Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I Gb compact flash vs 512Mb (or even 256) compact flash

I Gb compact flash vs 512Mb (or even 256) compact flash

Big Bill

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:03:55 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My wife is going to the Antarctic this December. Anyone
>know of a place where she can burn a CD?
>
>With all those penguins you'd think that some of them would
>be running Linux...
>
> ----- Paul J. Gans

If she will be taking a laptop, an external burner will do the job
nicely.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Hunt

says...

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:03:55 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>My wife is going to the Antarctic this December. Anyone
>>know of a place where she can burn a CD?
>>
>>With all those penguins you'd think that some of them would
>>be running Linux...
>>
>> ----- Paul J. Gans

>If she will be taking a laptop, an external burner will do the job
>nicely.
>
>Bill Funk
>Change "g" to "a"

And the heat generated by my Toshiba P25 might be an added benefit! :-}

Hunt

Mitch Alsup

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Rick S. wrote:
>
> > I see I can get a 1 Gb compactflash card for 20 or 30 bucks more than
> > a 512 Mb card.... seems a no brainer to me, I'd like to get a coupla 1
> > G's rather than 4 512's, (I'm going on a long trip and will not have
> > any downloading capability).
> > Is there any reason I should avoid such a big capacity card?
> > Is it the same technology in both?
> > Any body have any failures on gigabyte cards?
> > I'm going to stick with established namebrands, either sandisk or
> > lexar, and my camera can handle the size.
> > thanks ahead of time for any input,
> > Rick

> Theoretically, you are more likely to suffer a single failure if you
> have 4 cards than if you have one card.

Wrong logic. If you have 4 cards and one goes bad you still have
75% of you photos available. When you have a single card and it
goes bad, you are toast.....Its an insurance policy, spread the
risk.

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (Savidge4) writes:

> >when I see the 2gb cards come down in price I'll get a DVD drive.

> SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...73&dcaid=17073
> FREE SHIPPING!
> Buy.com price: $136.99
>

> Better start looking at DVD drives!

Well given DVD burners can now be had for under $60 (Samsung 8x at newegg.com
with cheapest shipping) now might be the time to start looking around.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Mr. M.J. Lush

>I'm going on a long trip and will not have any downloading capability.

If I were going on a long trip without a laptop, I'd be inclined to go
for enough 512Mb CF cards for a day or two's shooting (probably two)
and a standalone protable CD writer.
<http://www.cameraandphotostore.com/shop/detail/item7791006.html>
<http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1183/prodtype.asp>

Every time a card filled up, I'd burn two CD's, one I'd keep, the other
I'd post home. My only worry with this approch is how to verify the files
have been sucessfully transfered...

--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

James Addison

Savidge4 wrote:
> SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...73&dcaid=17073
> FREE SHIPPING!
> Buy.com price: $136.99
>

> Better start looking at DVD drives!

Just as a joke to all of you here, check out this link on my website
regarding getting a 5GB card (really a microdrive) for your camera:

http://www.pjsoft.ca/node/view/296

I saw the original link on Slashdot, so if you're familiar with that
site, you'll realize that some 'handiwork' might be required - but it
apparently works!

Good luck to you if you try it - you'll need it. Don't blame me if you
break anything.

--
James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca

Gadgets

Thanks for the link! Sounds Ok for some situations, but I think the D70
manual mentions that microdrive speeds don't allow full frame rate or
something similar? Wouldn't be a problem most of the time, but for
sports...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Rick S.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:43:01 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Mr.
M.J. Lush) wrote:

>>I'm going on a long trip and will not have any downloading capability.

>If I were going on a long trip without a laptop, I'd be inclined to go
>for enough 512Mb CF cards for a day or two's shooting (probably two)
>and a standalone protable CD writer.
><http://www.cameraandphotostore.com/shop/detail/item7791006.html>
><http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1183/prodtype.asp>
>
>Every time a card filled up, I'd burn two CD's, one I'd keep, the other
>I'd post home. My only worry with this approch is how to verify the files
>have been sucessfully transfered...

Not a bad idea... in fact, I wonder if there is a gadget on the market
that will enable transfer or copy just to another CF card? 2 CF card
failures would not be likely...

Rick S.

On 10 Sep 2004 11:20:09 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Savidge4) wrote:

>>when I see the 2gb cards come down in price I'll get a DVD drive.

>SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
>http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...73&dcaid=17073
>FREE SHIPPING!
>Buy.com price: $136.99
>

>Better start looking at DVD drives!

Savidge, thank you for the info. Major vendor, super low price, name
brand product, so I went and got 2. travel problem solved.
I just wonder, though: Newegg sells the exact same thing for $227!
Is it possible these at Buy.com are 'seconds'? Newegg is a pretty
respected on line vendor; Buy.com is well known, but not as respected
or reviewed. Maybe that's how Newegg survives with the higher prices;
faster shipping, better online support or something.
I usually will go a slightly higher price for those reasons, but in
this case, 90 bucks savings times 2, for a standard off the shelf
commercial item, all that stuff drops away.
Same SANDISK part number, but there's still a part of me that wonders
if they are reconditioned, or 'seconds' or something.

Michael Meissner

Rick S. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:43:01 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Mr.
> M.J. Lush) wrote:
>

> >>I'm going on a long trip and will not have any downloading capability.

> >If I were going on a long trip without a laptop, I'd be inclined to go
> >for enough 512Mb CF cards for a day or two's shooting (probably two)
> >and a standalone protable CD writer.
> ><http://www.cameraandphotostore.com/shop/detail/item7791006.html>
> ><http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1183/prodtype.asp>
> >
> >Every time a card filled up, I'd burn two CD's, one I'd keep, the other
> >I'd post home. My only worry with this approch is how to verify the files
> >have been sucessfully transfered...

Some of the portable CD burners (Apacer, Roadstor) have a verify after writer
where it takes twices as long, but verifies the write was error free. On the
high end models you can also view the pictures on a TV screen (and it is also a
portable DVD viewer as well).

> Not a bad idea... in fact, I wonder if there is a gadget on the market
> that will enable transfer or copy just to another CF card? 2 CF card
> failures would not be likely...

The Delkin USB bridge can copy from a camera or card reader to a disk or a CD
burner, so I imagine it would copy to a card reader, but it would create the
second CF card with the first card's files as a subdirectory (ie, instead of
dcim/100olymp, it would create disk0001/dcim/100olymp).

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)