Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Use a card reader or connect from the camera?

Use a card reader or connect from the camera?

SlipKid

What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
connecting it to your computer.
Nikon D70
Dell Laptop
256mb compact flash card

Thanks All

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "SlipKid"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
>cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
>files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
>connecting it to your computer.
>Nikon D70
>Dell Laptop
>256mb compact flash card

Leave a card reader connected all the time and save the camera battery and
needlessly plugging/unplugging it in my experience. 10,000+ images with my
990 and 3,300+ with my 5700.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Rosanne Cleveland-King

I have a compact card slot on my computer and use that and import them via a
program called PICASA, which is free from Google. I love it because you can
make folders and drag and drop into them.

Rosanne

Phil Wheeler

Card reader.

SlipKid wrote:
> What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
> cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
> files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
> connecting it to your computer.
> Nikon D70
> Dell Laptop
> 256mb compact flash card
>
> Thanks All

Randall Ainsworth

In article <JvN%c.38357$xu6.17521@okepread02>, SlipKid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
> cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
> files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
> connecting it to your computer.

Firewire, baby...Firewire

Mark B.

"SlipKid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
> cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get
> the
> files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
> connecting it to your computer.
> Nikon D70
> Dell Laptop
> 256mb compact flash card
>
> Thanks All

Card reader:
1. It's much faster, especially since most cameras don't have USB 2.0
connection
2. More convenient if you have more than 1 card to download
3. Won't use the camera batteries to do the transfer

Mark

Mike

I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
USB1.1
What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
USB2 and FireWire?

Mike

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:34 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "SlipKid"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
>>cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get
>>the
>>files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
>>connecting it to your computer.
>>Nikon D70
>>Dell Laptop
>>256mb compact flash card

> Leave a card reader connected all the time and save the camera battery and
> needlessly plugging/unplugging it in my experience. 10,000+ images with my
> 990 and 3,300+ with my 5700.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Michael Meissner

"SlipKid" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
> cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
> files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
> connecting it to your computer.

If I'm taking a bunch of pictures, I likely will use my portable storage device
(currently CompactDrive with a 6 gig disk in it), and download pictures in the
field as I fill up memory cards. However, unless I get really snap happy, I
generally have enough cards to see me through the day. Then I connect the
drive, and download all of the pictures at once via USB 2.0.

Other times, particularly if I only have one memory card full, I will use one
of the card readers I have (at least one by every computer, and another one in
the camera bag).

A few times I will connect one of my cameras directly to the computer and
download that way. However, I don't do it with the main camera, because it is
very much slower than a card reader. Also, this particular camera (Olympus
C-2100UZ) had a problem that a lot of people noticed that if the batteries ran
out during the transfer, it could fry the backplane of the camera, rendering it
useless. However, I believe the problem was fixed in newer models, so I do the
transfer with my pocket camera (Olympus D-40Z).

One concern I have with connecting the main camera to the computer is finding
space on my desktop to hold it, since my desktop is usually piled high with
stuff. If you have more than one memory card, it is a moot point, since you've
already removed the card from the camera.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm new to this (haven't bought a camera yet). I've got a Dell 8200 PC w/
> USB1.1
> What kinld of card reader should I buy? What's the speed difference between
> USB2 and FireWire?

Well if you only have USB 1.1 on your system, then any USB card reader should
do for you. If you have USB 2.0 or Firewire, the speed of your flash memory
will determine how fast your transfer is. I've seen studies that suggest
Firewire is faster than USB 2.0 under Windows, even though theoretically it
should be the other way around. Unless you are transfering gigabytes of
pictures, it probably won't matter too much whether you go with USB 1.1 or
2.0.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

SlipKid wrote:

> What do you use get your pictures to your computer? Do you connect a USB
> cord to your camera or remove the card and use a USB card reader to get the
> files? Is there any advantage or either, can the camera be damaged from
> connecting it to your computer.
> Nikon D70
> Dell Laptop
> 256mb compact flash card
>
> Thanks All

I use whatever method is appropriate to the task. If I have just a few
pictures to transfer, I use the Kodak 'dock'. This is a simple matter
of a singly button press to do the transfer. However, the interface to
which the dock is connected is only USB 1.1, and is a bit slow. If I
have a full card, I take it to my wife's computer and put it into the
internal flash card reader and get the maximum transfer rate the card
will support.
The only way in which the camera will be damaged by connecting it to the
computer for such transfers is if you accidently pull the camera off the
desk by snagging the cord (or a pet, or child does). That was why I
bought a card reader in the first place.