert Barr

NOSPAM wrote:
> Dear everybody,
>
> I'm looking for a P&S Digital Camera about 3.2 - 4M , for around +/- 300
> USD . I want one that has litlle shutter lag time (and picture quality of
> course) , mean I want to shoot fast for snapping picture of my baby, that's
> a big difficult with old generation of Digital P&S . I'm SLR user and have
> Elan 7E, it forcus very fast with the ECF , that why I don't like slow
> camera

I finally got rid of my Canon G3 for this reason. That, and there were
too many 'easy' situations that it just couldn't handle. Maddening. I
wound up with one of these, to my surprise:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dx7440.html

I never thought I'd be buying a Kodak.

This thing is really fast relative to the G3. In reasonable existing
light, it's very fast. I've seen specs of 0.2 seconds including focus,
but of course I wouldn't know where to begin measuring an event that
abrupt. I'd believe the spec, though.

For the most part, I love the results. It does pretty much everything
right. The color might be a bit too vivid for some tastes, but that's
adjustable. So is the sharpness. No RAW output, but so what? It's a
P&S, but a nice one.

This is my first venture outside the Canon realm since 1976, and I'm
glad I got rid of that G3 in favor of this thing (+ $$ back into the bank).

About $275, give or take.

[Also a spoiled rotten Elan 7 owner. No ECF, but from my position, it's
how the other half lives!]

,

Ron Baird

Hi Robert,

Glad to hear you decided on the Kodak. Actually, it is one of the best
peforming models. I have used the predcessor to it, 6440 and have been very
pleased. You are in for some great fun. If you think I can help you in the
future, let me know. I am here.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company