Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > G-6 lens cap corrected

G-6 lens cap corrected

leo

I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at
the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around, does
anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

Louise Bremner

leo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
> at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,
> does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

What an amazingly trivial reason for rejecting a camera....

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Mark B.

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsi5%c.8082$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at
>the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,
>does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1 lenscap
still stays on after several years of use.

Mark

leo

I have a G-1 and you are right my lens cap on my G-1 stay on better than my
X-G-5. Good thing I did not sell it yet.

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsi5%c.8082$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>>I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
>>at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,
>>does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.
>>

> You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1
> lenscap still stays on after several years of use.
>
> Mark

Louise Bremner

Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsi5%c.8082$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> >I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
> >at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked
> >around, does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.
> >

> You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1
> lenscap still stays on after several years of use.

This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

leo

What is a LensMate Adapter? I understand the reason now for having a loose
lens cap now, but when you have your camera over your shoulder, any light
bump, or light handling will loosen the lens cap off without anyone knowing
it, thus getting your lens glass dirty and open to the elements.

"Louise Bremner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gjqv58.km3ih61ymoarkN%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsi5%c.8082$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> >I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
>> >at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked
>> >around, does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.
>> >

>> You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1
>> lenscap still stays on after several years of use.

> This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
> because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
> occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
> the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
> LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

> Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
> If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Louise Bremner

leo <(E-Mail Removed)> top-posted:

> "Louise Bremner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1gjqv58.km3ih61ymoarkN%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Mark B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> My G1 lenscap still stays on after several years of use.

> > This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
> > because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
> > occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
> > the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
> > LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

> What is a LensMate Adapter?

<http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3.html>

(They say they'll have one for the G6 in late September.)

> I understand the reason now for having a loose lens cap now...

Um.... Note that I wasn't totally serious about the reason for the
change....

> ...but when you have your camera over your shoulder, any light bump, or
> light handling will loosen the lens cap off without anyone knowing it,
> thus getting your lens glass dirty and open to the elements.

That can happen even when you are shooting, which is why I liked the
idea of the Lensmate adaptor plus a filter of some sort (even a
plain-glass one).

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

leo

Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due to
lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap because
when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

"Louise Bremner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gjr2o1.d4pzze1g021s0N%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> leo <(E-Mail Removed)> top-posted:
>
>> "Louise Bremner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1gjqv58.km3ih61ymoarkN%(E-Mail Removed). ..

>> > This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
>> > because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
>> > occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
>> > the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
>> > LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

>> What is a LensMate Adapter?

> <http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3.html>
>
> (They say they'll have one for the G6 in late September.)
>
>> I understand the reason now for having a loose lens cap now...

> Um.... Note that I wasn't totally serious about the reason for the
> change....
>
>> ...but when you have your camera over your shoulder, any light bump, or
>> light handling will loosen the lens cap off without anyone knowing it,
>> thus getting your lens glass dirty and open to the elements.

> That can happen even when you are shooting, which is why I liked the
> idea of the Lensmate adaptor plus a filter of some sort (even a
> plain-glass one).

> Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
> If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Mark B.

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y_n%c.9350$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due
> to lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap
> because when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

Exactly. Keep the LensMate attached, with or w/o a skylight or UV filter,
and an accessory lens cap - you'll never have to worry about the Canon cap.
The lens extends inside the LensMate. So not only does it give you options
to attach filters & accessory lenses, it protects the lens mechanism.

Mark

Louise Bremner

Dave Martindale <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due to
> >lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap because
> >when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

> That's right. You can use a locking lens cap if you want. Even if you
> don't use a filter, the LensMate provides room for the lens to extend
> without hitting anything. It also provides mechanical protection for
> the lens; bumping the LensMate simply transfers the shock to the camera
> body instead of the rather more fragile lens barrel getting bumped.
>
> The Canon filter adapter tube also does this, but Canon's tubes are
> plastic while the LensMate is machined aluminum (and thus sturdier).

....and the LensMate also comes in a narrower version.